In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

So how does the economy seem where you live???

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
Here in sunny South Carolina things are booming!!  Construction is going on everywhere.  Apt. buildings, subdivisions, business's, factories, convenience stores, I mean it is almost impossible to drive somewhere and not see new construction going on!!  This shut down B.S. hasn't slowed things at all.

To be honest I'm concerned they are over building and things will all go splat but I thought there would be a lot of construction projects that would be stopped when they were trying to shut down the economy but I was wrong.  I didn't see one project stopped.

So what is it like in your area???    

Comments

• MrMag00MrMag00 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    Prices going up, shops closing. It wasn't bad enough Tucson enacted a $12 minimum wage not that long ago, then add this shut down on top and all the illegals are heading back to Mexico where they can earn a decent living. 
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Construction of homes and land sales wide open. 84 you better watch out,  the city dwellers are headed our way and I don't blame them, just leave the trash behind.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    Butchdog2, where are you from??   With the shut down you would think it would have hurt the economy in a horrible way but I already said what S.C. is like and where ever you are from Butch is further proof the economy, at least in some areas, is great.  Because of the shut down this makes no sense to me.  But I don't understand many, many things!!     :D  
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    Tires, sales are down,commercial is stable but slow, passenger and light truck are very slow with no vacations and folks hunkering down.  School bu sales are flat with many million miles not being driven.  Competition is tough.  China tires are scarce with American makers taking advantage of the tariffs.  Thailand and other Asian makers are being hit with the same tariffs as China so supply is in utter turmoil.  Tariff's can be retroactive for 90 days so suppliers are not shipping from overseas.
    That means we face higher costs for tires and as normal costs for everything will go up.  It will cost more dollars to drive your China made Walmart crap to the stores.   Cost of products and cost of movement are intertwined.  DRIVE UP COSTS AND WE ALL SUFFER.
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    I have more work at my shop than I can handle. The housing market here is booming as well. Friends of mine are trying to buy a house. They are bidding around $30K OVER asking price and still not getting it. Lost nine houses so far.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Mostly average in farm country.  We do the same things regardless of the weather, the virus, or the politics.  The big issue is supply chain slow down.  Parts stores and farm supply businesses are challenged just trying to keep stuff on the shelves.
  • dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭✭
    Mobuck said:
    Mostly average in farm country.  We do the same things regardless of the weather, the virus, or the politics.  The big issue is supply chain slow down.  Parts stores and farm supply businesses are challenged just trying to keep stuff on the shelves.
    +1

Mule
  • flyingcolumnflyingcolumn Member Posts: 374 ✭✭
    Construction still going, but slower than normal. Some projects have been stopped, others delayed. There's uncertainty and low confidence in many business sectors.
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Western NC.
    Building booming for now. Stop and think for a moment, if construction had stopped the economy would have tanked, almost every phase of construction relies on a product made from all over the world, stuff is moving and selling.
    All this could slow down when some of the man made shortages start popping up. Labor is getting very scarce due to the" I can stay at home and make more money than by going to work" attitude going around. Materials to build with are being affected with the same mentality.
    Some business in the area are getting hammered, the food industry is suffering big time as is some of the so called none essential stuff. Gone out of business and for sale signs just about every where. You can see distress in peoples eyes along with distraction in everything they do.
    Another subject. I went to a Mecum auction over the last couple days, autos, guns, advertisement. The prices were outrageously high so there is money to spend out there.

• mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    Doing too good here so.....
    d-rat governor has put restrictions back as per his washingtoon rat masters.
    The rising economy has the rats scrambling to keep it suppressed.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Construction here never even slowed much, Real Estate pricing is still high. The folks who were out of work mostly were lower earners, F&B and retail and with the stimulus I think it boosted the economy not retracted it.
    On another note, most companies have never held such huge piles of debt to finance growth and daily operations, with interest rates forced low it is allowing most of them to continue servicing the interest but not reducing debt.
    Most of the large Fortune 500 companies are actually still adding debt or issuing more equity.
    Eventually this too shall pass LOL
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • randomnutrandomnut Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Knock very hard on wood. Not sure in my area, but in my business, it's good. We are a commercial truck repair/ Michelin dealer/ alignment shop. We had record months Jan and Feb, slacked off a week in March, and back to setting records in April, May, and June.

• gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    Looks like things are closing back down here in So. Kalifornia. I was leaving Golden Corral restaurant & they were putting up a sign they were going back to take out only. Then I got to a local grocery store & they were going back to having a line outside & only allowing someone to enter when someone exited. McDonalds, Wendys, Jack-in-the box only have takeout.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    Here in my house it has been fantastic. Don't know how other people are fairing, don't pay much attention to them.