In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My first 22 rifle!! An 1890 Winchester!! What was yours??

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
I was a normal 12-13 year old boy.  I had a pump gun that would fire when you pinned the trigger back and worked the pump.  Trust me, you do not need a semi-auto rifle to burn ammo!!    :p   My rifle was never a tack driver but I could pour enough lead at what I was shooting at that almost always one of the bullets flying down range would hit what I was aiming at!!  
I worked at my Grandmother's grocery store all week to make enough money to order a brick of 22 LRs from Grandma's distributor,  (Yeah, you could buy ammo at grocery stores in the 50s) so I was shooting at cost.  Every Saturday, me, my 1890 and my brick of ammo rode on my bike several miles outside of town.  

Unless it started raining not one round of that brick 22s would ever make it back to town!!  I can work any pump gun in my sleep to this day!!   :)

Comments

• Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    Winchester 121Y.  I took the bolt out to clean it, put it back together with the extractor clips reversed. Thereafter it would fire upon closing the bolt. LGS had to send it back to Winchester to figure out what the problem was.  Later in life I wondered if this issue was why that rifle was discontinued after a relatively short production run. (about 2 years, I think)
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    I received a Winchester 190 for my 8th grade graduation present from my Dad.....I regret the fact I no longer have it.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭

My first .22 was a Single shot Ithaca 49(looks like a Winchester but just a single shot falling block rifle). Shot it til it started not firing anymore and no gunsmith could seem to fix it. Gave it to a friend of mine who wanted a non functioning wall hanger.

• kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭
    First gun I used was the family Win. Model 67. It was a good gun to learn on. First .22 rifle I bought (I was 12 or so) was an Ithica Model 49 Saddlegun. I shot so many shorts through it that it would not eject long rifles no matter how much you polished the chamber. I still have it; haven't shot it for 40 years.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭
    Win model 60. Taken many a small game with that gun. Still have it.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited April 2020
    Revelation .22 bolt action with a cromed bold handle, bought it at Western Auto. It was stolen in 1982. I have yet to find another.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Savage mdl. 24, .22mag over a 20ga. 1st gun I bought myself.

Wish I still had it, but was working night shift at a tobacco warehouse and ended up trading it for a 1952 Win. Mdl. 94 .30-.30. I needed a deer rifle, and "Pug" needed a squirrel gun. Still have the mdl. 94. Beautiful wood on it.

Have yet to see another .22mag over a 20 ga. Thanks to a tip from selectfire, I bought a Savage 24V .30-.30 over a 20ga. A couple years ago.

My most cherished is a Marlin 81DL from my Dads collection that took several years of looking,in order to find the correct magazine lifter parts to get it up and running. (tube fed.) Olympic quality peep sights. I believe it was a military trainer. My Son is deadly accurate with it. My old eyes don't work on it.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    my grampa gave me a model 67 winchester, said he got it from the sears cataloge for $5, still have it, it will soon be my sons to hold for my grandson........
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭✭

Savage / Springfield model 87 A . Brother inherited it when my dad died but I bought one just like it 40 years ago . Still the best 22 I own

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭

First one to shoot Remington targetmaster 41. First one that was mine was a Christmas gift from my parents a Marlin model 60 still have it

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    1968, Remington 700 BDL, 7mm magnum, still carry it today.
    First 22, Marlin Golden 39, never carried it much, failed to eject spent shell too often.
  • spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    when a little kid i found a Colt lightning series 22lr pump in grandads closet ....he died a few years before  and it had a live round in the chamber so i took it our service station and one of the guys got it out and oile it up...still have it about 66 years later...other grandad had a stevens visible loader pump 22lr....still have it
  • dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭✭
    Westernfield bolt action 20ga. from Montgomery Wards. 
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭
    Marlin Golden 39A "Mountie", got it in 1960 after working at my Dad's shop cleaning up and painting after school for the $$. I still have it, and shoot it some. It has a 4X scope on it, and is sighted "dead on" at 25 yards with CCI shorts. Varmint shooter for the yard pests. In fact, I picked off an armadillo night before last that was ripping up a flower bed.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

If I may draw the distinction - the first .22 rimfire rifles that were "mine" in the sense that they were purchased with money that I had earned...

