In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Forum member Maalox has passed away

mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
I received an email forwarded from Kasey that long time member David Maley, known to us all as Maalox, has passed away after a long battle with cancer. To be honest, I had no idea that he was ill, and if he ever made mention of his cancer in the forums I must have missed it. 

Details of his life and his funeral service can be found here:
https://memorials.standardfuneralcenter.com/david-maley/4291797/index.php

Rest In Peace, Maalox.

Comments

• Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    In a line of a post he made on a thread I recall him writing he had something going on.   But he didn't give details or follow up on it.   I didn't ask at the time in respect to his privacy.  I figured he if wanted to share he would.   Perhaps I should have asked.

RIP David
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, a long time poster gone. RIP sir, we had a few private conversations, good fellow.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    RIP Maalox! Prayers said for David's family.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    RIP David and my sympathies and prayers for his wife Rosita. Haven't used the hunting knife he gave me yet, but when I do I'll be thinking of him. Bob
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    Prayers for his wife, family and friends......May God provide peace and guidance during these difficult times....
    RIP Maalox....
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    Sad news indeed. He was a good guy.
  • bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭
    Our prayers are with David and his family.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    It sounds like he led a pretty full life.  peace in your travels.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭
    He was such a sweet person.   His wife is equally kind and I'm certain she will miss him very much.      
    He had sent me a message saying things weren't going very well, but asked that I not post about it on the forums.   I never know what to say to someone that is struggling and I wish I could go back and just send him more messages letting him know I cared.   
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    What a great man David was. I enjoyed his company on the forums. We will all truly miss him. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family. Oak. 
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

Mark,

His fight with cancer was one of lonely fortitude and a burden he carried mostly on his own back - which may have been my fault.

He knew he was sick when I began my cancer chronicles, and when Nord, Dave, and I began having Frank open often unpleasant dialogues on the subject.

He was particularly distressed with our discussing collateral physical and mental damage we inflicted on those closest to us, and he began to openly discuss his illness in the forums, partially to share his experience and partially to share our burden...

Nords Spartan like passing hit him hard as they had begun email correspondence that sometimes included me - and to be frank the way he perceived Dave as being spit on and ostracized here bothered him.

He was also pretty pissed of with me for awhile over my statements regarding my Morgan Silver dollar and my spoken position of choosing hospice when the cancer comes back instead of another round of treatments.

Pretty certain my attitude at that point bothered many here - you especially were quite verbal about it.

He also thought my insistence in volunteering at pediatric oncology while noble would end up leading to suicide.

He knew what was coming for a long time and chose to not burden others...

Let's all hope and pray that is sharing a pitcher of spaaten with Nord and the Lord - slowly puffing on some fine H. Upmans ring size 50+...*

With remote * one knee.

Go with god Dave.

I will tell you why. So shall my anticipation prevent your discovery, and your secrecy to the king and queen moult no feather. I have of late—but wherefore I know not—lost all my mirth, forgone all custom of exercises, and indeed it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory; this most excellent canopy, the air—look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire—why, it appears no other thing to me than a foul and pestilent congregation of vapors. What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world. The paragon of animals. And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me. No, nor woman neither, though by your smiling you seem to say so.[1]

Mike

• ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Never met him in person but he graduated from HS in the same conference. Lived in the upstate.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    My condolences
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    Sad news.  RIP David. You will be missed. Prayers.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭

Sad news. He was a good man and will be missed.

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭
    Sad, always enjoyed his posts. RIP
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,817 ✭✭✭✭
  • Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

Dave always offered great information on the latest semis, and I thank him gratefully for his insight on many guns that I may have purchased regretfully without his input. He posted many times about being sick, but never mentioned the heart of his battle. May he rest in peace.

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    Sorry to hear this sad news, prayers for Maalox and his family and loved ones.
  • gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

My condolences to his family. I met Dave at the shot show when it was here in Orlando a few years back. I got Dave into the show on Saturday and we spent the whole day walking around the show and talking. He was very knowledgeable and I learned a lot from him that day. I knew of his battle with the cancer but he never complained on the forum much about it. He will be missed by me and many more on this forum. May he Rest In Peace.

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
  • SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

RIP Sir.

I do remember several posts way back where he indicated he was struggling with Cancer.

• mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Very sad news, I didn't know him but I never recall anything but positive contributions to the forum discussions. May he rest in peace and prayers for his family to receive peace in his passing.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    Never new the man but what a small world.  I'm very familiar with the "Cavaliers", top notch group.  Also Rosemont.,  Il.  And my wife was from the next town over from Cicero!  Bless his soul.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭
    Prayers for his family.  He sure seemed like a decent fella.  
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    David was a class act. We spoke a couple of times years ago, and I feared the worst after not seeing him post lately considering I knew of his situation. RIP David,........and prayers asked for his wife and family.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭
    My prayers for all
  • IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭

60 is way to young. RIP. He will be missed

• sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts mimic yours Idaho. 
    He should have had many years left.
    Thanx Mark for posting his memorial page so we might know more about our forum brother.
    Prayers offered for him and his grieving family. 
    Arrivederci gigi
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    Tough bird as he never complained.....RIP
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    Sad news.
    I enjoyed conversing with him.
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    Condolences to his family.  RIP.