In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 760 stock replacement

Shrike14Shrike14 Member Posts: 2
I have a 1952 Rem 760 in 30-06 that I inherited from my grandfather. He hunted with it for 30+ years and the stock looks it. I've been looking for a replacement stock/fore-end, preferably synthetic, but every one I find says it only fits  the 1968 and newer versions. I've read many threads here that are asking the same question but they're mostly 10+ years old and the info is outdated. So, does anyone know a manufacturer that still makes a stock/fore-end that will fit an OLD version 760?

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you know how much the difference is between the 'newer' version and the 'older' version? Can the newer be modified to fit the older one? If not you can find a real stockmaker to tackle your project but be aware, they are not cheap.
    Best.

• hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭
    Early Remington 760's had a  difference radius  to the  rear of the  receiver  than the later model  760's.  Do a search of the the   early and later versions and you will see the  difference. Check some auctions on Gunbroker.
    There have been  no replacements made for the  early versions.   Unless you have one custom made. 
    Forearms  can be made to fit the older series with the large cap.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    Sand it (carefully) and slap some Marine Varnish on it.  It's a hunting gun, right?
  • Shrike14Shrike14 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your comments. Pretty much what I thought.
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    if you have the original stocks you can get them duplicated to fit but probably will lose any checkering or design
    just because you could doesn't mean you should