In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mystery Revolver Question

Capital_NickCapital_Nick Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
A number of years ago my grandfather had a revolver.  I was pretty young at the time and don't remember much about it.  It was either a .22 or .25.  Small frame.  Blued finish.  5 or 6 inch barrel.  The retail box it was in said "Lucky 7" or "Lucky Number Seven" in big letters because it was a 7 shot.  I want to say the box might have been green or green and brown.  My uncle has unfortunately since sold it so I don't even have a reference anymore.

It's a real crap shoot, but does anyone have any idea what it could have been or who the manufacturer was?  Has anyone ever come across the same box?

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    I just sold a H&R Trapper Model .22 revolver, and it held 7 shots.

So, it ain't necessarily a Rohm.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    RG started in the 1950's.  I'm thinking something older like Iver Johnson, Hopkins and Allen or some Belgian or Spanish knockoff/clone.

added Well perhaps you should consider looking at some old catalogs like a Sears and Roebuck 1900's catalog it might jar your memory a little.  I once had a nice little H&R 9 shooter.  The cylinder pin was used to push out the empties but I think it had a notch in the shield so rounds could be pushed into the empty cylinder.  It was a very good shooting pistol, shouldn't have gave it away.  Just a thought a 7 could be a worn 9 on an old box.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Similar to this style but this one is a six shot.  Barrel wasn't as long.  Maybe half or just over half.  Could have been an RG as he was born in 1916.  I don't think his was a magnum.  And I *think* it wasn't a swing-out.  You had to take the cylinder out completely to reload.  At least that's what my fuzzy memory remembers seeing when my dad was unloading it one day back in the early 90's.  But the gun was much older.

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Comprehensive reference books on revolvers will probably be the most help. Searching the internet these days becomes more a problem than a solution.
    Model 1 Revolver

Originally called the Seven Shooter, the Model 1 was introduced in 1857.  This .22 rim fire revolver was the first practical cartridge revolver and its introduction heralded the end of percussion firearms.
    Best.

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    If it was a 7 shot, and the cylinder had to be removed to load/unload, it was either a Iver Johnson 1900, or a H&R Trapper.
  • Options
    TRAP55 said:
    If it was a 7 shot, and the cylinder had to be removed to load/unload, it was either a Iver Johnson 1900, or a H&R Trapper.

Neither of those styles match what I remember.  I should restate what I said about the cylinder.  It definitely wasn't a swing-out.  But I think you might have been able to load and unload it without having to take it out.  My dad did so because I think he wasn't sure on how to get the rounds out that were already in there.  So he just ended up taking the whole cylinder off.
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
    Iver J. had a short barrel.  Trapper seems to fit the description but don't know about "Lucky Seven".  Using the cylinder pin to remove spent brass is un-handy, a nail works just fine.