In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old Colt Revolver , need ID ?

brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭

It measures 44 cal, barrel may have been cut . It is 5 1/4 "long
Any help will be appreciated Thanks

Comments

• chmechme Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭
    No claim of expertise, but to me that looks like an 1860 Army that has been (very nicely) shortened.  The handle of the loading rammer was longer because you needed a longer handle- for leverage.  But still nicely done.  Worth a letter to Colt.  
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    If original, made in 1860 on US Army contract.  Sawn off when "out of service."
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    Oops.  Just noticed the short fluted cylinder.  That is not right.  I am wondering if it might not be a Taylor's reproduction that has been defarbed (foreign proof marks and importer's marks removed) and antiqued to look old.  See repro this style at
    https://taylorsfirearms.com/1860-army-steel-fluted.html
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    Oops.  Just noticed the short fluted cylinder.  That is not right.  I am wondering if it might not be a Taylor's reproduction that has been defarbed (foreign proof marks and importer's marks removed) and antiqued to look old.  See repro this style at
    https://taylorsfirearms.com/1860-army-steel-fluted.html
    Well I am far from any kind of an expert, but right away I did notice how pristine all the screw slots were for a shootin' iron that old. For a pistol that may have had the barrel cut down, the rest of it just seems way to nice.  The fore mentioned screw slots along with the nice crisp serial number stamping. There is the patina, but there seems to be no wear/carry marks on a 150+ YO gun, especially one that seems to have had the barrel shortened. Just some things that jumped out at me, but like I say, I'm far from an expert.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭

The front sight appears to be an add on. Also there is no finish left on this gun, and it's 44 cal
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    That sure looks EXACTLY like the Taylor's 1860 Army that Hawk provided the link to.  It is a reproduction.
    Also, the frame and cylinder are not correct.  The juncture of the barrel to the frame is uneven; sloppy Italian, not Colt quality.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    It kind of has me perplexed. No black powder warning stamped like a replica would have. The half fluted cylinder was an extra cost option which would make it quite rare if it's a real colt. The barrel stamping looks correct. Is there a patent date on the cylinder? In my opinion it is either a well done fake or someone has replaced the small parts, perhaps when the barrel was shortened. Bob
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    Easiest way to tell, If the screws are metric, it's not a Colt.
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    I too am far from an expert on 1860 Colts, but with that low a serial number, I would expect the stamped barrel address to be "HARTFORD CT." not "NEW YORK."  Also, the ones I own have a line stamped just ahead of "ADDRESS."
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    This is still a mystery , , thread pitch is 36/in. The end of the barrel has rust & no rifling. The Address is correct for a gun this age but the cylinder is fluted. 

This discussion has been closed.