In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NO THANKS

spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
got a big fancy waxed envelope yesterday with a disabled vets type charity soliciting money ..included were gifties a large day planner and a solar powered calculator with a pen ( all made in CHINA) ...weelll...charity navigator had them at a zero rating with program paid out at 24.4%, administrate at 7.2%, and fundraising at 68.3%....with the ceo getting $125K a year.... out of maryland....keep the goodies and rest in the trash...but was astounding the millions they had raised ??????????????

Comments

• spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    correction   out of New Hampshire also and a rating score of 28.93 with 4 other similar charities of rating scores in the 90's+...liabilities of 304.8% to assets and  net assets of  negative   $ 6,748,582.00  and total expenses of $ 27,511,790.00
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! I see why they want some of your money. Bob
  • hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    Check the Red Cross if you want to see fraud.  Only thing, they do not allow ANYONE to check their books.  Overhead is about 86% of the many millions collected.  And they will provide free coffee cups, if someone will furnish the coffee for the them to handout while pretending they are furnishing the coffee.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Yep. Red Cross, is one of the last "Charitable" entities, I would ever donate to.

Sorry.

• spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    red crooked cross...  ceo gets over $600k  a year and a mercedes to drive.....heard many stories about them and not a lot of positive except they suck in MILLIONS...but the most obscene beggar after jim baker is mike murdoch of the inspiration  church in texas  this beggar is on about 2am on tv telling you to plant your $1000 seed so you can reap a harvest from him and g o d.........cannot believe anyONE would buy into this blarney
  • chmechme Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭
    We have kicked this around here a few times.  If you are looking to donate, get the EXACT name of the charity, and look up charitynavigator.org  Or you can stop by your local volunteer fire department/ rescue squad, and hand them a check.   

If you want to do something for vets, please allow me to get a plug in for my favorite- the Fisher House Foundation.  Platinum rated charity, one of the 10 best in the US, provides group housing/ meals for families of vets that are being treated at 23 military hospitals.  You can also donate frequent flyer miles to them.   

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    chme said:
    We have kicked this around here a few times.  If you are looking to donate, get the EXACT name of the charity, and look up charitynavigator.org  Or you can stop by your local volunteer fire department/ rescue squad, and hand them a check.   

If you want to do something for vets, please allow me to get a plug in for my favorite- the Fisher House Foundation.  Platinum rated charity, one of the 10 best in the US, provides group housing/ meals for families of vets that are being treated at 23 military hospitals.  You can also donate frequent flyer miles to them.   

+10 on fisher house, they treated my wife like royalty both times I was in the pittsburg VA hospital......
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    Amen Brother.  I pick my own.  mail begs, are erosion control.  At least they are good for something.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    Salvation Army, Mercury One.org or Samaritans Purse.  They get my money, none of the others are worth a tinkers damm in my book.