I was 12 and had spent the summer working at the gunships cleaning up and doing manual labor - setting up tables on the gunshow circuit and running the clay pigeon launcher on the weekends trap shoots...

Vickers empire grade falling block single shot .22 rimfire match target rifle with a 28" special heavy bull barrel with flat muzzle and recessed target crown - Parker Hale and redfield international match target grade precision Olympic style sight sets...

Two palm rests and a vintage spirit level anti cant indicator - early hook style vertically adjustable integrated butt plate...

Trigger shoe - externally adjustable trigger weight...

And a set of Martin Galilean tubeless telescopic integrated optics / magnifying sniper sight system.

Mike

• danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Marlin model 60 still have it
    I remember saving up my money to buy it
    first new gun I bought for myself 
  • hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭
    Mom  didn't like  Guns!!    Dad had a  Browning  22 Auto  stashed in the  Garage, we shot it  a few time  when I  was young. We moved to Switzerland when I was 11. He  must have sold it.
    Years later  he asked if  I could  find one for  him,  He balked at the Price  but  settled for a Norinco ATD 22 Rifle.  He  enjoyed shooting that. But had to keep it at my place. Still have it  after he passed away  25 years ago.
     My first  rifle I bought for my self was a Stevens  416 target  rifle. Used it was  $75.00 in 1986, still in the  safe today.
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • jarjar Member Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    The first gun I was allowed to use all on my own was a mossberg moldel  19 ? it was a bolt action 20ga with a selecta choke. it was my grampas. it became mine when he passed a few yrs ago. my first 22 was a ithaca 49  single shot, I got it for christmas when I was 11yrs old . the first shotgun that was all mine was also a christmas gift at 12yrs old it was a ithaca super single 66 20ga lever action . and yes I still have it. I get it out every now and then for a nostalgic squirrel hunt. ( mostly walking thru the woods remembering hunts of past with gone loved ones ) but it will still bring home a bushy tail 
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    My first one was a Crack Shot 26 and I still have it.  Wish I knew how many miles it had on it!
  • lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

My first 22 was (and still is) an old Wards Westernfield made by Mossberg. It had belonged to Grandfather. I also was gifted his Winchester 1897 shotgun. My first gun was a Mossberg 183t 410 that I received as Christmas present when I was 10.

• kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭

I think I was 10 when Mom bought me a Stevens semi-automatic for Christmas. A year later my Dad gave me a Winchester Model 42 at Christmas....man what great shotgun it was too! He probably had it on layaway with my Uncle Jeff as he owned a small country store and had a rack of guns in it, plus he would order one from the factory if requested.

What's next?
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
     my first 22 which also led me to my 1st gun shop visit. 
      I  acquired  a Stevens visible loading 22 from a relative  45 years or so ago ( great uncle who I traded guns with for many years  after that first rifle ) 
        I had it for several years but wanted a 'new" ruger 10-22 with a passion (  think Ralphie and his red ryder ) .so I drove to to a some what local gun shop ( 23 miles or so  and  there still in business ) ask about trading in my prize Stevens 22  he looked it over  told me he would give me like 20 to 25.00 trade value . I think the ruger was 89.00  at his store  but they jacked the price up on it because I wanted to trade . 
       ahhh  sorry I can not type what I told him , but left with my rifle and  a month or two later  discovered gun shows wow who knew LOL turning point in my life 
    that was a huge down fall for my saving money after that day ... but I did get a ruger 10-22  a short time later . both rifles are long gone but I do have 4 or 5 ruger 10-22's  and spare parts to up grade  and gave both sons one as there first gun 
    as for the Gun shop   I visited over the years I have bought guns ammo and reloading items from them  but never ask to trade in any thing to any gun shop again .. ( I get it  over head,  profit , dealer cost , , waiting on just the right buyer ,,,,,,,,every time I seen pawn stars rattling on to there customers when buying something   It takes me back to that  first day at a GS day dealing on the rifle ) 

I just plain enjoy taking my Remington nylon Apache .22 rimfire semiautomatic rifle out for range day fun and recreational shooting - not only do I enjoy the vintage feel of the gun including the scope - it's visual black and chrome bright work attract positive attention and generated good contacts and conversation.

