Land Area - Population - Coronavirus Cases - Interesting Overview

GreatGunsGreatGuns Member Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭
I first started following the effects of the virus when it originally reared it's ugly head in Italy after leaving Wuhan China. My concerns were simple, we have friends, neighbors and my coworkers there. It's a highly populated country for it's size. My wife and I purchased a 2nd home two years ago, a small villa on the Tyrrhenian Sea in Campania Italy, with hopes of enjoying it each year until ultimately retiring full time there. Enter the virus, exit international travel. At present, there's no telling when we can go over.

I was comparing some interesting data regarding land area, population, virus case count and virus related deaths. I've mentioned before that Italy's land area is similar in size, right between Arizona and New Mexico. With populations of each vastly different, it's interesting to note the differences.

Arizona
Land Area 113,990 square miles
Population 7.279 million (2019)
Confirmed cases 160,049
Confirmed deaths 3,298
Recovered 20,171

Italy
Land Area 116,350 square miles
Population 60.36 million (2019)
Confirmed cases 245,864
Confirmed deaths 35,102
Recovered *unknown

New Mexico
Land Area 121,697 square miles
Population 2.097 million (2019)
Confirmed cases 18,475
Confirmed deaths 601
Recovered 7,056

Italy is roughly 8.25 times larger in population than Arizona.
Italy presently has only roughly 80 thousand more cases than Arizona.
Italy has roughly 10..5 times higher death rate than Arizona..

Italy is roughly 28 times larger in population than New Mexico.
Italy has roughly 13 times higher confirmed case count of New Mexico.
Italy has roughly 58 times higher death rate than New Mexico..

No real dramatic point, just interesting numbers. I felt they were eye opening on several levels. YMMV

Jim

"Confuse what you can of the ending and revise your despise so impending...'Cause I soak on the wrath that you didn't quite mask...
I'm getting it clearly through alternate paths or mixed in with the signal you're sending."  Trey Anastasio

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭
    They are interesting but do create more questions. Why the far greater death rate? Perhaps testing protocols are not as rigorous in Italy. More undetected asymptomatic cases if detected would lower the death percentage. I know that initially their hospitals were overwhelmed and our efforts to prevent that here may have prevented the same rate. Italy is over 14% while we are at 3.5%. Any way you look it, it has been devastating to most of the world. Several other European countries have a much higher death rate than the U.S.. It makes one wonder about the quality of care with socialized medicine. Bob
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 7,896 ✭✭✭
    Example:
    Arizona
    Confirmed cases 160,049
    Confirmed deaths 3,298
    Recovered 20,171
    Deaths and Recovered add up to 23,469,  what happened to the other 136,580?

• GreatGunsGreatGuns Member Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭
    TRAP55 said:
    Example:
    Arizona
    Confirmed cases 160,049
    Confirmed deaths 3,298
    Recovered 20,171
    Deaths and Recovered add up to 23,469,  what happened to the other 136,580?

I wish it worked that way, but you're looking at it incorrectly. There are currently 160,049 confirmed/active cases, some are in the hospital, some are recovering at home. As of this date, 20,171 additional patients have recovered and 3,298 have died. The active/recovered/deceased numbers total 183,518. Then consider that number versus the population and it's pretty clear that testing is not where it should be, in any state right now. We need a federal plan for the entire country to follow, not letting each state guess how to do it.
    "Confuse what you can of the ending and revise your despise so impending...'Cause I soak on the wrath that you didn't quite mask...
    I'm getting it clearly through alternate paths or mixed in with the signal you're sending."  Trey Anastasio
  • MrMag00MrMag00 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    If you believe the reporting to be accurate. I would like the real numbers to evaluate. But considering that in the USA, Hospital Mistakes is the #3 cause of death, I don't believe anything these alleged "experts" say. 

My sister was talking to the local restaurant owner. He took his family (4 total) to get tested. The testers told them about 45 minutes before they would get to them to test them so they left. A week later they got a mailer saying they all tested positive.  

