What's the difference between....?

What's the difference between Rem 209, CCI 209 and Win 209 Primers?

Comments

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭
    Other than the manufacturer, not a whole lot, 209 is the current shot shell primer number used. I wouldn't interchange them though. If you find a load that you want to try in your specific hull, most powder manufacturers have different wad and primer combinations listed, so you can get an idea as to what difference the primers make.
  • Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,222 ✭✭✭✭
    So then there IS a difference, right?  That's my question...what's the difference?
    I look up one load with a Win 209 primer and it doesn't have the wads or powder I have.  I look up another load with the Rem 209 primer and my powder and wads work, but I don't have those primers, so there must be some difference.  What is it?
    I always thought a 209 primer was a 209 primer.  <shuddering here a little bit> and I'm pretty sure I've used CCI 209's in lieu of Winchesters <shudder>!  "I think".

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭
    I would guess the difference would be the flash temperature of each primer. This really comes into play when you are near max loads. You should be able to find something that works..
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    Yes never assume the primes with same number have the same composition. Different brands have different compounds that could affect heavy loads especially.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 31,162 ✭✭✭✭
    There is different brisance between manufacturers due to differences in chemical formula in the primer compounds.  FWIW, I loaded what ever 209 primer was the cheapest to buy and never worried in AA hulls and red dot.  My loads were not that hot and the differences between brands were never noted.  YMMV, use caution, I am NOT recommending you do as I did, I am just passing on my personal experience.  The gun is a Browning Citori from the early 1990's.

• nononsensenononsense Member, Moderator Posts: 10,657 ******
    Without trying to reproduce everything from <bpost's> link, here are the comments by the author of this information. There are some important observations which will have an effect on the selection, use and outcome of your testing.

This is a retype after losing the original web page.  I did not put in the individual comments.  Note the spreads.  The Rem's had some very wild shots high and low.  CCI BR2 and the Fed 's were the most even of the common ones.  The new Russian were very even, but this was a limited lot and they are not widely available.

Weighing Primers: I did some test weighing and found the bench rest had virtually no variations.  Of the others, there WAS a relation between weight and power.  Those extra heavy tended to be stronger, and light were weaker.

Firing pin strength also seems to be a definite factor. Stronger hit is probably more consistent.  This has been noted by some sharps shooters when they break a firing pin.  It will still fire, but they get fliers and open groups. 

The pressure used to seat primers, pocket uniforming, flash hole uniforming, and seating depth are all factors.  Keep them all the same.

Another thing that is not in this test, but I have noted, is using a newsprint wad over the primer.  This keeps grains of powder out of the flash hole.  It seems to even out the ignition by eliminating a variable (sometimes with grains in and sometimes without grains in, or a variety of combinations).

It's important to note here that those of us who test primers while testing centerfire loads, apply the same procedure to reloading and testing shotgun loads since the primer can make a significant difference in performance. In my experience shooting competitive trap, I have to have at least 3 different loads because of the game being shot. I shoot singles, doubles and handicap (27 yard line). In any of these though, the real concentration is applied to consistency shot-to-shot, most especially in handicap from the very furthest yardage.

In general though, the cheapest primers show the greatest difference shot-to-shot. although none of the primers for sale currently could be called 'cheap'. The primers which demonstrate the greatest consistency in conjunction with all the other components usually gets the call.

Best.

• BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭

Here was the most informative set of explanations and primer comparisons that I have found.

I try to stick with Winchester 209’s myself. But for me it’s more about taking as many variables as possible out of the shells to allow me to focus on my own inconsistencies.

http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/primersubs.htm