In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pressure? Or not?

Qso, the bottom pic shows a 5 shot group I shot with my 6.5-05. Bullet was Speer Gold dot 140 gr. Powder was 48.5 grains of Supreme, and primer was cci200. The top pic is of the brass from the 5 shot group. My question is this: does the primers appear to be exhibiting signs of high pressure?

Comments

• Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks good to me...the five shot group...at what distance?
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    hadjii said:
    6.5-05?
    No, those primers are in good shape with a slight radius still showing. Now move your scope setting up and left a little...
    Did you measure the diameter just above the 0.200" mark?
    Best.

• Options
    edited June 2020

Sorry. 6.5-06. Not sure I'm following you on checking diameter. Diameter of what?

Oh. I bet you meant diameter of the case. If that's correct, I did not, but I will when I get home, and compare it to the unfired cases.

• Options
    hadjii said:

Sorry. 6.5-06. Not sure I'm following you on checking diameter. Diameter of what?

Oh. I bet you meant diameter of the case. If that's correct, I did not, but I will when I get home, and compare it to the unfired cases.

Yes, the diameter of the case just above the head which is approximately 0.200" above the base of the rim. Use your calipers to measure above the rim and scribe a light mark. Use your calipers to measure that diameter on unfired and fired cases.

Best.

• Options

Nononsense, I measured both fired and unfired cases, winchester and peterson brand. I'm getting .002 growth between fired and unfired. Winchester or Peterson. Didn't matter. Both were the same. .466 for unfired, and .468 for fired of either brand.

• Options
    Are these once fired cases?
    If yes, fire a couple of each brand two more times and measure each again.
    What we're looking for is the growth of once fired compared to twice or thrice fired cases. Once fired stretches from factory undersized to chamber size and the tiny bit of shrinkage when cooling.
    Best.

• Options

Ok. I'll repost again when I get the once-fired cases reloaded and shot again, and check growth again, and then get your opinion again. Thanks nononsense. Your help is much appreciated.

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    Also check the length of the RELOADED cases after they are fired. Quite common for new once fired cases to stretch, but if they stretch to the full suggested trim limit on the first firing after being reloaded it's a heads up, if they stretch to the full limit on the both the 1st and 2nd NECK SIZED reload firing check the headspace.
    Also go by the bolt lift after firing, if it's snug you are probably at the high pressure area.
    Also if you are trying to neck size only and you find that the cases are tight when chamber testing the brass only BEFORE it's reloaded is also a sign for some concern to keep a heads up.
    I also keep count and I do not reload cases after they have be trimmed 3 times. (3 times having to be trimmed indicates the brass has stretched and IS THINNED OUT and if the base or necks are not splitting they WILL LET GO SOON)
    I have some low velocity, low recoil loads using 5744 powder that I save this HV rejected reload brass for reloading. Just to mention a few calibers for LV loads, 30:06, 7mm mag, 264 win mag, 300 mag at 30/30 reduced velocities is usually very accurate at 100 yards and kids and grandkids can practice and hunt with the hard kicking calibers and shoot a big bullet out to 125 yards or so. (so hang onto that disgarded brass and try some low vel loads)The low vel loads also usually results in very little to no stretch of the reloads, because it's low pressure area.

I also have some 223 LV 22mag loads that are very accurate that I use for squirrel hunting with a 223.
    (their is quite a recipe to getting consistent accuracy with this combo)

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks good here.
    Firing pin holes make pressure determining a little tricky as far as cratering might go. Flattened primers that look like they have been melted and poured into the case is another story. Bright marks on the case head could be a indicator. Stiff bolt, another culprit and with this symptom you might have a bright ring near the web of the case, too much stretch. I would wager you would have more than one issue if you were way too hot.
    Got access to a chronograph?
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    There's definitely some pressure, but nothing excessive