In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need help with my 38-55 bullets

I just purchased a Marlin 1894cb 38-55. When looking for bullets, they give different bullet diameters. Anywhere from .377 to .379. I'm assuming this is because of lead or jacketed ammo??? Or is this because of the different rifles that were made over the years. Gun hasn't arrived yet, So I can't mic the barrel. Oakie. 

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    You are correct but it is not the different makes of older rifles, it is the bore diameters of the older rifles that can vary from rifle to rifle.  To get accuracy from the old rifles you must measure the bore and match the bullet to the bore.  Reloader Magazine has some excellent articles on this in the last few years.  This also applies to older revolvers.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    +1 for the old stuff had loose standards.  Black powder fouling was part of the design.  I would wait until you have the rifle in hand to stock up one bullets.  Cast bullets are usually sized .001 to .003 over-sized.  Sizing dies for bullets don't always come in every size.  Opening them up to a proper fit is a chore.  Adding antimony to the alloy can help cast larger bullets, while pure lead will cast smaller diameters.  Then there is paper patching and bullet swaging.  There are custom bullet mold makers.

Lever guns aren't the most accurate IMHO, so it sorta up to you how hard you want to work (or spend) to make ammo.
  • SreloadSreload Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Hello, my 1895 CB in 38-55 uses .380 bullets.