In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

you folks who carry extra mags for CCW's............

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
does anyone else just carry few bullets in their pocket, sorta like barney did??  I carry a small deringer on most occasions and carry two extra 38's in my change pocket, doubt I could ever get it reloaded in time but they are there if needed. and do get some weird looks from the younger cashiers when I go to get change and they see the bullets in with the pocket change, guess it gives em something to think/worry about for rest of day............

Comments

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a keychain which has an inert .500 S&W 500 Mag cartridge as a fob.
    Don't think twice about it myself, but it has raised an eyebrow on occasion when someone sees it.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    I wear Carhartt, 7 pocket pants and shorts, year round. The ruler pocket, is a ideal size. For a 15 shot, Glock G 23 Mag. 

I don't want to tell you what to do. But IMHO, best to reconsider. Flashing your reloads, at the sheeple. One might freak out, and call the badge boys. 

I use to carry my AZ CCW card, attached to my DL, with a paper clip. One time I was in a Phoenix B of A, and the teller ask for I.D. I just gave him my DL, she turned it over and looked at the CCW card. She  gave me one of those classic, deer in the headlights looks.  I was afraid, she was either going to pass out, or press the emergency alarm button. Unfortunately some of the sheeple, poop their panties. When it dawns on them that your packing.
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Folks not raised in the culture are easily intimidated. I remember whipping out my large Emerson knife with the "Wave" opener in front of several young ladies. I had just finished a yoga class and was needing to open a recalcitrant can of coconut water. We were talking, they were in their mid twenties and when the large blade clicked open they all gasped in unison. I quickly replaced the knife in my pocket, apologized and explained the knife was just a tool that I used every day and not an instrument of death as they saw it. I think they understood.
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    2nd worse feeling in the world - Ran my G43 dry with no spare magazine.
    But I had a backup gun.

The number 1 worse feeling in the world would have been - no backup gun.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep...two extra mags...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    I carry an extra 13 round magazine for my G27 and a six shot speed strip for my S&W 642.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    Extra Mag or speed loaders depending.....
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep...two extra mags...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, if I can't escape with the 7 rounds in the gun and magazine I will throw the gun and still try to escape the situation.  I am not interested in a firefight.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I have a keychain which has an inert .500 S&W 500 Mag cartridge as a fob.
    Don't think twice about it myself, but it has raised an eyebrow on occasion when someone sees it.
    I have a Polish 44 mag (a 44 Mag bullet on a necked UP 357 case) on my Cube Van key ring. That caused some concern with a small town Illinois PD officer during a traffic stop.   

Oh, and since I don't carry an auto, I just carry a speed loader for the Model 60.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭

I either carry a G43 with a 10rd mag extension but no spare mag (like a trip to the grocery store)

Most the time I am now carrying a Glock 48 with Shield Arms 15 round mags & carry 2 extra shield mags.

46 rounds of 147grn 9mm. Things are too crazy right now.

I will add- sooner or later a magazine’s reliability will become questionable (you should be shooting what you carry!).

This alone makes a solid case for a spare mag. Last- mags are small- its just as easy to carry 2 as it is to carry 1 extra.

• Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    I carry 2 guns and extra ammo in the car or truck. If I can't shoot my way out of trouble with 12 rounds then extra ammo probably ain't gonna help me anyway. 
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

I carry a 1911. No need fo extra rounds.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Jim get the thumbs up.
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭
    Folks not raised in the culture are easily intimidated. I remember whipping out my large Emerson knife with the "Wave" opener in front of several young ladies. I had just finished a yoga class and was needing to open a recalcitrant can of coconut water. We were talking, they were in their mid twenties and when the large blade clicked open they all gasped in unison. I quickly replaced the knife in my pocket, apologized and explained the knife was just a tool that I used every day and not an instrument of death as they saw it. I think they understood.
    I am constantly amazed by the number of people that don't understand why a man would carry a knife . . . .

many of those people are men (or at least males - - - I think).
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    Since it's summertime, I pocket carry my Ruger LC9S Pro with a spare mag in the same pocket. To me it looks square.
    If heading towards the big city of Springfield, MO I'll strap on my Glock 26 and carry a spare Glock 19 mag in my off hand pocket.

Went down to Little Rock, AR last month for an over-nighter, loaded up my pair of 33rd Glock mags with Federal 124gr +P HST's and threw them in the consul box. OWB carried my Glock 19 with a G17 mag in a belt pouch. Also had my AR15 and 6 spare mags with me in my 4Runner.

We walked down to the River Walk after eating dinner in downtown LR. I think it's my jihad beard & 225# build but no-one messed with us.

edited July 2020
    I carry a knife everywhere. Spyderco always and backed up with a Benchmade OTH if loafing
    Snowflake are taking over and nothing seems to slow them down.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭

I always carry at least 1 extra mag or speedloader and sometimes 2 extra. If I’m carrying my Bond Arms Derringer yes I do carry 2 extra rounds. One trick you can always do is load them on a speed strip so they aren’t just rolling around or in a ammo dump pouch. I can’t speak for other brands of derringer but with a little practice with a Bond Arms you can fire two rounds and reload pretty quickly.

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
    hillbille said:
    does anyone else just carry few bullets in their pocket, sorta like barney did??  I carry a small deringer on most occasions and carry two extra 38's in my change pocket, doubt I could ever get it reloaded in time but they are there if needed. and do get some weird looks from the younger cashiers when I go to get change and they see the bullets in with the pocket change, guess it gives em something to think/worry about for rest of day............
    this is a joke right?
  • mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭
    if ya need more that your gun carrys you should not go there ??
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    mac10 said:
    if ya need more that your gun carrys you should not go there ??

Since you can predict the future, can you let me know the winning lottery numbers?
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    mohawk600 said:
    hillbille said:
    this is a joke right?
    no........
  • susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    I carry an extra mag with one short of full.  I always have a knife on me.  Its a tool that comes in handy for those little unexpected situations like when the molding around the windshield blows off and is hanging on by a strip of double stick tape, but that's a story for another day.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    ...Combat Commander on my right hip sitting in a Galco Avenger belt holster,  Galco  belt SMC single mag case on my left hip.......both bought from Galco online...extra mag is very cheap life insurance...a little Lexol now and then and the leather is good to go... :*
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    I carry a spare loaded magazine for my .45 auto.  The mag is in a leather clip on holster on my left side and the pistol is in a holster on my right side.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    "Folks not raised in the culture are easily intimidated. I remember whipping out my large Emerson knife "
    I carry an "assisted opener" because my Benchmade auto is too valuable to risk having an overzealous cop steal it. During work meetings, anyone needing a knife asks for me to cut since most don't carry tools.  The guy who used to be my supervisor commented once "it always scares me just a little when that knife comes out even when I expect it".
    RE: spare magazines
    I carry a single 12 round mag in a belt pouch between the crossdraw holster and the flashlite pouch.
    Mans knife.
    Went to a meeting long ago and they served some kind of beef, a tad tough so I broke out the ole Spyderco. Lady beside me was having a hard time cutting hers up with the supplied plastic knife. Want to borrow my knife? No way, I know what you fellows use them for. Ha ha. It was a farm type meeting.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    I always carry one extra mag.