In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pork Chops $2.49/lb.

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in General Discussion

Have a nice 4 pack (bone in) going. 3/4", cast iron skillet baking @ 325° EVOO, salt/pepper, worchestershire.

Thin sliced Russet potatoes home fry style. Salt/pepper, EVOO.

3 fresh shucked corn on the cob. Cast iron griddle, salt/pepper, EVOO. Butter to come.

Dinner will be good.

Comments

• mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Hell even fake meat seems to cost more than that now a days, I was at the store the other day and bacon was almost 6 bucks a pound for no name brand.
     Screw that and glad I loaded up hoarded some back when we were told we wouldn't be able to get it.
    Stocked all three freezers I have access to with what we eat, Hotdogs, Grnd Bf, Chik Boob, and bacon & sausage. Not a steak or chop guy and wife and I don't eat enough to have very many roasts.
    We both like Eggs so now that we got the country place maybe my next project is building a chicken coop that they can free range and still be safe from predators.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Waiting on the local grocery store to put meat on sale for the 4th. I usually go in and buy T bones or NY strip and have them cut it.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Chops are the Bomb, price/lb.

Good stuff.

Although both my freezers are stuffed full, could not pass on the $2.49/lb. Offer. They all looked awesome also. Very lean. Looking fresh.

Love me some Chops.

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Grilled a batch of $ 1.99/Lb chops this past Saturday.  A little Montreal Steak Rub on half of them and onto the grill.
    Good eating, and cheap as well.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭

More and more I like Pork Butt. Saw some pork sirloin roast about that price last week but having had it (dry and sad) I passed up on it. Pork Butt when I buy is about .99 a pound (or there abouts) and I haven't been disappointed. Those pretty chops are tempting but it's so lean other than the bit of fat rind I'll pass. I know they say one can cook them to mid-rare (slightly pink) but by then it can dry out so quickly I don't even bother.

With COVID and Smithfield shut down(?) and pigs growing beyond the preferred slaughter weight I reckon there should be plenty of cheap sausages or pricey cuts this Fourth of July. I wonder what bacon is priced at these days?

• sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry, that doesn't seem like a great price. It might be a regional thing.

Hope you enjoy them though.

Sounds gooood!

Arrivederci gigi
  • chmechme Member Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭
    Did some slow cooker boneless chops the other night- onions, mushroom soup, little soy sauce.  Wife ate everything but the flowers on the dinner plate.  
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Safeway had a pork sale on Saturday. Too hot to cook inside so I worked with the grill:
    On the stove top I prefer caramelized onions, lots of 'em, with a touch of Balsamic vinegar and rosemary. Serve with baked or just hot polenta or even grits. This always deserves a salad with tomatoes and maybe a little Blue Cheese...
    Best.

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭
    They run anywhere between $99 to 149 a lb here.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Would LOVE to see .99/lb. Pork Chops here. The only thing I've seen in that price range, is Pork Butts in the 10-15 + lb range.

Got nowhere to store that, nor do I need that much cooked Pork.

If I could score .99cent Pork Chops, I'd be all over that.

• mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    BIG difference between pork chops!
    "sirloin" or shoulder cuts are cheap, YGWYPF :)
    Lower loin cuts called bone in ribeye chops or rib end cut are the best IMO followed by center cut and upper loin cut.  Hard to find nice quality lower loin cuts at .99 cents a pound.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!