In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt Navy 1851 and Remington New Model 1858

Mullen CoinsMullen Coins Member Posts: 25
I am not an expert on such guns but I picked up these two recently and wanted to get opinions on importance and potential value.    The Remington appearance is good...   no rust and only minor nicks on grips.   Can't find a serial number but gun is marked as patented Sept 14, 1858.    Has "C. A. 1872" engraved forward of cylinder.  Trigger mechanism works but cylinder does not spin properly.    The other is a Colt Navy 1851 with serial number 116114 - assume made in late 1860s to early 1870s.   Trigger mechanism does not work.   Some light pitting from rust.   Welcome any feedback on these guns.  
Colt

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Your pic's are too dark for me to see anything, however the Remington has been converted to cartridge - bored threw cylinder.  Also it's stamped "C.A. 72", its not a safe bet 1872.
    46 Rimfire maybe.  from wiki 
    In 1868, Remington began offering five-shot metallic cartridge conversions of the revolver in .46 rimfire. Remington paid a royalty fee to Smith & Wesson, owners of the Rollin White patent (#12,648, April 3, 1855) on bored-through revolver cylinders for metallic cartridge use. The Remington Army cartridge-conversions were the first large-caliber cartridge revolvers available, beating even Smith & Wesson's .44 American to market by nearly two years.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited May 2020
    Take the grips off the Remington. Serial number should be on the bottom of the grip frame.
  • Mullen CoinsMullen Coins Member Posts: 25
    Serial number is 143738 above that are the numbers 209
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭
    Colt 1851 serial number 116114 was made in 1861 per R.L. Wilson's listings. With that DOM, there is a fair chance it saw some action in the Civil War. If Civil War provenience can be proven, the more detailed the better, that would greatly increase the value. The full serial number should be in four places on the underside, and a partial number on the cylinder. If the numbers match, that adds value also. As with any old guns, condition is a major factor in determination of value. Your photos are way to dark to even guess at the condition, but the backstrap and grips do appear to show some use.
  • Mullen CoinsMullen Coins Member Posts: 25
    I sincerely appreciate the expert opinions.  Here are close up images with better lighting of the Colt.    I will also post the same for the Remington.  No Civil War provenience known and all the serial numbers match. 

• yonsonyonson Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭
    Pictures would be better if taken in "open shade".  This means outdoors in daytime, in shade such as a building, blue sky above.