In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

John Wayne Airport Name Has Got to Go Now Say Democrats

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
 Yep another casuality of The NWO Democrats.Your weapons are next! Your So-called Conservative Supreme Court members will fold on this issue soon enough. To keep the peace.
                             serf

The Democratic Party of Orange County is demanding that John Wayne’s name be removed from the regional airport.

“Orange County is now a diverse region far different from the time when John Wayne was chosen as namesake,” the California Democrats said in a statement. “The removal of racist symbols provides a necessary process for communities to remember historic actors of violence and recognize victims of oppression.”

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited June 2020
    I lived in Orange County most of my life and no one, or almost no one, ever called that airport John Wayne Airport. It's still referred to by OC residents as Orange County Airport, which was its name before it was changed it in 1979, shortly  after  JW died. Naming the airport after JW was controversial at the time because Wayne was a long time resident of Newport Beach, a city which has been fighting to close that airport and relocate it for the last 50 years. In the menatime, Newport Beach has succeeded in reducing the number of commercial carriers down to 10. The airport is a joke, and if the name reverted back to Orange County Regional I don't think that many would care. 
  • serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
           I would intend to agree with you on the local issues but with BLM and The Democrats attacking any and all Statues of prominent leaders of white people who had perceived notions of white history greatness are being attack daily,that it is more than just local issues. They think you must remove all the cancer to cure the nation of white privileged individuals. They are Marxist in my opinion.
                                                                       serf
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited June 2020
    serf said:
           I would intend to agree with you on the local issues but with BLM and The Democrats attacking any and all Statues of prominent leaders of white people who had perceived notions of white history greatness are being attack daily,that it is more than just local issues. They think you must remove all the cancer to cure the nation of white privileged individuals. They are Marxist in my opinion.
                                                                       serf
    Sure, if they wanted to rename it Angela Davis International Airport, but it sounds like the plan is to roll the name back to what it had been before Wayne died.  There were some true aviation pioneers in Newport Beach history, including Glen L. Martin who made the first water to water flight from Newport Beach to Catalina Island. As I said, naming the airport after Wayne was controversial at the time, so much so that the name John Wayne Airport never caught on with the public. 
  • serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    Of course, they will remove his statue to a more appropriate area where it not offend BLM. And that's my point.
                                               serf
  • DaveH196803DaveH196803 Member Posts: 41
    It's California, so I'd expect the people who would object locally are probably outnumbered. The usual suspects on the far left want him cancelled now for the same reason the Soviets at one point wanted to assassinate him. He was a beloved and iconic actor that portrayed larger than life American characters in many of his films. That kind of symbolism won't be left alone, even though Duke has been dead for forty years.
  • MrMag00MrMag00 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I lived in Orange County most of my life and no one, or almost no one, ever called that airport John Wayne Airport. It's still referred to by OC residents as Orange County Airport, which was its name before it was changed it in 1979, shortly  after  JW died. Naming the airport after JW was controversial at the time because Wayne was a long time resident of Newport Beach, a city which has been fighting to close that airport and relocate it for the last 50 years. In the menatime, Newport Beach has succeeded in reducing the number of commercial carriers down to 10. The airport is a joke, and if the name reverted back to Orange County Regional I don't think that many would care. 
    I lived by the back bay, (Birch St) nearly under the flight path (early 2000). Watched a passenger jet eat some birds one morning. 

Pilots said OC  was a particularly difficult take off, due to the steep climb to avoid making noise for the Newport Beach residents.  And yet they had a great safety record (so I'm told). 

I used to paddle the back bay alot in my kayak, and then paddle into the harbor too. I was told John Waynes place and yacht was still there. That was where and when I fell in love with sailing.  I'd paddle up to the yachts and other boats and chat with them

I  flew out of OC, (John Wayne as I knew it) I liked it just fine.  just wasn't worth the trouble to go to LAX  for domestic flights.  

They would bring in war birds fairly often. Some friends of mine were heavy into all things military, I was more into the mechanics of it, not so much the history. 

I have some fond memories of OC. Glad I got out when I did. I used to target shoot at Duarte quite often with friends. Did you ever shoot there? 
  • spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    they are brave enuff to scream for this now that john wayne is dead
    MrMag00 said:
     I used to target shoot at Duarte quite often with friends. Did you ever shoot there? 
    I did, as a matter of fact. Birch St.? I know it well. I have friends who worked for the City of Newport Beach. I used to ride them about the NPB wanting to close John Wayne and open a new airport at the old MCAS El Toro, which would have had commercial aircraft flying over my home in the Saddleback Valley. It's a small world here on Gun Broker.