It's a special gun for sure.

Mike

• sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

Savage model 4 purchased off the used rack at G.I.Joes when I was 12 or 13. Still have it.

Arrivederci gigi
  • DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    savage170 said:

First one to shoot Remington targetmaster 41. First one that was mine was a Christmas gift from my parents a Marlin model 60 still have it

My first .22 was a Remington Targetmaster 41-P (with the hooded front sight).  It was a single-shot bolt action.  I was 12 years old when I got it.  It was stolen in 1985 (along with several other guns) and I wish I had it back.  I do have another Remington 41 that I got from a friend.  It also was stolen along with the other guns, but I found it in a pawn shop several years ago.  
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    O. F. Mossberg and Sons Inc. Model 151M-B .22 LR & Mossberg Scope no. M4c. No serial number. Made from 1947 to 1958. It's the first .22 rifle that I shot back in the 50s. It's still in the safe but I"ve not shot it in several years now. 

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭

I got a Winchester 190 for Christmas when I was 9 years old I believe. Still have it, planning on giving it to my newborn grandson when he is about that age

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    572 fieldmaster Remington bought for me at a k mart. Wouldn't shoot if left one in the chamber overnight. Had the gun about two weeks and took it back . K mart refunded .  Bought a Remington 513T Matchmaster.  513T was given to my nephew a couple yrs ago
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    I had access to what I needed when I was a kid (and one was very similar to the 2nd one of Smitty's at least the bolt and receiver looked like that). But, when I got married and moved out, my wife bought me a nice new stainless / green laminate10/22 Ruger. Then, she knew I loved synthetic stocks so she got me one of those and told me to pick out a scope. So, I have had it since ~1991 or so and had shot it so much that it had started to get inaccurate so bought a take-off barrel for it and still shoot it. Early on, we would rapid fire it a lot with full 30 and 50 round mags, sometimes with a hell-fire or BMF trigger and I think it just overheated too many times.
    My first 22 handgun was actually my first gun I owned. It is a S&W 422. I have since collected the whole series (422, 622, 2206, 2213, and 2214) as well as its precision cousin the model 41.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Winchester Model 1906 when I was twelve. Little brother got a matching one. The Christmas before my dad passed away.
  • kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭
    I also have the first .22 my dad owned (Stevens Favorite bought for $5 used in 1935) and the first .22 my uncle owned (a Win. Model 72 he got for his 10th birthday in 1939). Lots of memories when I get the old .22s out. 
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    First one shot was an Ithaca 49. First one I owned was a Sears Ted Williams branded Winchester Model 250 I bought saving the $6 a week paper route money I earned. 7yrs later did a couple of trades with that ending with a brand new Ruger 10/22. Now I have one safe that's full of .22's.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    Ruger 10/22.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    My first .22 was a shaky old Stevens Favorite that I liberated from my great uncle after the 1951 flood. He wouldn't retrieve it from the old shack he was living in. I always wanted a pump Winchester so when I could afford it I went .22 crazy. My last two were an 1890 LR and a model 75 Sporting..
    standard.jpg
  • IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭

Winchester 9422

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    J. C. Higgins built by the old High Standard.  High Standard never built that model (30) under their own name, just for Sears.  Semi Auto.  Still have it, still shoots better than I do.  Put a lot of rabbits and squirrels on the table with that one.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    My brother one year for Christmas bought me a Squires Bingham model 20, still have it 42 years later.

This platform An interesting take on this particular question of design...

Every day learning more details about more firearms...

Mike

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Winchester Model 1906 when I was twelve. Little brother got a matching one. The Christmas before my dad passed away.