In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cast bullet selection for 1911

I'm waiting for some parts to arrive so i'm looking for bullets to order while I wait. I wanted to inquire about what types of bullets shapes best cycle in the 1911. It was designed for the hard ball. I've been reloading a few different cast & coated RN bullets from Missouri Bullet. 

I was curious if any of you have any issue with the SWC or TC style bullets not feeding? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    My favorite cast 45 ACP bullet is Lyman 452374.  I almost never have seen a pistol they don't feed well in.  Depends on the magazine and OAL mostly to get HP and other shapes to feed properly IMHO.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    One of my favorite target bullets for the 45 ACP is the old Hensley & Gibbs 215 SWC.  It may take some ramp polishing to get it to feed.  In round ball form I like the 230 grain plated bullet sold by Berry's Bullets from St. George, UT.  They have their own web site or you can get them from various commercial sources.  They plate the bullet heavily enough to function like standard ball FMJ.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    Lee makes a great SWC in a 6 cavity that I use a lot it is a close copy of the Hensley and Gibbs #68.  I never have had SWC feed issues with any 45 I ever had.  Adjusting the seating depth until the gun was happy seemed to be the trick.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    bpost said:
    Lee makes a great SWC in a 6 cavity that I use a lot it is a close copy of the Hensley and Gibbs #68.  I never have had SWC feed issues with any 45 I ever had.  Adjusting the seating depth until the gun was happy seemed to be the trick.
    LEE 90310 * LEE 6-CAVITY BULLET MOLD * 452-200-SWC * .452 DIA * 200 GR * 90310

This one?
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭
    When I was shooting the indoor Bullseye League, I loaded the 200 gr. lead SWC over a light load of PB powder.  It functioned very well AFTER I tuned the pistol by cutting about two coils off the recoil spring to function with the light load.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    bambambam said:
    bpost said:
    LEE 90310 * LEE 6-CAVITY BULLET MOLD * 452-200-SWC * .452 DIA * 200 GR * 90310

This one?

YUP!  The only issue I had was getting the sizing die depth set correctly to prevent getting lube in the bevel base.  Once adjusted you can fill the grease groove and have a dry base that does not contaminate the powder with lube