In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hi-Standard Experts......

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,347 ***** Forums Admin
This Hi-Standard Model 102 Supermatic Citation belongs to an 85 yo neighbor. His brother bought it new in the '50s?, '60s?. If you folks could offer up a DOM, and value, that would be great. TIA for any help. BTW, the short barrel measures 4-7/16" OAL.
S/N 805494.

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,971 ******
    1958 supermatic citation, nice. (slant grip)
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    I was just checking John Stimpsons, High Standard write up in the Blue Book. Looking at least $1200, this is before the Chinese Crud. How that will affect the price of high quality, collectors guns. I don't know.

The extra barrels that came with the Supermatics, were 8"& 10". Unless the short barrel was special order, not likely original. Same, same with the grips. The Citation came with plastic grips. The grips on the Citation now, normally came with the more expensive Trophy model. They also might have been special order. 

Best thing to do, is contact John Stimpson. And have him research it. He has his own H-S web site. If the grips and barrel are special order. It would make it substantially more valuable. IMHO.
  • John J StimsonJohn J Stimson Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    805,494 shipped as a catalog number 9260 to account number 9395 on invoice number 28339. The date is open but the surrounding guns were shipping in late March 1958 and April 1958.

The box is for  previous 100 and 101 design series  guns as evidenced by being two short and having the "accessory" box.  Someone has put a hole in the box so that the gun can be in the box with the stabilizer installed.

This is an interesting assemblage of parts.  

The grips are not original to the gun not were they optionally available at the time of shipment.  The early guns had small eagle logo inserts in the grips and only the Supermatic Trophy had the walnut grips.  These are the large eagle grips.

The short barrel is not original to the gun as it is from some time later.  It is the short barrel from the Supermatic Tournament model.  The early 102 series pistols did not have the barrel retaining stud retained by a cross pin. the 6.75" barrel is not pinned and the 4.50" barrel is pinned.  There are very very few two barrel sets and very very very few special orders.  

My forum was discontinued by the host some time ago and my website is being diminished because of unauthorized postings of my copyrighted materials.

I haven't been active with the Blue Book  of Gun Values.  There are some interesting but incorrect information creeping back into the descriptions.  I have tried to contact the new person in charge will no success.  Everyone I was working with are no longer with Blue Book.  Steve, John and Cassandra knew me and trusted my work. A couple others know me but are not in the editing part of the business.  

• kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭
    When I saw the muzzle protruding through the box I had an inkling that this was not a factory set-up. Thank you for your valuable information, Mr. Stimson.
  • John J StimsonJohn J Stimson Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    I wonder about the older style box.  My first thought was that they were stocking out the older boxes but immediately remembered that the earlier models were still being produced in small numbers and depending on the model  the models were continued for a year  or up to 6 years  so they still needed the older boxes.  
  • Silver Star 5301Silver Star 5301 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Value with box I would think in the 700’s?   I have few few HS models and watch them at auction.  Haven’t scored one. 
    I have two G380.  One online auction had a mis stroke on the model, and I got a good deal on it.  Figured a lot of fans had different search descriptions and missed it. 
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    Value with box I would think in the 700’s?   I have few few HS models and watch them at auction.  Haven’t scored one. 
    I have two G380.  One online auction had a mis stroke on the model, and I got a good deal on it.  Figured a lot of fans had different search descriptions and missed it. 

Hard to tell value on these.  Sometimes the sum is much less than the individual parts.  The "Ray Gun" muzzle device always seems to top about $300.00 when I poke around for one.  Although the pistol itself is pretty run of the mill.  I bought one with single barrel, in box with original grips and Hoppes #9 can intact for about $450.00 last year.  Heck, I'd pay $700.00 to $800.00 for this one.  I'll bet whoever owned it can shoot dimes at 25 yds all day long.

BTW, I picked up a G380 at a not so local gun show a few months back.  Drove about 300 miles to get there, saw the darn thing in the 1st 5 minutes of walking around & bought it, then drove back home happy as hell. :) 

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    dfletcher said:

Hard to tell value on these.  Sometimes the sum is much less than the individual parts.  The "Ray Gun" muzzle device always seems to top about $300.00 when I poke around for one.  Although the pistol itself is pretty run of the mill.  I bought one with single barrel, in box with original grips and Hoppes #9 can intact for about $450.00 last year.  Heck, I'd pay $700.00 to $800.00 for this one.  I'll bet whoever owned it can shoot dimes at 25 yds all day long.

BTW, I picked up a G380 at a not so local gun show a few months back.  Drove about 300 miles to get there, saw the darn thing in the 1st 5 minutes of walking around & bought it, then drove back home happy as hell. :) 

The Chinese crud, has thrown a monkey wrench into the collectable gun market. Along about everything else, over the last 3+ months. Black guns, handguns and plenty of ammo. Is on top of everyone's agenda. Not High Standard target pistols. It's turned into pretty much a buyers market, for guns like that. It strikes me if you have a lot of available cash. You would be able to get, some pretty good deals. 

There haven't been any gun shows locally, since early March. This has really crimped  the activities of the folks, who like to sell off their stuff. On a face to face, private transaction basis.