In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Yet another computer question from me

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
After a year of no printing problems my luck has run out.  My HP laser copies, & scans to file just fine but today I find that I can't print anything - a new e-mail, a saved file in my doc on my drive, or new data from say excel.  Since I can scan and save to the laptop as a file in "doc", the wireless communication seems OK.  Whenever I want to print anything from the computer everything seems OK at first.  I can do a print preview, do all the printer set up features if I want, and I see my printer highlighted. But when I ask to print I am asked for a file name and the document is saved in a "*.prn" format and goes to my document file on the drive and can't be printed from there. 

Any help appreciated,
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭✭
    This is the same place I ask our computer wizard lady for help. She walks in smiling hits one button and lunch is on me.
  • susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    Appears that at some point you are choosing to print to file and the document is saved as a .prn file.  Double check all of your settings when going through the print process to include your defaults.

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Susie,
    Thanks for the reply.
    If I attempt to print anything I begin and go to "file", "print", I get a dropdown which lists from the top my printers and the HP is highlighted.  Just below that section I see a line "status" and reading left to right on that line "ready", "print to file" (with a little square box that is not checked), and  "preferences".
    I hoped that the "print to file" would have been the problem.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    Yep. Somehow you are printing to file instead of to the printer.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Step One in all 'pooter probs: Reboot. Both computer and printer. Do a full off and wait, not just a restart.
    It seems to be a problem internal to the computer, not the printer. Likely somewhere in Settings.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    Uninstall & reinstall printer
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    Jeff, I think you're running Win 10.. If so, try a restart, not a full shutdown..
    Rocky- In Win10,  a restart clears the various dump files and RAM memory..In Previous versions of Windows this was, in fact, accomplished  with a full shutdown..This article offers a good explanation..
    https://www.howtogeek.com/349114/shutting-down-doesnt-fully-shut-down-windows-10-but-restarting-it-does/

Thanks, very kind of you. It figures that they'd change that to be the exact opposite of previous knowledge, right? Yet another reason to hate MS.
    Thanks for the replies guys.  Yes, there is a problem with the #1 laptop.  I can print fine with laptop #2.  Since this post of mine is old and getting buried, I may start a new one.  My thought now is to accept the problem and see if I can print a file on my drive that is on the .prn format.  Things were so much easier when I was just using a slide rule.  :)
    Oh, I see that my original is back to the forum top so I won't post a new question.  If I can learn to print a .prn file, I won't worry about this until I can take the laptop to the shop.

You know what I'm going to suggest with that #1 laptop, right?
    I do Rocky, but it's less than a year old and the best I have (except that it puts everything into a .prn file.  :)