In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Unemployment Compensation

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in General Discussion
I filled for unemployment starting the week of March 16th. My daughter filled starting 2 weeks later from the same job. My daughter started getting paid 2 weeks ago but I didn't receive a dime. I was starting to think that there was some sort of problem with mine. My state tax return was off some $1,000 this year. Seems me in the state are having some kind of problem. Looked at my checking account this morning to find that they deposited $* into my account. This just  doesn't seem right to me but I'm not gonna complain. 

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited April 2020
    I continue to advise members not to disclose specific details of their personal finances. How much you received in unemployment compensation is your own business and not the business of the forum. If you REALLY feel that we need to know how much money you have received then feel free to go back and edit my edit.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    Mark I was just trying to make a point as to how absurd this whole thing is. This is what you get when you only have a part time job that earns you $900 a month when your working.  I am just one person then add up all the other people out there basically getting the same amount, that is a whole lot of money.  The $900 a month is only a potion of my income and doesn't in any way disclose the total amount that I earn. 
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited April 2020
    There's no forum rule about disclosing your income; I was using my own judgement based on previous income revelations made during the 2008-2010 economic crisis. Many forum members were, shall we say, less than enthusiastic to learn of the compensation which other members were receiving, deserved or not, when they were struggling on far less- or nothing.  No one is stopping you from going back to the original post and filling in the blanks. 
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    Unemployment insurance is paid by you and your employer.  No matter the circumstances during your life your recouping of this money will never happen.  In Ohio the max a single person can get is $480.a week.  That number has not gone up in decades.  Anyone expecting to get made whole by a job loss that is no fault of yoru own is setting themselves up for disappointment and frustration
    For the life of me I can't see how folks think having government in charge of their healthcare, safety or freedoms is a good idea.
    The extra money you got, if any, was the $600 a week from the Feds for the China Virus.  Don't worry, yo will pay it back eventually in the form of increased taxes so Nancy Pelosi can buy more $25,000 freezers and fill them with $18.00 a pint ice cream.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    I was surprised  wife signed up and just a few days later she was getting money a couple weeks  later  the  extra 600 ( 540 they take taxes out WTH )  so she is content to stay home and get some projects done she has had on the  want to get list for some time 
     were  in  Ohio 
     surprised because  all the people waiting and frustrated on the system for unemployment   they gave my wife a number  ( she said in on the unemployment site also ) that  if you were  laid off due to the virus / shutdown some huge group blanket number she swears why hers and her co-workers went thru so fast 
     side note we have not received our stimulus money ( I am on SS  nothing yet and she  (we ) had to pay taxes so she had to go on line give them a bank account number suppose to get there  eventually 
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a peep from Florida 
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe there are only 3 states which mandate employees having to pay into their states unemployment insurance (UI) fund and they are AR, NJ, and PA.  Unless laws have recently changed.

Corporations and employers pay UI tax at a rate determined by the fed and state. Fed taxes employers at a set flat rate around 6%. Both fed and state govts manage funds.
    Few people understand employers are the ones who end up paying UI claims.  
  • neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    chiefr - in Arkansas the employees do not pay into the state unemployment fund.  Only the employers.  Has been that way since at least 1985.  Currently new employers rate is 3.1% of the first $7k of an employees payroll. so the most a new employer will pay into the fund for each employee is $217.00.  That percentage goes up over time if the employer has claims against them that allow the employees to draw unemployment.   The highest rate I have seen is 14.2%, but again on only the first $7k per person.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    One of my guys is receiving unemployment even though he refused the work I offered him. HQ apparently thought he "deserved" it.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭
    neacpa said:
    chiefr - in Arkansas the employees do not pay into the state unemployment fund.  Only the employers.  Has been that way since at least 1985.  Currently new employers rate is 3.1% of the first $7k of an employees payroll. so the most a new employer will pay into the fund for each employee is $217.00.  That percentage goes up over time if the employer has claims against them that allow the employees to draw unemployment.   The highest rate I have seen is 14.2%, but again on only the first $7k per person.
    Your right, I abbreviated wrong, should have been AK not AR.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    I once got a check for 36 dollars a week but went back to work.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,818 ✭✭✭✭

Never have needed it..., Thank goodness

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    My granddaughter's restaurant is putting together plans and schedules for whenever our idiot governor Polis decides to allow small businesses to make money again. She is having trouble getting furloughed employees to commit to coming back to work because they are getting paid so much for just staying home. Colorado state unemployment pays about 60% of their normal income. Plus, the Feds kick in an extra $600 a week. Since they are furloughed, not layed off, they do not have to keep a log of their job searches. Just go online once every two weeks and reclaim your handouts. After 26 weeks that runs out but it will probably get extended, again.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    us55840 said:
    I've never collected a penny in unemployment.  I did apply once back in the late 60's but got a job the next day so that ended that.  Those who are to selective in what they do or how much they get paid and would rather collect unemployment are not held with much regard IMO.
    Any person who WANTS a job, can get one.

If one is healthy, then I am apt to agree. However, those of us with health issues, the options go down sometimes dramatically.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.