In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Racist Pancake Mix

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
I have been eating it forever...

Aunt Jemima will change its name and its mascot, with PepsiCo saying its origins are based on a racial stereotype

ktaylor@businessinsider.com (Kate Taylor)
Business InsiderJune 17, 2020
A box of Aunt Jemima pancake mix
A box of Aunt Jemima pancake mix.

Associated Press

• Aunt Jemima is changing its name and losing its mascot of a Black woman that has been criticized for years for its roots in racism and minstrelsy. 

• Parent company PepsiCo said new packaging will hit shelves late this year and that the brand's new name will follow soon after. 

• "We recognize Aunt Jemima's origins are based on a racial stereotype," Kristin Kroepfl, Quaker Foods North America's chief marketing officer, said in a statement. 

• Land O'Lakes removed the drawing of a Native American woman on its packaging earlier this year, while Uncle Ben's says it is planning on "evolving" the rice brand. 

• Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

Aunt Jemima is changing its name and losing its brand image of a Black woman, as parent company PepsiCo acknowledges the pancake brand's racist roots.

PepsiCo announced the change on Wednesday, saying that packaging without the Aunt Jemima mascot will hit shelves in the fourth quarter of this year. The brand's new name will be announced at a later date, quickly following the first phase of new packaging. 

"We recognize Aunt Jemima's origins are based on a racial stereotype," Kristin Kroepfl, Quaker Foods North America's chief marketing officer, said in a statement. "While work has been done over the years to update the brand in a manner intended to be appropriate and respectful, we realize those changes are not enough."

The Aunt Jemima brand has been criticized for years. The inspiration for the name was a minstrel song and the brand continued to be linked to racism in the eyes of many. 

"This Aunt Jemima logo was an outgrowth of Old South plantation nostalgia and romance grounded in an idea about the 'mammy,' a devoted and submissive servant who eagerly nurtured the children of her white master and mistress while neglecting her own," Riché Richardson wrote in The New York Times in 2015.

In 1989, Quaker Oats rolled out a more "contemporary" look for Aunt Jemima — the sixth makeover that attempted to distance the mascot from the brand's racist roots. At the time, Quaker Oats said it would not be renaming the brand, with a spokesperson saying that Aunt Jemima's "familiarity and recognition is an invaluable asset."

Comments

• Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    We have an unopened bottle of Mrs. Butterworths that we’ll be keeping. I’m sure she’s next.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    They have changed it several times in the past and the new one as above is the newest and most "raycialy sensitive" one yet.

Here are some of the older ones ;)

Aunt Jemima  Logopedia  Fandom
    Original Aunt Jemima Pancake Mask Black Americana  540831989

Antique Advertising  Aunt Jemimas Flour Patterns  Antique

RLTW

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    i was thinking about this the other day.  i have a very early version of a Aunt Jemima cookie jar that belonged to my mother, at one time this was a valuable piece of pottery but i guess now i will have to hide it.  wouldnt want to be labeled a R      t.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, it's about time they fixed this!! I don't know how many times I passed them by on the grocery shelf because of their mascot. I vote the new mascot be a unicorn jumping over a rainbow chasing butterflies. Bob

Somebody please set up the green font option. 
  • Options
    I reckon Uncle Ben's Rice is gone also
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******
    Seems they want to erase B.L.A.C.K history to me.   
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭
    I am waiting with breathless anticipation for when they stop calling AR-15s "evil black rifles".

;)
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    Brookwood said:
    Seems they want to erase B.L.A.C.K history to me.   

Apparently it is easy to erase history.  Just get rid of all reminders then deny, deny, deny.

But, they better be careful....we can deny slavery.    Uh-oh!
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,258 ******
    Imagine how racist you have to be to promote a product with an image of a black woman all while touting it as wonderful and great.

And then
    Imagine how racist you have to be to remove the black woman you've celebrated all these years from your product.

One of these seems racist anyway.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Looking forward not having  a black history month
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,425 ✭✭✭✭
    I can put up with a lot, but getting rid of Aunt Jemima is just going too far.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    absolute FNN stupidity.........and no more blackwall tires ...or was it whitewall that was evil ...can't remember ???
  • Options
    Next thing I predict... NO Black or White vehicles...
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward not having  a black history month
    It will be 2 months now and then Spanish history month, then LGBTQ  month, then muslim month, we will need more months.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe put out some Obama Rice or perhaps repackage to someone who we can all look up to like Dennis Rodman Pancake batter?
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭
    What about crackers? After 25 years in a hospital setting I have been called "cracker" hundreds of time. IDEMAND they change all and just call them "SALTINES."  Wait reverse discrimination doesn't work for the fuked up liberals.
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Cracker is a profession, cowboy with a bull whip.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The Political correct crowd is after Disney to  re theme splash mountain
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭✭
    Rename it to "redneck pancakes". I'd buy it then! We have Dutch Boy paint, is that next? German Measles? Mexican Food? Egyptian Cotton?
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    The term cracker came from the slave foremen in the Antebellum South that were called "crackers" owing to their practice of "cracking the whip". 
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,425 ✭✭✭✭
    Now there is talk about banning the song & movie White Christmas  Bing must be rolling over in his grave.  When will this madness end?
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    cbxjeff said:
    Now there is talk about banning the song & movie White Christmas  Bing must be rolling over in his grave.  When will this madness end?
    well your not allowed to say merry christmas now anyway..........
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,673 ✭✭✭✭
    I read that she was actually one of the first black millionaires.....famous for her cooking and made a fortune doing it.   So, now people have decided that this is wrong??? 
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Bisquick makes better pancakes !
      >NOT !
    Aunt Jemima is a brand of pancake mix, syrup, and other breakfast foods owned by the Quaker Oats Company of Chicago, a subsidiary of PepsiCo. The trademark dates back to 1893, although the Aunt Jemima pancake mix debuted in 1889. The Quaker Oats Company first registered the Aunt Jemima trademark in April 1937

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    What happened to "it's what's on the inside that matters"?
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    What about the bacon on the plate...is it racist?
  • Options
    This thread may be moved to Politics at any time ! :D
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
    liturgically insensitive 
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭✭
    I reckon Uncle Ben's Rice is gone also

Heard on the radio today it is being changed as well. Effin everything is racist don't you know. :(
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    OK : 
    WTF ?????
    Thanks !!!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    Snow White will get a beat down from the dwarfs and renamed...anybody got a clue for her new PC name ????
  • Options
    Snow White will get a beat down from the dwarfs and renamed...anybody got a clue for her new PC name ????

New name ? > I proffer Nubile Slut !
  • Options
    My plan is to change parties.  I am now a Hungry Jack supporter!  :)   
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Brookwood said:
    My plan is to change parties.  I am now a Hungry Jack supporter!  :)   

I still maintain, Bisquick makes the best pancakes. If you desire "buttermilk" flapjacks, just add a half teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice to the batter. Your palate  will never notice any adjuncts.

• Options
    Calling Aunt Jemima a mascot is what makes the company that makes the mix racist!   
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭
    It has been going on for decades.
    Anyone remember eating at a Sambo's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0zqKCInOS8
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the blueberry pancakes/mixes so guess it won't affect me..........
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,258 ******
    Taking everyone who's not white off of everything seems like something that will make white supremacists happy.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Reckon I will go back to Capt. Crunch cereal .Of course I hope he isn't racist on that pirate ship.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Reckon I will go back to Capt. Crunch cereal .Of course I hope he isn't racist on that pirate ship.

Capt Crunch - White  pedophile tempting children with sugar! ....... He's most likely gay too. :o