In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I Like Silver

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in General Discussion

It is big.

It is heavy.

It is valuable.   I don't understand the stock market.  I don't even know what it is. 
 I like silver.

Comments

• gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    I can confidently predict that gold & silver will continue to surge. How do I know? I sold all of mine yesterday.
  • chmechme Member Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭
    I like silver too- but mine is in little round pieces called dollars, half dollars and quarters.  Pre 1965.  No need to assay or weigh.  By pure chance I just added to my stash at the spot melt value 8 days ago.  Up about 10%.    
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭
    Poured, 100oz bars like yours offer the lowest premium per ounce over spot when purchased. Right now, purchase price is around $2,700 per bar including the roughly $300.00 premium. At selling time large chunks can be difficult. If you want to make a 10% profit, you need to find someone willing to lay down $3 grand all in one chunk. And if you sell back to a dealer, the premium goes their way on the sale also. Kinda pricey for bartering use in a SHTF scenario. I too like silver, but I like it in more manageable smaller pieces. 
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree truthful.  Yes, on the purchase side you pay more of a for smaller units but there will be many more buyers/traders if you need to sell.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭
    truthful said:
    Poured, 100oz bars like yours offer the lowest premium per ounce over spot when purchased. Right now, purchase price is around $2,700 per bar including the roughly $300.00 premium. At selling time large chunks can be difficult. If you want to make a 10% profit, you need to find someone willing to lay down $3 grand all in one chunk. And if you sell back to a dealer, the premium goes their way on the sale also. Kinda pricey for bartering use in a SHTF scenario. I too like silver, but I like it in more manageable smaller pieces. 
    That is the reason I bought all of my silver in 1 oz coins.  Easier to sell and barter.  I paid a small premium but expect to make that back up if I ever have to use them.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a bunch of this novelty bullion 7 years ago. Always thought it would do well at gun shows, but haven’t tried it yet.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

I'm just a poor ignorant Country Boy, (with a College Education.) and lot's of real World experience.

I will rely on Food, Water, Firewood, Guns and Ammunition. Personally, I can not see trading anything but what I have listed when it comes right down to it.

Where you live is going to play an Enormous part of it. Most People tend to overlook that aspect. I moved back down here 9 years ago, for a reason.

• mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

When I worked for the Dutch produce company "the Greenery" you had the option to take your bonus and a small percentage of your salary in hard currency...

I have 50 each Queen Juliana 2 1/2 Gulden 3.3 cm Big Silver Dutch specie coins...

Authentic Coin of: Netherlands

Juliana - Queen of the Netherlands: 6 Sept. 1948 – 30 April 1980

1962 Silver 2½ Gulden 33mm (14.92 grams) 0.720 Silver (0.345 oz. ASW) Reference: KM# 185 Designer: L.O. Wenckebach

◦ JULIANA KONINGIN DER NEDERLANDEN, Head of Queen Juliana rht

2½ G NEDERLAND about coat of arms of Netherlands dividing year above. : Edge Lettering: GOD * ZIJ * MET * ONS *

I have 62 each of the below referenced specie / currency

Authentic Coin of:

Netherlands - Juliana - Queen of the Netherlands: 6 Sept. 1948 – 30 April 1980

1964 Silver 2½ Gulden 32mm (15.05 grams) 0.720 Silver (0.3472 oz. ASW) Reference: KM# 185 Designer: L.O. Wenckebach

JULIANA KONINGIN DER NEDERLANDEN, Head of Queen Juliana

2½ G NEDERLAND coat of arms of Netherlands dividing year above.

Edge Lettering: GOD * ZIJ * MET * ONS *

I have 3 each of the below referenced specie / currency

I also have a few select items from Mexico and the Dominican Republic and Canada if anyone is interested in seeing them please let me know and I shall post some asap.

Mike

• Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a bunch of $1 Billion Zimbabwe dollar bills.

RLTW

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    I have several million Reichsmarks.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

They would be worth about as much in barter as a bunch of Silver. IMHO. If it gets downright Ugly, the only thing that matters is what it takes to survive. That is what I have been stockpiling.

Showing someone you possess Silver would make you a Huge target. Doubt you would get Spec. 😮

• Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    I like silver to. Especially coin silver antique pocket watches like my American Watch Co. (Waltham) Model 1857 made 149 years ago in 1871.  

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    Sam06 said:

I think equates to 2 cents per billion?
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

I was always more of a Scout fan

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, will silver bullets kill zombies of just vampires???
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    Good to know. I know Green Tip won't work.
  • scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Just curious...How do you know green tip won’t kill a vampire?

