In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

357 max

roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
I have a single shot that was reamed out for the 357 max. It is still ok to shoot 357 and 38 still right?  Seems like the 38 will have to “jump” to reach rifling 
Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is an image of the .357 Remington Maximum vs .357 Magnum
    Any questions will depend upon which reamer was chosen to cut the chamber.
    Technically, the Maximum is supposed to manage both the Magnum and the Special but without the information about the reamer, nothing can be resolved.
    Answer: call your gunsmith to get this determination.

Best.

• pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    a smart thing to do if you shoot the shorter shells is to carry a chamber brush with you and make sure you clean out the powder residue after your done shooting so it doesn't effect loading the longer shells, my experience is you might see a slight bit loss of accuracy with the shorter shells but it shouldn't effect the kill zone.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I have used both 38 special and mag in my 357 max Contender. Both shot O.K. The 38s shot quite a bit lower but group size was surprisingly good. They do tend to dirty up the chamber so pip5255s recommendation to clean it well after using the shorter rounds is spot on. The longer cases tend to stick and make removal difficult if the chamber is dirty. Bob
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    nononsense  has given good advise but if the chamber has standard dimensions you can shoot ,38 short colt, .38 long colt, .38 special, .357 mag. and .357 Max ammo
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭

Won’t there also be some flame cutting?

Have a cheap 22 s, l & lr that will only extract shorts now. Gunsmith advised it was likely from shooting many shorts and the lr cases expand into the larger chamber and the extractors can’t pull the case out.

Jim

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Clean it real good, scrub the chamber, you have '"short shot it"
  • TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    victorj19 said:

Won’t there also be some flame cutting?

Have a cheap 22 s, l & lr that will only extract shorts now. Gunsmith advised it was likely from shooting many shorts and the lr cases expand into the larger chamber and the extractors can’t pull the case out.

Jim

Did the "gunsmith" explain you only need to really scrub the chamber with the proper cleaning fluids and a good brass cleaning brush until you can see it shine and it easily chambers and extracts all proper ammo? It might take quite a few times cleaning/scrubbing before you get rid of the build up of crud, but you will get it back to a proper chamber with time and elbow grease.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    General observation with the 357 Max is the heavier the bullet, the tighter the groups. 180s grouped best for me.
    158s in 357 mag averaged about .50 larger.  Ruger SRM and TC 10"

Added note subject Flame-cutting top strap: Owned a Ruger SRM 10". IMHO, the flame cutting was caused by people wanting to create some super hot loads with 125gr and other light bullets.
    Sticking with 180 grain or above bullets, at loading manual published FPS, I NEVER observed any flame cutting.
    TC and singleshots have closed chambers thus nor flame cuttings. Heavy cast bullets of over 200 gr were outstanding.

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    One other thing to consider is the powder you choose to reload this cartridge and any cartridge really used in the MAX chamber. Far too many choose just any powder when you can control the fouling produced by the shorter cartridges when matched to the bullet weight and barrel length.

As above, heavier bullets often perform better but also aid in burning powder more efficiently. Manufacturers choose powder by cost and availability not by performance and efficiency. Do some searching and read about the best powders for short barrels, cartridges and heavy bullets. You will see an improvement in the diminished amount of fouling when you clean.

Best.