In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

?s for 1911 mechanics RE: ParaUSA Expert Commander

bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭
I'm mostly looking for advice from those with firsthand experience.

Bummer #1
I recently bought a NOS Para Commander and was disappointed to learn that the wrap-around rubber finger-groove grips I've previously used on 1911 cmdrs won't fit because of the different cutout in the grip frame. 

Bummer #2 
I tried to install a curved checkered rubberized msh, which again has worked on other guns, but again no-go. Not only did it not physically fit, the plunger retaining pins are different sizes, and I didn't have a spare.

Bummer 3
It shoots really low and my first inclination is to change the link, but considering I'm 0/2 so far, I'm wondering if I should give up on ANY aftermarket parts.

Now the questions:
Is everything on these guns just different enough to be annoying?
Have you, or do you know, anyone who has successfully tweaked one of these?
Thanks, Bill

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    My experience is with the original, Canadian made double stack 45 ACP mags. Got a BIL deal, on 4 at a show. For my double stack R.I. 
    To make a long story short. Although all 4 appeared new. One didn't fit. Had to do a bunch of metal removal externally, with emery cloth before I got it working. They must have had some kind of inspection, or quality control problems? As it wouldn't even go into the mag well.
    Might explain your problem(s)? They were the first of the steel frame high cap 1911's, as far as I know? Although appearing similar, to conventional 1911's. Dimensionally there not?
  • bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭
    Are you speaking of the barrel link in #3 ??
    Yessir.
    rufe-snow said:
    My experience is with the original, Canadian made double stack 45 ACP mags. Got a BIL deal, on 4 at a show. For my double stack R.I. 
    To make a long story short. Although all 4 appeared new. One didn't fit. Had to do a bunch of metal removal externally, with emery cloth before I got it working. They must have had some kind of inspection, or quality control problems? As it wouldn't even go into the mag well.
    Might explain your problem(s)? They were the first of the steel frame high cap 1911's, as far as I know? Although appearing similar, to conventional 1911's. Dimensionally there not?
    I've owned, and had great luck with several ParaOrdnance p13s, but this is a ParaUSA Expert Commander.
    Single stack, 4 1/4 bbl, aluminum frame.
    Are you speaking of the barrel link in #3 ??
    Do you happen to know if Para barrel links are also annoyingly just a little different in size?
    Thank you for your input Sir. I understand those concepts.
    The factory sights were a large part of the reason why I bought this gun.
    I think the gun has potential, but it needs a little tuning by an experienced hand,
    and a lot of things about this gun are just a little different than mil-spec/industry standard.
    I would pay good money for a professional tune-up that takes less than 4 months ;-)