So yeah, the only number that counts is deaths, and of those, we are not getting an accurate count either. Motorcyclist gets killed in a wreck, he tested positive for covid, so he was a covid death. 
    BobJudy said:
    They are interesting but do create more questions. Why the far greater death rate? Perhaps testing protocols are not as rigorous in Italy. More undetected asymptomatic cases if detected would lower the death percentage. I know that initially their hospitals were overwhelmed and our efforts to prevent that here may have prevented the same rate. Italy is over 14% while we are at 3.5%. Any way you look it, it has been devastating to most of the world. Several other European countries have a much higher death rate than the U.S.. It makes one wonder about the quality of care with socialized medicine. Bob
    It's all about population/available hospital beds in Italy (or any high density country/province/state/city). No country prepares, nor was prepared for something like this, even here in the US. However, several countries took immediate measures and have mitigated the spread, unlike here in the states where it's far from mitigated. We should have shut international travel down entirely in January when the first death from the virus was reported in the US. Next, we should have established a national protocol, isolating anyone testing positive in a care facility for two weeks and at least attempt to control the outbreak. Instead, the threat was ignored and treated as a hoax, then presented to the US public as nothing to worry about.  Bottom line, the gates were left wide open from the highest traveled locations in the UK to the highest traveled locations in the US. Heck, in the first half of March I was still able to go to the UK and return before any restrictions, let alone testing or proof of testing to enter. Upon my return to Montana I self-quarantined for the recommended 2-weeks, then got tested, twice thus far.  At least our POTUS has turned the corner, is actually recommending mask use and has recognized this isn't a hoax.

Jim
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 866 ✭✭✭
    THERE IT IS.  I knew you would get to blaming President Trump eventually. Just a one trick pony you are. 
    THERE IT IS.  I knew you would get to blaming President Trump eventually. Just a one trick pony you are. 
    Along with the majority of the country? You can pretend some more Ricci, you know, it could be your imaginary virus. You seem to label anything you don't believe as imaginary. Must have had a crappy childhood. I call it as I see it. I'm convinced you're just a lap dog. Thanks for your continued efforts to destroy any thread I post. Class act Ricci.   ;)
  • 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭
    edited July 26
    Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda and hindsight is wonderful. I believe DT stuck it to the WHO? Still waiting 3.5 years for a good comment on the pres. from the Dummycrats. Expect him to step up to podium soon and kill a ant accidentally. I can see Don Lemon and Chris Cuomo holding up that poor dead ant for evidence. Both have a constant snicker and Lemon has a permanent scowl. Hey, the pres is still standing.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭
    GreatGuns said:
    BobJudy said:
    It's all about population/available hospital beds in Italy (or any high density country/province/state/city). No country prepares, nor was prepared for something like this, even here in the US. However, several countries took immediate measures and have mitigated the spread, unlike here in the states where it's far from mitigated. We should have shut international travel down entirely in January when the first death from the virus was reported in the US. Next, we should have established a national protocol, isolating anyone testing positive in a care facility for two weeks and at least attempt to control the outbreak. Instead, the threat was ignored and treated as a hoax, then presented to the US public as nothing to worry about.  Bottom line, the gates were left wide open from the highest traveled locations in the UK to the highest traveled locations in the US. Heck, in the first half of March I was still able to go to the UK and return before any restrictions, let alone testing or proof of testing to enter. Upon my return to Montana I self-quarantined for the recommended 2-weeks, then got tested, twice thus far.  At least our POTUS has turned the corner, is actually recommending mask use and has recognized this isn't a hoax.

Jim
     Trump could have done better but he was acting on the advice of his medical experts at the time while also fighting congress. His experts in turn were relying on information that came from the W.H.O. and China. We know how accurate that information turned out to be. Dr. Fauci has changed his tune several times as new information has come to light. Remember China protesting when the Wuhan travel ban was enacted? Just like all of the other countries we were woefully unprepared with supplies and a test had not been developed yet. Turns out China who said the virus was no big deal had been quietly buying all the ppe they could get their hands on, leaving little for the rest of the world. I don't think much of a nationwide policy could have been enacted at the time because we didn't even have masks let alone ventilators or tests that worked. I am afraid that since this is America and we are proud of our freedoms that a national plan won't have much effect. Unfortunately our freedoms include the right to be stupid and selfish. Even here some on this board, that I normally respect for their opinions, won't do something simple and easy like wearing a mask. I recall your UK trip and you barely made it back in time. I don't think there was much in the way of quick effective tests until after your return. If more people were responsible like you concerning your self quarantine then perhaps less cases would have developed. Bob
  • spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭
    all i know is that with my age and infirmity if i catch it i am most likely DEAD.......doing the things we are supposed to but feels like i am just waiting for a certainty...not a cheerful hideout.....and our weather here has been the usual summer hot but with very high levels of humidity ...all leaves me feeling pooped and useless
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 866 ✭✭✭
    You are wasting your time quoting facts to this meathead. He hates President Trump and is completely myopic on the subject. Try and correct him and he immediately starts with the personal attacks. He is just a lost soul I think. I think the best course for me in the future is just to ignore him.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭
    edited July 26

Say whatever you want about Trump. My 401 statement arrived the other day. 32+ percent gain for the quarter

People miss points, sometimes by not reading them. Sometimes they just don't wish to hear the information. Similar to those that don't listen, but merely wait to talk. Then we have distractors, "look over here" and nothing about what is being presented, name callers like Ricci with his "Skippy" and "meathead" remarks claiming name calling will follow (that's rich). I understand the lapdog mindset where anything contrary to one's beliefs must be wrong, so I will attack them. As to ignoring me Ricci, I won't be holding my breath. It's difficult for me to understand how anyone's comments or opinions here would make another so reactionary, let alone allowing free rent of brain space.

For Scout5, thank you for your reasonable retort. I stated above that we should have shut international travel down entirely in January when the first death from the virus was reported in the US. We didn't. Next, we should have established a national protocol, isolating anyone testing positive in a care facility for two weeks and at least attempt to control the outbreak. We didn't. Of course that would have to be by the state's coordination, but under one plan. Instead, the threat was ignored and treated as a hoax, then presented to the US public as nothing to worry about, then turned political as an excuse to not reacting to the real threat. Our POTUS claimed to know more than those in the health science community, discredited professionals, changed the information channels to the public (stopped the daily reporting from the WH "Coronavirus task force"), instructed data to be sent through the WH instead of through the health science community and then when it became obvious to everyone, did a 180 last week about mask use and stated we're not in as good of shape as previously conveyed (in far less responsible words though). Testing should be done to those showing symptoms, or in health care related roles like home caregivers and day nurses. Until a vaccine is ready for the public, if it does, everyone should follow the same protocol to prevent the spread by using common sense. That is another problem in itself.

Jim

• Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭
    Well said Scout5!

That is the way it SHOULD be in the united STATES of america.
    RLTW

• gartmangartman Member Posts: 534 ✭✭✭
    A  number of countries have done much better than the USA getting the virus under control and their country back to near normal with the same info we had. Here in CA, they were so short of test kits would only test people who showed every symptom of Covid 19. A lot of very sick people were sent out on the street while the Fed. Gov. bragged about all the kits being shipped.
    austin20 said:

Say whatever you want about Trump. My 401 statement arrived the other day. 32+ percent gain for the quarter

Our financial adviser has been a personal friend since we met in college and handles our investments. My wife's and my 401 accounts both had gains of 9 to 11% and Trump played little to no part of that. I suggested you claimed a 32% gain in the first "broken" quarter of 2020 and he laughed. I did too.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭

You and your “financial advisor” laughed about my 32% increase in my 401K for the quarter ending June 30 2020?

• Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭

Yep I’m up a net 30.59% including the YUUUUUGE loss I took from the plandemic. If I’d had the brains God gave a mule I would have pulled out immediately and that 30.59 YTD would have been more like 60%. A dunce could have made 30% in the 2nd quarter though, so I can’t brag. “Nasdaq’s juggernaut rolls on, with the tech-laden index up a staggering 31.6% since the end of the first quarter”.

Here are some economic facts. I wonder why NONE of these have been reported by the media? How many have heard any one of these facts, anywhere? It’s almost like there’s an effort to suppress Trump’s economic good news:

sales at U.S. retailers rose 17.7% last month, the biggest monthly jump ever

America regained 2.5 million jobs last month in contrast to economists’ expectations of job losses of 7.25 million

New home sales increased 16.6% in May to a seasonally adjusted 676,000, compared with estimates of 632,000.

HIS Markit’s preliminary composite index that measures both manufacturing and service activities, went up to 46.8 in June from 37 in May, indicating steady economic recovery

the unemployment rate came in at 13.3%, whereas economists anticipated the jobless rate at 19% 

Instead we have 93% negative reporting about our President. That’s not coincidental. That’s active intentional collusion to steal an election. Again with the Alinsky tactics from the left:

RULE 10: “If you push a negative hard enough, it will push through and become a positive.”

• BarzilliaBarzillia Member Posts: 21,804 ✭✭✭
    I think that there's a lot of people who need to go back and review the actual history of this matter.
    You can blame whomever you want, whether the Chinese or the US administration, but the facts are pretty clear.

For whatever reasons, this country lost the ability to mitigate the community spread of the virus on local levels early on, and then failed to learn from that, apparently in a pretty serious state of intellectual and emotional denial of the obvious facts occurring in front of them on a daily basis.

That continues today, although I think the numbers of the conspiracists and politically paralyzed are decreasing.

In some places.
    "Anger has two children -.hope, and courage." Augustine, Bishop of Hippo

"Und es wird nicht hineingehen irgend ein Gemeines und das da Greuel tut und Luge,
    sondern die geschrieben sind in dem Lebensbuch des Lammes."

@Barzillia I wonder how much of the paralysis stems from people in leadership fearing social media mobs? People are afraid to make a move or take a stand out of fear of the backlash.

Thoughts?

This discussion has been closed.