In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1911 Barrel Replacemrnt

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭

So I had a squib load yesterday and made the mistake of trying to remove the cast bullet by tapping it with a brass rod from muzzle towards the rear. Big mistake! It didn’t budge.

Disassembled it at home drove it out from the rear with brass rod. It took a lot effort. Now there’s a barrel bulge.

is still shootable? Who makes a decent stainless 45 barrel? Do suppose the bullet diameter is to large? I’ll have to measure a few and the removed slug.

jim

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a similar experience with a .45 Colt Government.  I was shooting factory cast lead bullets that were supposed to be swaged & lubed, so my guess was that one round had missed the swaging operation.  I fired quite a few rounds with  the bulge without incident, but was unable to find a source that said firing with a bulged barrel was dangerous or not.  Rather than worry about it, I went ahead & replaced the barrel with one made by Colt; it just dropped in.
    I like to stick with OEM parts.  If you can't do that, I'd check Brownell's website.  If you can't find an OEM replacement, you may want to take the pistol to a gunsmith for the job, as fitting may be required.  For most Colts my preference is nickel plated barrels.
    Neal
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    The best recent deal, I got on 1911 barrels. Is from Numrich Arms/Gun Parts Corp. I bought a factory Colt  in 10 mm, complete with link and pin for $ 90. At the time, ( 4 months ago ), they had the best deal on 1911 barrels on the net. 
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    The barrel should be considered ruined.  What make of gun?  
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    The barrel should be considered ruined.  What make of gun?  
    Long as he doesn't plan on shooting it, in any 50 yard Bullseye matches. Don't agree. I've shot 2 many handguns with bad barrels, ( could hardly see the rifling ), over the years. Long as the barrel isn't so swelled up, you can't remove it from the slide. It will be OK, for 45 ACP, IMHO.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    "Do suppose the bullet diameter is to large?".........................no, an 'oversize' bullet will swage down with any reasonable powder charge................or it will not chamber at all. a few .001's will not make a difference.
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭

Thanks all.

In future squib loads will wait until the barrel is removed.

It a Remington stainless 1911. I’ll see what they charge for a barrel

Since the barrel came out easily, should be able to go in and I don’t shoot bullseye, I’ll try shooting it before buying a replacement

Agiain thanks for the input.

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I know you're not taking a poll about how to handle your barrel situation but I will say that you definitely should NOT shoot this barrel at all. 'forgemonkey' shows you why.
    Shotgun barrels and rifle barrels, I've simply cut them off if there is enough barrel left to be legal and functional, this is NOT so with .45 ACP barrels in 1911s. Keep the barrel and hang it up over your bench as a reminder. Spend the money on a good quality barrel then have it installed by a quality 1911 gunsmith. Trying to be frugal in this kind of situation is foolhardy in the least and dangerous at the most.

Best.

Curious does the barrel bushing get stuck on the bulge? I wonder if a machinist could shave a bit of the bulge?

Remington might do a warranty? Or I suppose you could wait for their fire sale and pick one up then. All the Stainless barrel makers I was gonna suggest is too good for the Remy.

yoshmyster,
    As a matter of safety, we do NOT shave a bit off the bulge. The bulge is an actual swelling of the barrel material making it a weakened section of the whole. Taking material off the outside will increase the potential for barrel failure.

While you may look down your nose at Remington 1911 pistols, it's just personal prejudice not factual data regarding Remington quality.

Best.

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭

Curious does the barrel bushing get stuck on the bulge? I wonder if a machinist could shave a bit of the bulge?

Remington might do a warranty? Or I suppose you could wait for their fire sale and pick one up then. All the Stainless barrel makers I was gonna suggest is too good for the Remy.

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Most folks around favor the Kart barrels cause they are great and they are made 30 miles from here. I think one of their ez fit barrels will run around $250.00.
This discussion has been closed.