Just curious...How do you know green tip won’t kill a vampire?

Well don't you watch movies?? It's common knowledge that it takes a wooden stake driven through the heart to kill vampires and it takes silver bullets to kill werewolf's. And of course you can hit a zombie in the head with anything and kill them. 
    Dude, I saw it on utube. Green tip won't kill nothing. It's kind of a running joke between Sam and some of my other buddies from the military. I hope it works if I need it cause that is what my mags are loaded with.
    Sam06 said:

I think equates to 2 cents per billion?
    I have a one Dollar bill dtd 2007, 1, 5, 10, 20 & 50 Billion Dollar bills dtd 2008 & a 10 Trillion Dollar bill also dtd 2008.
    I also have a 100,000 Peso Mexican note dtd 1988. Just before they came out with the new Peso worth 1000 old Pesos. As best I recall the new Peso was worth around 7 Pesos to the Dollar. As bad as our inflation has been Mexico's has been about three times as bad since then. At one time looooong ago when our money had REAL value the US Dollar & the Mexican Peso both circulated as legal tender in the US at par. The US Dollar & Mexican Peso were based on the Spanish Piece of Eight which is why a quarter is called two bits.
    Smitty- for Vampires, you need these-

Rub with garlic before use.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Swedish Mauser ammo?
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, will silver bullets kill zombies of just vampires???
    I dry fired one of the .50 BMGs, Ricci, and sadly these would not kill warewolves unless you can throw them hard enough to break the skin.  
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    chme said:

chme said:

My wooden bulllets were red

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
    Could you imagine getting hit with a wooden bullet? Talk about infection! Your body would be full of splinters getting infected every where. That makes me cringe to think about. :#
    Actually. those are training rounds- blanks.  The bullet comes apart at the muzzle.  I DO have a few rounds of wooden bullet revolver SHOT loads- thin walled wooden projectile, filled with lead shot.  The colored bullets were marking the year of production.  Red, green. purple, etc.  
    Dang silver at 27.12 Like that if it hits 30 ......... well I probably will do nothing LOL
    chme said:
    Actually. those are training rounds- blanks.  The bullet comes apart at the muzzle.  I DO have a few rounds of wooden bullet revolver SHOT loads- thin walled wooden projectile, filled with lead shot.  The colored bullets were marking the year of production.  Red, green. purple, etc.  

From what I've read the shredder device made for the Swedish Mausers was because the clowns were shooting each other with the wooded bullets and that device was designed to destroy them. My worry if they shooting wooden bullets at each other what if they forgot to take the "shreddr" thing off and fired a real round!!!!
    I have quite a few 45/70 shot shells that use the thin wooden sabot. Quite a while ago I pulled one & the shot had turned to a powder. They are probably over a hundred years old. Got them with my Great-Grandfathers Trapdoor carbine.
    $27.80 an ounce on 8-6.   On 7-26 it was $22.78 

I like gold, too.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    allen griggs - I'll do you a favor and take those off your hand since those were mined under forced labor during the apartheid. Wouldn't want you to be thought as pro apartheid.   
    I hadn't thought about that!   1975, these are a product of racism.

PM me with your address I will get them in the mail tomorrow.
    Like it more every day :)

• Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    Dang, I was feeling pretty smug about my YTD gain of 54.91% in stocks, then I looked at silver YTD. 
    58.64%   Holy cow.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    ...At 29 and change...pulled mine from the safe and added it up, on the conservative side...because around here, a buck or two lower per oz. when you sell...unless you find a collector that will pay  the actual "coin" value. I found it far better to buy/sell plain bars rather than  coins such as Pandas, etc...easier to make out buying/selling bars for me...unless you play with Big Boy money, I don't....bet it spikes over $30 per oz. prior to the election.... :*
  • serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    COLT said:
    ...At 29 and change...pulled mine from the safe and added it up, on the conservative side...because around here, a buck or two lower per oz. when you sell...unless you find a collector that will pay  the actual "coin" value. I found it far better to buy/sell plain bars rather than  coins such as Pandas, etc...easier to make out buying/selling bars for me...unless you play with Big Boy money, I don't....bet it spikes over $30 per oz. prior to the election.... :*
      All depends on Congress giveaways continuing and no phantom buyers in Belgium buying  all the T-bills The Feds are going to put on the markets. If one or the other doesn't  happen then maybe 30.00 but if both the sky is the limit.
                                           serf