In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Video tutorial by Pen & Teller on the 2nd Amendment.

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I think they missed the definition of 'militia', but other than that can't much argue. 
  • MrMag00MrMag00 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
     The police are under no obligation or duty to protect you. Warren vs DC. 

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/times-watchdog/protesters-and-armed-self-declared-protectors-underscore-divides-in-snohomish/
    We will be seeing more of this as the breakdown of society continues, then a balance will be struck and cops will be out of a job as citizen group police their own. How we the people enforce the constitution will determine what a militia really is and is for. Or there may be a complete abolishment of the constitution if we the people do nothing. 

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

The definition of Militia is immaterial to the literal meaning (and intent for that matter) of the 2nd Amendment.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
    Yeah right, words have no meaning.  :D
    MrMag00 said:
    Yeah right, words have no meaning.  :D
    Grammar gives meaning and takes it away.
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

Brad Steele
    edited June 2020
    You have to have a definition as a starting point before context can be determined. 

That is why certain f words etc are banned, no standard definition for context. It can be used for almost anything. 

The framers carefully chose words based on the definitions at the time. The urban dictionary has done more damage to the Constitution than most obvious tyrants could.  

When I was growing up, my favorite book was the dictionary. I would sit for hours reading in it. And yes, I even looked up the f word, too. If the definition of a word used a word I did not know or one that needed clarification, I kept following the trail. So if the definition given in the dictionary didn't use correct words, what good is a dictionary? 

So contrary to what you or anybody says, the definition of words as written is extremely important. 

Same with numbers. Math don't lie, but you get idiot savants like Hawking who try to use "magic tricks" to make their theories and logic seem valid, when they are not. 

It's like the riddle of 3 guys pay for a room $30 at 10 bucks a piece. Then the owner hands the bellboy 5 as a refund to give back. He pockets 2 and gives each man a dollar. So 10-1-9, 9x3=27 plus the 2 dollars the bellboy kept to make 29. Where did the dollar go?

That is the BS the lawyers and others are using to destroy the constitution, but using wordplay instead.  And that my friend is an absolute fact. And Don, that is the category you fall into as far as I am concerned. whether you do it on purpose or just indoctrinated, is for you to determine, I just call it as I see it. Only YOU know your motives. 

Yes, we need a constitutional amendment protecting the Dictionary. 

Actually not, we need people to have some integrity and quit gaming the system. 
    It is not wordplay, Mr. Magoo. It is the English language and how it works.  The purpose of the second Amendment is stated in the prefatory clause, but that purpose does not limit or expand the operative clause; 'The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms shall not be infringed.'
    'The People' are, well, the people, and the right of those people is not dependent upon what the militia is, how the militia is defined or whether those people are or are not considered members of a militia.  
    So, in the context of the 2nd Amendment, the definition of militia is immaterial.  What is material are the definitions of the 14 words in the operative clause.  It is not like your silly numbers game, and it has nothing to do with lawyers or destroying the Constitution.  It is about what is written, and how the construction of what is written informs its meaning.
    Your fascination with the dictionary perhaps explains why you fail to grasp the significance of sentence structure and meaning.  
    Did you find the phone book enticing as well?

Brad Steele