In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I like spiders.......Pics

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
This one is on my front porch....every evening the web is rebuilt and by the next morning is gone again...I usually check it out at night and catch a moth and toss into the web......Interesting process from there.....

Comments

• Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome. I have a buddy that does the same every evening on the deck. I don't toss him/her goodies though. With the s ok lar lights there are plenty of morsels that flutter through.

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    We have a bumper crop of these also........

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    last picture is an orb weaver.  have lots of them here in the deep south.  aint nothing much more thrilling than walking in the wood at night and catching one of those right in the face.
  • Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a bumper crop.

• Options
    love2shootlove2shoot Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Got the creepies!
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    They startle me but I admire their construction skills so I let them do as they please.  I do the best I can to leave spiders alone but weaving webs in the reloading room will get them hosed with wasp and hornet killer or brake cleaner.  That space is my 300 square feet and they can not trespass.  Either can a woman..... ;)
  • Options
    MrMag00MrMag00 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    clays said:
    This is a bumper crop.

Did they catch a dog or something? 
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭
    I love anything that eats bugs and rodents.  I find spiders and their web designs very interesting.  Just recently I have found a little, tiny spider, not even as big as a piece of size 8 shot.  The only way I found this little guy was I went out to check on my rabbits after dark.  I can pick this guy up with a flashlight but I can't see it during the day.  How does something that small survive????
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    dreher said:
    I love anything that eats bugs and rodents.  I find spiders and their web designs very interesting.  Just recently I have found a little, tiny spider, not even as big as a piece of size 8 shot.  The only way I found this little guy was I went out to check on my rabbits after dark.  I can pick this guy up with a flashlight but I can't see it during the day.  How does something that small survive????
    democratic brain eater, they have evolved to go months if not years between meals.......
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    William81 said:

Many, many, moons ago we had one weave its web between the corners of the house and the garage. My mom was headed out for work and when she got there she let out a screech, came back into the house and went out with the Daisy Red Ryder. She held the muzzle up to that spider and let it have a BB then immediately let out a hair raising scream. She made another return trip into the house with her face covered in spider guts. 
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    We find the orb spiders all stunned and wrapped up in Mud Dobber huts. Food for the young.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    Gold and black garden spider, Argiope arantiaca.  The heavy zig-zag webbing in the orb reflects untra-violet light, which most insects see.  It pretty much directs flying insects to the center of the web avoiding the zig-zag.   A few days after the young hatch.  They pick a breezy day, let out a number of strands of silk from their spinnerets and the wind resistance from the silk carries them away, a process called balooning.  They are said to balloon for as many as 600 miles.  
  • Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    Several times when going through the woods at night to my deer stand one of them big Orb weaver webs would wrap around my face and sometimes the spider would be on my face and things got dropped fast. Other times I would have to stop and remove the web from my face and no spider knowing he was most likely on me somewhere. After resuming my journey I would later feel the big spider crawling up the back of my neck and panic time again. Just thankful they are not aggressive biters when on me.
    Use of Bifen IT will do in the recluse spiders fast.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    I like spiders.   They work hard and make beautiful webs.  They eat bugs.
    Girlfriend has just about stopped trying to get me to kill them, at the worst, I will catch them and throw them outside unharmed.  I tell the girlfriend I can't help it, my fifth grade teacher read Charlotte's web to the class and it got me to liking spiders.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I like what they do but I am not a big fan.   I was either deployed or served in a lot of places with huge spiders(like Panama in the jungle) and I am not too fond of them.  I remember waking up with a very large tarantula walking across my chest one time in Panama. 

We had camel spiders in Iraq and they were very creepy.

Give me your best Camel Spider story  army

RLTW

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    William81 said:

Don't smile or open  your mouth around these critters. 'Cause if they count your teeth you'll die. 
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    Sam06 said:
    I like what they do but I am not a big fan.   I was either deployed or served in a lot of places with huge spiders(like Panama in the jungle) and I am not too fond of them.  I remember waking up with a very large tarantula walking across my chest one time in Panama. 

We had camel spiders in Iraq and they were very creepy.

Give me your best Camel Spider story  army

Sam those are not actually spiders, though they are arachnids.  They are solpugids or sun spiders.  They are not venomous either bite or sting (they have not sting).  That said, if they were 8 feet long they would be the most dangerous land animal on earth.  They are incredibly rapacious and will eat other invertebrates their own size including other solpugids.  They are creepy, their movements are very quick and appear almost robotic.