Another Rabbit Hole to go down ,,,,,

forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 20,319 ✭✭✭
Just traded for a Mauser action with a 6.5mm-06 AI barrel with a Zeiss scope.
Tell me where I’m wrong or a better way,,,,,,,planning on using 25-06 Hornady brass expanded and fire formed for the AI chamber. 
Any suggested load data from reload manuals appreciated.

Comments

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭
    edited June 16
    Necked down? Sounds like a fun project to play with...
  • forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 20,319 ✭✭✭
    toad67 said:
    Necked down? Sounds like a fun project to play with...
    Oooops,,,,,,not necked down, expanded. 
    Plinker, varmint or hunting rifle?
    toad67 said:
    Plinker, varmint or hunting rifle?
    Varmint,,,,,,,it’s got a heavy bull barrel,,,,,,
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Member Posts: 35,543 ✭✭✭
    I just started down that road myself, but have not had much time to do much about loads yet. With better weather coming, I hope to get back at it. I had mine constructed on a Husqvarna 30-06 I bought a few years back for just that purpose. I considered the AI, but did not go with it. I am using 270 brass myself.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭
    check the neck dia. of the chamber; tight neck=.25/06 (thinner neck brass); loose neck=.270 or event .30/06 (thicker neck brass)
    check the neck dia. of the chamber; tight neck=.25/06 (thinner neck brass); loose neck=.270 or event .30/06 (thicker neck brass)
    Yeah, Mike,,,,,,,,came with 25-06 reloads. I’ll pull the bullets and start over. 
  • nononsensenononsense Member, Moderator Posts: 10,575 ******
    Excellent cartridge for hunting or varmint shooting. Chambered in a Mauser, even better. :)

Reloading data is easy to find even though the 6.5-06 or the AI version hasn't been passed through the SAAMI process. Most of the standard reloading manuals don't waste their time because of this. However there is a large amount of data printed through respectable sources.
    Another path to take is to use standard 6.5-284 data and step back a little then work your way back up. Both cartridges in the standard case are very similar. When fireforming, the upper loads will work due to the larger case expansion when going to the AI form.

My only finished 6.5-06 AI is a 26" Bartlein barrel on a brand new Husqvarna Crown Grade action which I found NIB at a very small, out of the way gun show years ago. I still want to change out the stock but it's a very nice hunting rifle.

Best.

Reloading data is easy to find even though the 6.5-06 or the AI version hasn't been passed through the SAAMI process. Most of the standard reloading manuals don't waste their time because of this. However there is a large amount of data printed through respectable sources. 
    Another path to take is to use standard 6.5-284 data and step back a little then work your way back up. Both cartridges in the standard case are very similar. When fireforming, the upper loads will work due to the larger case expansion when going to the AI form. 

Thank you, Sir ,,,,,,,
    The only problem that I see is the lack of available bullets with the 6.5 craze. I just bought a 6.5 PRC, and other than factory ammo, there isn't much available to reload for it. I do have a stash of 11 different 6.5 bullets forge, so if you're in the need for a few to try, send me a message, and I will help you out if I can..
    toad67 said:
    The only problem that I see is the lack of available bullets with the 6.5 craze. I just bought a 6.5 PRC, and other than factory ammo, there isn't much available to reload for it. I do have a stash of 11 different 6.5 bullets forge, so if you're in the need for a few to try, send me a message, and I will help you out if I can..
    Thank you. 
    toad67 said:
    The only problem that I see is the lack of available bullets with the 6.5 craze. I just bought a 6.5 PRC, and other than factory ammo, there isn't much available to reload for it.
    I've been buying bullets, brass, powder and primers for a lot of years. The only lack that I've run into has occurred with powder over the last 10 years or so and that was created by Hodgdon and ADI mostly. Now it's become a standard marketing/business practice for component manufacturers, driving up prices. No longer is it as cost effective to reload because of this. Created shortfalls serve to drive the desire to hoard, buying in larger amounts than you really need, 'just in case'. So now we are used to seeing out-of-stock notices at the bottom of ads and increased prices.

But and this is an important but, I can find any bullet style and weight in 6.5mm nearly every day. Just take a look at Midway, Bruno's, Midsouth or Graf & Sons as major suppliers and if no joy, start a search of the smaller suppliers. If it's just a lack of a highly specialized or newly released bullets, planning ahead will help. But the general supply of hunting and target bullets is relatively intact.

Best.

Nononsense,,,,,,,taking your suggestion, I loaded 47gr of IMR4831 behind a 120gr Hornady VLD to fire form the 6.5-06 AI and got 95% complete shoulder via of bullet touching the lands (10 rounds). 
    I think another ½ gr will be 100% ,,,,,, info from 6.5-.284 load info. At 350yds it’s a winner.
    Thank you for the guidance. 
    Excellent!
    Good for you!
    Glad it's working out for you.

Best.