In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

pistol grip material stabilization

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2020 in Ask the Experts
what does it mean when grip makers say the material used is stabilized.  do they add something to the grip material like super glue to make the material harder or more durable.  talking about wood or bone type grips. i have some bone grips for a ruger blackhawk that the grip screw nut was loose and was trying to pull out.  i applied a liberal amount of super glue to that area and the problem was solved.  i should add i know a local knife maker who sends his knife scales off somewhere to be "stabilized" especially the ones that are spalted or especially wormey.  he's not sure what these folks do either.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    My experience, is with the old plastic grips, that warped badly. I'm talking about the first generation, circa 40's/60's. The manufacturers, started using different plastic. And the problem went away.

Never had any problems with wood grips. None of my guns from that era, had bone grips.