In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Going rate for a crown

love2shootlove2shoot Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
I had one done, it was $1270, one hundred dollar discount for cash.  I have no dental insurance.
Wife went today and needs three crowns, two replacing existing crowns.  They said there was decay under two of her crowns.  Her estimate....$4200!  She had no clue there was a problem.  No pain, nothing.
Are these prices in line or should we shop around?

Comments

• Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    That's 1/4 of what they charge here.  Where exactly do you live?  I can fly there, get them done, have a vacation and save money.
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds about right. Might shop around a bit and save a couple hundred but you will spend the savings on office visits.
    I you really want to save some serious coin I would bet you can find a "how to" on Youtube. :o
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    Had one put on about a year ago....1100....I paid 125.....My insurance covered the rest....
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    us55840 said:
    For that kind of money, you can pay for a luxury trip to Arizona, rent a car and go into Mexico and get your teeth done by professional dentists and have big bucks left over.
    Many people that winter in Arizona have their dental work done in Mexico and it's far, far less expensive.
    My brother had his done there, excellent work and far less money.
    Let me know if interested and will forward info on where he went.
    That was true several years ago. Now days people are afraid to go into Mexico. We used to go over into Tijuana and shop and eat at some real Mexican restaurants years ago but I wouldn't go there today for anything.   
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭
    I had some decay under a crown and the dentist was able to drill the decay out thru the crown and fill. The crown did not have to be removed. That has been 10 years ago and it is still good.
    $1100 for a crown is a good deal. 
  • redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭
    my Wife has had several done over the last year & ahalf , 1200 or so is about what they've cost use
    cancer treatment is hard on  teeth ,
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    Los Algodones, Mexico, aka Molar City. Stay in Yuma,AZ, don't need a passport because it's only a couple of blocks across the border. Most times you can get a 3 nights free in the Holiday Inn, and a transport bus back and forth. My Dad had some bridgework done, a couple months later having his teeth cleaned,, the dentist commented on the excellent quality work he had done.

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭
    harbor freight  pair of large pliiers 10.00  one bottle cheap whiskey 10.00  = 20.00 and about 20min work
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    About right. My dentists treats me right and if I have a problem he says call him. Wife broke tooth on CHRISTMAS Eve and he was in town, came out and fixed it. Dentists to me are the kiss of life cause if your teeth are bad, so is your health in a big way. imo
  • love2shootlove2shoot Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    mac10 said:
    harbor freight  pair of large pliiers 10.00  one bottle cheap whiskey 10.00  = 20.00 and about 20min work

I suggested this to my wife, can I stay at your house now?
  • SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭
    $1,500 in my area.  Going for an implant in August, $4,000 for one tooth.  Still trying to decide if it is worth it at my age.
  • MrMag00MrMag00 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    SW0320 said:
    $1,500 in my area.  Going for an implant in August, $4,000 for one tooth.  Still trying to decide if it is worth it at my age.
    I just got my gold implant a couple weeks ago. It is a long process, but totally worth it. I will never do a root canal again. That was the tooth that bothered me for years and cost plenty to get the root canal done. 

8 years and 5 dentists till the local dentist found the cracked root. Probably cracked when they did the root canal. The dentist had to grind the metal from the root canal out, and do a bone graft for my new implant. The root canal and crown ($1800) could have gone to the implant.  Not to mention all the other visits due to that tooth bothering me for years. 

And now my teeth are worth more than I am  :D
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    My dentist made my last crown in his office, took 10 min.  He had a machine that the sales rep had loaned him that carved the crown out of a block of zirconia.  A lot cheaper for him, as he cuts out the lab cost.  But, the machine cost > $10,000, so he sent it back.  A single practice dentist can't afford it, but a large group can justify the expense.
    Neal
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I don't think I paid that much more then that to have full dentures installed but I did have dental insurance. Get them all pulled now and never have to deal with them again. :D:D
  • WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

I’ve got great dental insurance and have to have a crown done when the COVID bs ends. My dentist says mine would be about $1000 out of pocket after ins.

I live in rural WV so your quote sounds pretty good for no ins.

”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -