In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

General Gunsmithing Questions

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
I would like to remove the barrel from an Savage Mdl 29B 22 rifle.  Are pins driven from the left side or the right?  Will heat help (torch or heat gun)?  Can the receiver be easily cut, twice, with a hacksaw for disposal?  The rifle isn't worth repairing.  I searched for 45 years for a breech bolt fits without success.

I already hit the pin a number of times from the left and it moved slightly.  I known this will not be easy or quick.  Liquid Wrench has been applied.    Planning on trying a non metallic strap wrench and heat with the receiver in a vice to remove the barrel which likely won't be easy or quick either.   May whack the receiver backwards with a mallet or block of wood and hammer.

Advice welcome.

Jim/victorj19

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be wasting your time, screwing with it. Send it to Numrich/Gun Parts Corp. They will give you something for it. And it will be out of your hair forever. 
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    Thanks rufe.  I hadn't thought of that.

However, the barrel is off.   I was impatient and like to problem solve and be hands on.  Tried the torch with MAP gas.  Pin wouldn't budge.  Took it out to the garage and attacked with a cut off wheel on an angle grinder.   Worked my way from the bottom of the receiver and into the pin.   Pin came out with a few more whack with a punch and hammer.  A few whacks on each side of the receiver loosed the barrel and it hand twisted out unscathed!   About 15 minutes.  Burned a hole in a tee shirt from the sparks.  :s   I forgot to put a shop apron on.  Will need to cut the receiver again but that won't be a problem.

Still would like to know if pins are generally driven out from the left or right side.
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You could have always turned it in to a buyback program and got some money for it to apply toward a new firearm. They would do a better job of de-activating it. LOL
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    "Still would like to know if pins are generally driven out from the left or right side."....................generally 'in' from right to left, 'out' from left to right...........................BUT, there are exceptions!
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    "Still would like to know if pins are generally driven out from the left or right side."....................generally 'in' from right to left, 'out' from left to right...........................BUT, there are exceptions!
    Mike is absolutely correct which is why so many members probably hesitated to post an answer, too many exceptions!
    I was impatient and like to problem solve and be hands on.

This can be the reasoning behind why real gunsmiths often get 'guns in a bag' from clients. Impatience and lack of knowledge will continue to be the ruination of many firearms. :(

Best.

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    I would not fool around trying to cut a receiver with a hacksaw; the one time I did, I ran out of patience long before the job was done.
    Last time I checked, GPC (Numrich) paid about 3 cents on the dollar for usable guns & parts.  When you consider that a complete firearm, a barreled action, or even an obsolete receiver must be shipped Next Day Air by UPS or Fedex, do the math.
    Neal
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    nmyers said:
    I would not fool around trying to cut a receiver with a hacksaw; the one time I did, I ran out of patience long before the job was done.
    Last time I checked, GPC (Numrich) paid about 3 cents on the dollar for usable guns & parts.  When you consider that a complete firearm, a barreled action, or even an obsolete receiver must be shipped Next Day Air by UPS or Fedex, do the math.
    Neal
    Neal,
    This completely untrue.
    The only firearm products requiring Next Day Air are Handguns. We routinely ship actions, barreled actions and complete rifles by Regular UPS/FEDX delivery. This is using them as a regular service not trying to ship from a franchise outlet.
    Best.

• waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭

The rifle you say was junk to begin with? Well then no matter what the out come was, if you enjoyed using your hands on it and gained a little knowledge from playing around with it, it was worth your time. Some of those pins are pressed in and you almost need a press to get them out.

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    waltermoe said:

The rifle you say was junk to begin with? Well then no matter what the out come was, if you enjoyed using your hands on it and gained a little knowledge from playing around with it, it was worth your time. Some of those pins are pressed in and you almost need a press to get them out.

+1,

Recently I was working on a Rock Island TCM. Couldn't get the link pin out. Figured, it had to have been installed with a press. Wound up using a small diameter carbide, Dremel end mill. To VERY CAREFULLY, mill it out internally. Took awhile, but when I drilled through the pin. And got enough metal removed. I was finally able to get the pin out. Without screwing up the barrel.
  • papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
    Thats why I cant get my link out. Turned out, I am glad because it still worked after wanting to shorten, after tightening  slide.
This discussion has been closed.