In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

more high prices......

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
Or, in normal terms....golly gee
Look what people are paying for some Hodgdon H1000 powder.....
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875081026
Up over $130 a pound with shipping, and the auction ain't over.......

Comments

• claysclays Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭
    Wish I could figure out a way to ship it, I have lots of powder I would like to get rid of since I quit reloading.
  • SammySammy Member Posts: 28
    Is there something going on with powder that I don't know about ????   Is all powder going for very high prices ???
  • serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
     Preparing for The Apocalypse in November.If Biden with The Democrats get a majority we are heading for trouble.
                                                                                           serf
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Won't need powder if Biden wins all firearms will be outlawed in no time at all Second civil war will be over 2nd amendment LOL
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    Powder can be shipped ground with a hazmat fee, not sure but around $20.00 plus the usual shipping cost.  Check with UPS/FedX to see their costs and rules.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    mogley98 said:
    Won't need powder if Biden wins all firearms will be outlawed in no time at all Second civil war will be over 2nd amendment LOL
    I think we said that about obama, too. :smile:
  • serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    jimdeere said:
    mogley98 said:
    I think we said that about obama, too. :smile:

Yeah your right but an added 10 trillion to the budget since then makes A big difference in faith of the dollar especially when the Feds buy their own debt they created and call it sound money. If the public knew how much they are hiding on default swap lines between the world's central banks it would be mind boggling.
                                                                     serf
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    ammo guy said:
    Powder can be shipped ground with a hazmat fee, not sure but around $20.00 plus the usual shipping cost.  Check with UPS/FedX to see their costs and rules.
    Shipping smokeless powder requires a HAZMAT license which requires classes and a substantial fee. HAZMAT fees from suppliers run from a low of $9.95 to a high of $32.00 for packaging up to 48 lbs.
    Fraudulent shipping without a license carries a fine of $250,000 for individuals and $500,000 for companies.
    Best.

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭
    watched a auction that ended ..cci small pistol primers case 5000  1650.00  want to see if he gets paid
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Sammy said:
    Is there something going on with powder that I don't know about ????   Is all powder going for very high prices ???
    A friend told me this weekend that all of Hodgdon production efforts were going into fulfilling a military contract for the next couple of years.    this might be true, or it may be the rumor mill runnin' overtime.   Guess we'll wait and see.  
    For your enjoyment:
    St, Marks Florida. It's the onetime Olin Corp plant, now part of General Dynamics. It makes double-based ball powders only or those (Such as Hodgdon Hybrid 100V and some Alliant types) using the same slurry / distillation based process.

All Winchester and Hodgdon ball / 'spherical' grades are supplied by St. Marks as are nearly all propellants used in US military small arms ammo, the US government having decided way back in the 1950s with 7.62 adoption that this type would be the norm, sniper and special purpose ammo aside.

Ramshot / Accurate ball powder comes from PB Clermont in Belgium. Hodgdon extruded grades and IMR-8208 XBR from Thales / ADI in Mulwala, NSW, Australia. Other than 8208 XBR, IMR extruded rifle powders are also made by a General Dynamics Corp owned plant in Valleyfield, Ontario, Canada. (Hodgdon owns the IMR brand name and marketing rights IIRC.) This plant also makes some Accurate brand extruded numbers. All Vihtavuori powders come from the town of that name in Finland.

Alliant 'Reloder' extruded grades were all made by Bofors in Sweden until a few years ago, but some recent additions such as Re17 and Re33 are sourced from Nitrochemie Wimmins AG in Switzerland. Alliant has also started using spherical grades from St. Marks.

Health & Safety and the EPA is the primary reason that all extruded powders are made outside of the USA. Ball types manufacture uses non-inflammable / explosive slurries with material piped between processes until the little balls are distilled out at a late stage for chemical treatments and grading. This method also allows old out of date propellants to be recycled alongside fresh ingredients reducing costs.

Extruded powders start by dissolving cellulose in powerful acids, a dangerous exothermic process and whose products are immediately highly explosive and inflammable, then further inherently dangerous processes and solvents are used to convert 'guncotton' into usable propellants. Many of the materials used are corrosive and toxic, likewise creating waste and pollution issues that have to be dealt with nowadays, not just dumped into waste ground or rivers as would once have been done.

All this makes the manufacture of this type inherently riskier which in this day and age is also much more expensive. A guy in the handloading powder business told me years ago that the EPA hadn't banned extruded powder manufacture, but its regulations were so onerous that any such produced in the country would be so expensive, nobody would buy them.

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting NN
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    Uninformed question, pistol and rifle primers have to be shipped with hazmat fee? 
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Uninformed question, pistol and rifle primers have to be shipped with hazmat fee? 
    Supposed to be, yes.. I just bought some last month off of the auction side for a good price. Seller just sent them thru USPS in a priority mail box.....I had no idea it was coming that way.
    Hazmat Packages:  We can combine up to 48 lbs of powder and primers under one hazmat fee to save you money. UPS and FedEx charge $xx.xx Per Package on Hazardous Materials. Powder and Primers are Hazardous.

It's interesting to me that you can combine primers and powder together in one package for one fee. >:)

Shipping powder and/or primers without a HAZMAT license is illegal and you can be fined $250,000 for an individual and $500, 000 for a company. Last I checked the HAZMAT class and license was $481.xx approximately and has to be updated regularly.

Best.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you both.