In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My first 22 rifle!! An 1890 Winchester!! What was yours??

2»

Comments

• Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    Mohawk, that Winchester has sentimental value beyond belief.  I'm glad you got that before his passing.  Good memories are so important.
  • spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    colt lightning series 22lr pump.....then a stevens visible loader ...still got em
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭
    My first .22 rifle is my M.O.A. receiver build using only ebay purchased parts. They were banning gun parts and they wanted to be on that high horse. As my one finger salute I put one together. Spent more than I should've because of the individual shipping (no free shipping back then). I wonder if it took me longer to find and build than ebay doing about face on their policy?
  • fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
    I Got a Glenfield 60 for Christmas in '73. $39.95 at K-Mart IIRC.
    I burned through brick after brick of ammo, to the point that I got sort of tired of it. One summer I swapped it for an Ithaca 49 and have loved single shots ever since. I kick myself at least once a week for trading it off. 
    I'm currently restoring a Glenfield 60 made in '73.
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭

When i was 8 , Dad won a Winchester 190 in a contest and gave it to me,, I shot it so much after about a year it would double about every other trigger pull,, After about a month of that it would go full auto most of the time.. being a kid i thought it was great.. First time my Father saw it dump 10 rounds in about 2 seconds it went away and he gave me his model 62 Winchester that he owned since his youth,, I still have it

• armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    thanks Mike I'll have to check out that book. :)
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    dreher said:
    Mohawk, that Winchester has sentimental value beyond belief.  I'm glad you got that before his passing.  Good memories are so important.
    Maybe not the most valuable gun that I own  $$$$-wise. It is priceless to me though. 
    My dad told me that he got it from a friend of his own father's after being challenged to climb a fence for it as a young kid himself.  Then, in Amarillo, TX he found the same model for sale in a pawn shop down the street from his law office. He bought it and that is how my brother and I ended up with them. I was the oldest son, so I got the "original". 
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

Bump - BTT

Mike

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    Marlin model 99-C.  Got it for Christmas in 1964.  Still have it.  Much nicer than the later and similar model 60.  It has a nice walnut stock and a gold plated trigger.
  • wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭
    winchester 290 that I still have