In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Barnes reloading data???

Looking to load some Barnes 115 TSX bullets in my 257 Weatherby. I am amazed at the difference between the Barnes on line data, and the information in the #4 manual. For example, using 7828ssc, the book lists it as 63.0-68.0 grains, the on line data lists the same powder as 59.5-63.5 grains. H1000 is 63.5-67.5 on line, and the book is 66.0-72.0. Primers are the same (215M) on both. Thoughts??

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    As I understand it, the more accurate / sensitive pressure measuring devices that are available today determined that many older loading data was over pressure.  The newer data obtained reflects a reduction to stay within SAAMI limits.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    navc130 said:
    As I understand it, the more accurate / sensitive pressure measuring devices that are available today determined that many older loading data was over pressure.  The newer data obtained reflects a reduction to stay within SAAMI limits.
    That's interesting. Since I had some free time, I loaded up some Nosler 110 accubond's. Their on line and book data was the same.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    This a manufacturers list of loads for the .257 Weatherby. Be aware of the differing OAL dimensions:
    I agree that the changeover from CUP to PSI created some voids and conflicting data when folks tried to make some form of conversion to save re-shooting all of the data over again. But common sense won out in most situations. However Barnes has always been troublesome for me.

Their very first comprehensive reloading manual turned out to have so many mistakes that they reprinted sections of it to distribute to manual owners. The problem then became one of how do we handle the reprinted sections when we were dealing with a bound book? More stupidity. I finally ran mine through a commercial hydraulic shear then burned the pieces. To my knowledge, Barnes has not completely fixed all of their errors on the internet or in their written formats. When I have to develop loads using Barnes bullets I used my own testing procedures.

To your question, they are not even close to SAAMI specs with regard to pressure. They are seemingly choosing lower case capacities which result in lower pressures and velocities. They are also choosing powders which are too fast for adequate case filling. More stupidity. Small changes in short for capacity loads result in larger swings of pressure because of the ratio so there is only a narrow band of data. This may very well be an attempt to prevent potential over pressure situations when the data is applied to custom rifles which do not have the traditional Weatherby freebore lengths. Likely CYA.

Two suggestions:
    Start with slower powders immediately. Put the 7828 back on the shelf for later, smaller cases.
    Re-33
    H-1000
    Retumbo
    VVN-570
    The link I posted above has a decent 'start'/'max' range to get you going for H-1000. Know your freebore and how to use it.

Learn to use a chronograph when developing loads. Measure your chamber accurately then learn to watch for signs of pressure by case expansion instead of trying to use a primer which can be faulty.

Best.