In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Opening chokes on model 12

shotgunman12shotgunman12 Member Posts: 5
Have a 20 and 16 ga. md 12 both are full cks.Would like to use them to shoot skeet .Question is would it hurt the value if I have them opened up to light mod. or IC chokes.Both guns are field grade the 16 has a solid rib the 20 plain bbl.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely. Because of the legal requirements, for steel shot. Many full choke shotguns, were honed out to IC.

From my personal experience. This has a negative affect,  on resale value to  collectors. The original Model 12's, were last made in the early 1960's.  Not about to tell you what to do. But if they are factory original, and in VG condition. Wouldn't mess with them.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    Would leave them alone but as people age the "model 12" is slowly becoming a dinosaur in the "collector" category. Most people in the 20-40 age bracket don't even know what a "model 12" is. IMO of course.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Trying to make a skeet gun out of a standard Model 12 is a waste of time, money and a good original Model 12.
    Skeet is a specialized hobby or sport depending on the depth of your involvement. Buy a shotgun set up for skeet or one that can be modified with a skeet barrel or chokes. 

Best.

• pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    I agree, buy a new gun for the purpose you want to use it for.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should