In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

338 Mag Miss Fire Amunition

member9472member9472 Member Posts: 12
I bought 10 boxes of Hornady 338 Mag 225 Grain SST, I have 1 to 3 Miss fires per box 
I now have 9 miss fire cartridges in 4 boxes,  I Bought 3 different brands of bullets
I shot off 120 rounds with no miss fires, I tried the Hornady again and another miss fire
This is a Bran new Winchester Super Grade gun, Is any one else having issues with Hornady 
338 Mag Bullets.  Please let me know      

Comments

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭
    getting a good or lite strike on primer 
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Logic would dictate that if you had no failures with the other brands of ammunition but then failure again with the Hornady that there is something amiss with the Hornady ammunition.
    Call Hornady and discuss with their technicians. They will want you to ship the ammo back for testing or chances are that they already know about the problem and they will help with some form of compensation. Skip all the belabored complaints and solve the problem.

Best.

• shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭✭

Exactly what nononsense stated, snap a few pics and email Hornady, explain how the other ammo works fine. They are pretty good at taking care of their customers.

• member9472member9472 Member Posts: 12
    Hi Again, I should have also put on my message. I did contact Hornady, I did send them pictures, 
    They said it was my gun. they do not want the bullets back, and that I should send my gun in for repair. 
    The primers on the Hornady are also counter sunk a bit. This also makes not a perfect indent for the fire pin.
    I am just wondering If any one else has these bullets and are experiencing the same problem. 
    Hornady also sent me a Link for how primers are made and how full proof they are. 

edited May 2020
    You need to start rattling the chains of the higher ups in the Hornady organization. Obviously the underlings are trying to avoid a problem they know exists by telling you that the problem is yours.
    Jason Hornady - VP of Sales
    He can be reached but you have to get insistent about the problem. He is also a member of LinkedIn if you are a part of that system.
    If you send ammunition as an example of the problem, you have to get their approval first in order to ship it.

Best.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Compare/measure from the top of the belt to the base of the case with the brands you had no trouble with. Sounds to me like a headspace problem causing light primer strikes. Bob
    BobJudy said:
    Compare/measure from the top of the belt to the base of the case with the brands you had no trouble with. Sounds to me like a headspace problem causing light primer strikes. Bob
    Did you read this or just skip over it?
    I bought 10 boxes of Hornady 338 Mag 225 Grain SST, I have 1 to 3 Miss fires per box 
    I now have 9 miss fire cartridges in 4 boxes,  I Bought 3 different brands of bullets
    I shot off 120 rounds with no miss fires, I tried the Hornady again and another miss fire
    This is a Bran new Winchester Super Grade gun, Is any one else having issues with Hornady 
    Then look at the picture and read his comments.
    This is an ammunition problem which is being avoided by Customer Service, plain and simple. Move up the chain of command until you get someone who wants to be responsible to fix the problem.
    Best.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    BobJudy said:
    Did you read this or just skip over it?
    Then look at the picture and read his comments.
    This is an ammunition problem which is being avoided by Customer Service, plain and simple. Move up the chain of command until you get someone who wants to be responsible to fix the problem.
    Best.

Since the 338 headspaces on the belt it could be that is the ammo problem. I figured if he found any difference in dimension from the shoulder of the belt to the rim it could be that the ammo is chambering to deeply causing light strikes. Just one more thing to check and if it is the case to pass on the info to Hornady. Just looking at the pics will tell you nothing without accurate measurements to refer to.

Best. Bob
    Most of the average public doesn't have the ability to measure or assess headspace because they don't have the proper instruments or gauges. I've measured more belts and headspace than you'll ever see and just grabbing your calipers is not the answer because they lack the resolution and the user lacks the ability. The possibility of some of the Hornady going boom and the rest being failures is slim pickings on the headspace front let alone all of the other ammunition working properly. Logic and experience usually dictates another problem.
    Now, I could be wrong but I doubt it. ;):)
    Best.

• TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    I know my eyes aren't what they use to be, but is it me, or do those primers look like they're a little deep in the primer pocket?
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    TRAP55 said:
    I know my eyes aren't what they use to be, but is it me, or do those primers look like they're a little deep in the primer pocket?
    They sure look deep to me too.
This discussion has been closed.