In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I am just old fashioned, but.........If I am a store-owner, in my own store, and a riot breaks out..........and someone smashes my window and tries to make entry to loot my business.......I might feel physically threatened and fear for my life.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Dead folks don't talk . I have insurance.
  • Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    If ever put into a situation, the first words out of your mouth should ALWAYS be: "He/she/they threatened to kill me and I feared for my life"
    edited May 2020
    By now it should be painfully obvious that when it comes to defending lives and property, the police are ineffective to the point of being useless. They can't/won't even defend their own police station. Police are very good at writing traffic tickets, busting down doors at zero-dark-thirty to serve warrants (serving warrants being one of their primary functions), and enforcing laws- but only when people decide to obey those laws. Otherwise, if your place of business is under threat from looters and you call the police, you should have no reasonable expectation of the police forcing the mob back. You have to do that yourself.   
    I have contended for a long time that the police are NOT legally bound to protect or serve......we are seeing evidence of that now.

My opinion has been ruled on by the Supreme Court in 1989 DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services, and again in 2005 Castle Rock v. Gonzales.

Also, following the shooting at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas H.S. The students filed suit, naming six defendants, including the Broward school district and the Broward Sheriff’s Office , as well as school deputy Scot Peterson and campus monitor Andrew Medina.

However, a federal judge ruled that the government agencies " had no constitutional duty to protect students who were not in custody."

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    The way I figure it, if I'm standing in front of my store with my rifle, and a mob comes at me, they're going to have to go over me to get into the store, so they are endangering my life. I'm defending myself, not my stuff.
    nunn said:
    The way I figure it, if I'm standing in front of my store with my rifle, and a mob comes at me, they're going to have to go over me to get into the store, so they are endangering my life. I'm defending myself, not my stuff.
    But....as you know.....in Texas and other Castle Doctrine States......PROPERTY may be defended with deadly force AT NIGHT.......
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    We don't have any stupid "Duty to Retreat" laws here in Utah. Breaking and entering an occupied structure is deemed prima facie intent to do * harm. (The auto censor thinks my asterisk may be harmed, apparently.) The LAW here says your life is in danger in such an instance, and you may use whatever level of force is required.
    DAMN good law.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    Lives can't be replaced but property can. Learn it and love it as it's being forced down your throat. Sooner you get it through your thick melons your government overseers can get things done. Now where did they hide the green font? No seriously where did they hide it?
    Also see these cases..........Lozito v. New York City and Warren v. District of Columbia..........

Case law lays it all out.......cops don't have a duty to protect anyone specifically. They arrive after the fact and investigate.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    If I was a business owner I would keep a cot, a mini fridge, a microwave, and a hot plate somewhere in the place.  It would be my home away from home and anyone trying to destroy it would get what's coming to them!
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭
    Minnesota is a DEMOCRAT state. 
    Hell, DEMOCRATs don't even want you to own guns unless you are a criminal, therefore, I can understand Minnesota making it illegal to defend your property.  
    DEMOCRATs have a long established history of being weak on crime.  DEMOCRATs present a FAR greater threat to ones freedom and property rights than the rioters and looters.  
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    I knew the police in these small towns primary function is to collect and serve.Must be the same way in big cities now.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

No Sir. You have no duty to retreat from a space (car, house, anywhere, etc.) You are lawfully in the right of being in such place. It does not dictate day or night. Perhaps your State is different.

Your cases discuss situations in NY State and the District of Columbia. Enough said.

edited May 2020

No Sir. You have no duty to retreat from a space (car, house, anywhere, etc.) You are lawfully in the right of being in such place. It does not dictate day or night. Perhaps your State is different.

Your cases discuss situations in NY State and the District of Columbia. Enough said.

Yeah.....your statement doesn't apply to states like California, in that commie * state, you DO have a duty to retreat.

As, I stated..............thank God I live in the country of Texas. Everything is different here. 
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
      when Ohio started allowing there ccw   I was in some of the fist classes to get one we had several LEO and instructor and local GS owners doing the class I was in ( waste of time but thats another story ) 
        any way it came up about it has to be self defense not allowed to shoot any one for just breaking in or stealing ( law may have changed since then ) a early morning class the LEO said  one fellow ask so I am watching the ball game a couple people walk in /break in go over and just take my TV,  I am not allowed to shoot them ..     yes that's correct if they do not threaten or harm you ..
      he ask what if I just shoot the TV that way at least they cant use it >> 
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    The blame should go to the mayors in not directing their police departments to protect these properties.  Different times my friends ;)
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Come to my House or "Business," Break In, and see how that works out for you.

Sue me.

Around here. That is not going to fly.

Your View May Differ. (YVMD)

• mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    I think even if you are threatened by these protesters terrorists you will not have a "normal" self defense case and could be in for civil trouble even if you got off legally.

terrorists
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    I'm gonna go with the Koreans on this one.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    The Koreans did a pretty good job defending their businesses during the last riots in L.A.
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭
    For the most part, police are an after-the-fact organization.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited June 2020
    gruntled2 said:
    The Koreans did a pretty good job defending their businesses during the last riots in L.A.
    +1

I was living in CA back in 1992. If anyone was prosecuted for defending their property I don't remember hearing about it. 
    gruntled2 said:
    +1

I was living in CA back in 1992. If anyone was prosecuted for defending their property I don't remember hearing about it. 
    yeah......I call BS on that.....Rooftop Koreans killed looters and were neither identified nor prosecuted.