S & W 18-3 (k-22) ?

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭
I just picked up a very nice 18-3, the left grip has the ser. # STAMPED inside while the right grip is just marked 'K'. is this correct?

k22.jpg 860.8K


  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,365 ✭✭✭
    That looks right for a 1973 gun.  As long as what I call the right grip is what you call the left grip.
  • JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    The right grip is the one at the palm of a right hand shooter...
  • Silver Star 5301Silver Star 5301 Member Posts: 40
    I bought a K22 at an auction a few years ago. Didn't know anything about them, but have now scored a few kit guns and the .22 mag version.   They are fun to shoot, and not as costly as the .22 Pythons.   Now that I know about them, I keep an eye out for good buts at local auctions.  Good sound investment.  In ten years yours will be valuing double or better.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭
    It should be. Many times S&W only marked on side of the grip panels with a serial number, especially the earlier ones like yours.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭
    Model 18's, and K 22 Masterpiece, were two different models. Although both were on the K frame platform.  Generally the 18's, had a 4" barrel, and ramp front sight. The Masterpiece, had a 6" barrel with a Patridge front sight. The 6" Masterpiece was the more common of the two. Very popular with "Bullseye" shooters, till almost all migrated to 22 autos. As the selling price was virtually the same, when both were still in production. Most folks bought the 6" K 22, over the 4" Model 18. 
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭
    My 6" K-frame .22 LR is a 17-3 from a similar era and only one grip panel is stamped also. 

    Stay safe. 
Sign In or Register to comment.