In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

This could be The Spark!

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

If the pandemic makes it's a mail in voter election then this could be the spark for civil war.

Trump Can't Delay Vote; Pompeo Says Up To DOJ

This plays into an April warning by former VP Joe Biden, who said "Mark my words I think he is gonna try to kick back the election somehow, come up with some rationale why it can’t be held."

"We have to figure out how we are going to conduct a full and fair and safe election in November and no one should have to risk their lives to cast a ballot," Biden added.

The Trump campaign's 'War Room' account replied to the president's tweet with a report that "68% of Voters Are Concerned About The Security of Mail-In Ballots."

Comments

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    There are 5 states the use mail in ballots exclusively already.  Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington and Utah.  Not sure how many studies have been done, but there is not any hint of widespread corruption.

My issue with mail in ballots is that it makes the process too easy.  If there is a level of effort required, people will tend to put more thought into what they are doing.  Mail in ballots increase the number of voters, but frankly, how informed are those new voters who couldn't be bothered to take a hour out of their day previously?

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Older folks getting ballots and having younger folks fill them out for them. Too many possible things to go wrong.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    if they are really worried about crowding at the poll stations make it a 2-3 day in person vote, they everyone won't have to crowd in the first day..........
  • sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

"Not sure how many studies have been done, but there is not any hint of widespread corruption."

Tell THAT to Republican Dino Rossi!

In the 2004 governor's race against Christine Gregoire (D), they were well into the 2nd recount when election workers in seattle found BOXES of surprise ballots in the trunks of their cars!

The result was Gregoire by 130 votes, out of nearly 3 million cast.

Just exactly how "widespread" does the corruption have to be to lead to oppressive, overbearing democrat control??

Arrivederci gigi
  • sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

Arrivederci gigi
    edited July 2020
    sxsnuf said:

"Not sure how many studies have been done, but there is not any hint of widespread corruption."

Tell THAT to Republican Dino Rossi!

In the 2004 governor's race against Christine Gregoire (D), they were well into the 2nd recount when election workers in seattle found BOXES of surprise ballots in the trunks of their cars!

The result was Gregoire by 130 votes, out of nearly 3 million cast.

Just exactly how "widespread" does the corruption have to be to lead to oppressive, overbearing democrat control??

IIRC, these were ballots collected at polling places, and not mail in ballots.  Universal mail in balloting was passed in 2005 in Washington State, in part because of the Rossi/Gregoire shenanigans.

Just as in the Frankin election in MN, 'uncounted' ballots were found after the initial count.  Neither the Gregoire or Frankin extra ballots were mail in.

This is not to say that corruption cannot or will not occur with mail in balloting.  At present, however, there is not a documented case where manipulation of vote by mail ballots has changed an election.  Given the political leanings of most government employees, with the possible exception of military personnel, manipulation is possible, and probably likely in some areas.

Brad Steele
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    If they couldn't send out $1200.00 checks without sending them to dead folks and the $600.00 extra unemployment checks were sent to people who had no business getting them, I heard one house got ten checks, how in hell does anyone have a teaspoon of confidence that they can handle mail in votes. The dems plan on stealing this election cause they know Biden doesn't have a chance.
  • mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    us55840 said:
    Mail in ballots are fine ........ but only if the registered voter REQUESTS one and it's mailed to that person.
    When ballots are sent out to 'occupant' in a bulk mailing ..... there is a 100% opportunity for fraud!
    With the political division already existing in the country, you can bet your last cent, there will be voter fraud in ballot counting.
     :'( 
    In the states that currently use them, they are mailed to registered voters only and are addressed to that individual.  This is not to say that the ballots could be: 
    1. Intercepted by someone going through mailboxes or trash and filled out and submitted.
    2. Delivered to a home now occupied by someone else and filled out and submitted.
    3. Delivered to the home of someone who has died and filled out and submitted.
    4. Purposely delivered in bulk to an incorrect address by corrupt postal workers and filled out an submitted.
    5. etc., etc.

Voters' signatures should be on file and in a perfect world would be verified.  I doubt the counting centers have sufficient handwriting analysts on staff to properly verify each and every signature.  

There is a real problem this year with a huge number of people truly believing that the ends will justify any means in keeping the opposition candidate out of office.  Anecdotally this seems strongest on the left at present.  The self-righteous hatred of our current President will allow, even demand, many on the left to rationalize any means to keep him from a second term.  On the right, I would guess that these situational ethics will depend in large part upon the selection of the VP candidate.  It is hard to convince oneself that breaking the law is necessary to stop the election of an empty suit, and head.

Universal mail in ballots will be easier to manipulate.  This sky is falling idiocy by our current President, however is both premature and immature, IMO.

Brad Steele
  • MrMag00MrMag00 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    It should take effort to vote for those who will eventually rule over you. If you can't take the time or are too scared to vote, your vote is irrelevant to me, and you should have no say in the matter. 

Simply put, if it was to pick up 1 million dollars, I would be willing to bet every stinkin one would go get it. They would have their ID's out and ready. So now we have determined it is not because they cannot get to the polls or are afraid to go, etc. It is because they do not think it is worth their time to just vote for the good of the nation. Thus, their votes don't need to be counted in my eyes, they forfeit that right by not going to the poll. 

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

"It's not who Votes, it is who counts the Votes."

Joseph Stalin I believe.