In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Smith & Wesson Model 35-1

HwallbangerHwallbanger Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
I just purchased a S&W Mo.35-1 from an 85 year old man that said he bought new ,It has a 4 inch barrel and our local so called expert said there is no such thing ,but I have the gun. If need I can take pics tomorrow .

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    This has me a little puzzled. The 35-1 was made from 1960 to 1973 and was originally based on the 22/32 target. All of my references only list it with a 6" barrel . Being primarily a target gun that makes sense. The Mod 34 kit gun came with either a 2" or 4" barrel. The barrels and sights were the primary difference between the two models. Pictures might help. Bob
  • HwallbangerHwallbanger Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Trying to post Pics but I'l green on it .
    Serial # 119264 on bottom of but and another# on side above but #49314
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Is it stamped 35-1 on the frame behind the crane? This pictures show what appears to be a mod. 34 barrel with the ramped front sight. The 35-1 had an undercut flat top ( patridge) target front sight. Bob
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    I'm not at home now, so can't check the # S N in the SCSW. But I agree with the previous posters. It's either a S & W factory mistake, i.e. M-34 barrel on a M -35 frame. Or it has been rebarreled after leaving S & W. 

From your photos, the whole revolver has seen considerable use and is well worn. The wear on the barrel does match the wear on the frame though. So they have been together, through thick and thin. Might very well have been  a S & W factory screw up? Unfortunately considering it's condition. I can't see it having, any great collector value. Even though Model 34's, have been out of production for many years.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Can't give you a specific date, but SCSW. Gives a range of between 1965 & 1969, for 119264. This is for both the Model(s), 34 & 35. This is for revolvers, without the letter "M" prefix, to the serial number.  If there is a letter "M" prefix? It would date to the late 70's.
    rufe-snow said:
    Can't give you a specific date, but SCSW. Gives a range of between 1965 & 1969, for 119264. This is for both the Model(s), 34 & 35. This is for revolvers, without the letter "M" prefix, to the serial number.  If there is a letter "M" prefix? It would date to the late 70's.

rufe-snow said:
    I'm not at home now, so can't check the # S N in the SCSW. But I agree with the previous posters. It's either a S & W factory mistake, i.e. M-34 barrel on a M -35 frame. Or it has been rebarreled after leaving S & W. 

From your photos, the whole revolver has seen considerable use and is well worn. The wear on the barrel does match the wear on the frame though. So they have been together, through thick and thin. Might very well have been  a S & W factory screw up? Unfortunately considering it's condition. I can't see it having, any great collector value. Even though Model 34's, have been out of production for many years.

rufe-snow said:

It is stamped 35-1 .

Thanks ,It was more or less something to remember the old guy . I'll hang on to it and use it,He was an old trapper and said he carried it to finish off game he had caught .
This discussion has been closed.