In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best AR 5.56 “Budget” Rifle

Trezz81Trezz81 Member Posts: 2

I’m looking for a reliable AR 5.56 for a budget price. At around $600 or less. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    No offense meant. But your about 3 months to late. I was just over checking prices at Bud's, (biggest volume, discount dealer on the net). There totally out of stock on any, 5.56 X 45 AR, under $1200. 

Given the above, and you need a personal protection firearm pronto? Might consider a pump shotgun, until the AR market stabilizes.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    While I agree with rufe-snow's assessment, there are still some AR15s is the supply line at your price:
    I suggest that you start an intensive search on your own using as many variations of the search wording as possible. It way take an hour or so but you will be able to generate a list of potential rifles to pick from.
    Best.

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited June 2020
    rufe-snow said:
    No offense meant. But your about 3 months to late. 
    Ditto that. At the start of the year, name brand ARs from Ruger and S&W were wanting for buyers at $500.

Trezz, go to the GB auction side and do a search (rifles- semiauto) for Anderson Arms. There is a page of Anderson Ar's, many complete rifles priced at or near $600.  Anderson's are reliable, although not fancy. This should work for your purposes. 

https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Rifles/search?Keywords=anderson%20.223&Sort=13&PageSize=96
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭

Trezz, go to the GB auction side and do a search (rifles- semiauto) for Anderson Arms. There is a page of Anderson Ar's, many complete rifles priced at or near $600.  Anderson's are reliable, although not fancy. This should work for your purposes. 

https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Rifles/search?Keywords=anderson%20.223&Sort=13&PageSize=96
    I would advise caution, if purchasing any Anderson Arms AR. Many, but not all, are "kitchen table builds" . Using a stripped Anderson Arms lower. With questionable, after market parts and barrels. Then assembled and sold as a functional AR.  Don't buy one of these, without a lronclad, money back,  guarantee, that it functions and is reliable.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
     It may not be in the class of Colt or even Anderson, but my Delton carbine has served my purposes well. Has accounted for a few whistle pigs and a slew of coyotes on a friends property.
     Handy little truck gun I don't have to worry about dinging up and OTD for a bit over $500 at the local gun show. (10% city sales tax didn't help the price any)
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw Fuquaes (sp) ? I think had S&W M& Ps with sights for $629. Right now, that's a good deal. imo plus I have one with no issues. just a thought.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    go to the GB auction side, buy a lower and build kit.  Get a prebuilt upper from the auction side or Palmetto State Armory, you can get mil spec build kits and lowers from them too.  With a youtube video and 45 minutes of your time you can build one that will work great and serve you well.  It will also cost less than your budget.  No special tools are needed although a razor blade helps hold the spring and pin back while you install the front pivot pin.
  • smartoldguysmartoldguy Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I bought an AR lower receiver a few months ago.  Washington State law was about to change, requiring additional red tape and State intrusion for firearms purchases.  I preferred to avoid that, meantime I'd been wanting to build an AR but was in no hurry.
    Anyhow, I see there are complete build kits available for around $600 from places like palmettostatearmory[dot]com, which particular source I understand has a very good reputation.  If you have or can get a lower receiver at reasonable cost, that might be a good option.  I might go for one of those kits myself pretty soon.
    Took a look just now at PSA.  A kit that sold for $600 a couple weeks ago is now $630.  Prices still surging.  :-/

Edit:  Whoops, I see bpost beat me to it!
  • varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    bought an anderson from Nunn a year or two ago, has been a very good AR.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I like the Ruger AR 5.56 as a base line AR. Couple of my Gunsmith buddies told me that the Rugers have superior Investment cast lowers. I bought one a few years back based on their recommendations. I also like Rugers for their known quality and warranty if ever needed.

I am also a big fan/collector of 12ga. Pumps. Hard to beat as an all around defense weapon, if that is your purpose.

Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.