In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Simon Cowell breaks his back in bad e-bike accident

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
 I think this will take the wind out of him and he won't be so cocky in the future. The only bike I have now that I ride is a stationary exercise bike myself.
                                          serf
  Simon Cowell was undergoing back surgery on Saturday night after a bad bike accident, Page Six is told.

The “America’s Got Talent” star, 60, was rushed to hospital following the crash at his home in Malibu, California.

He was testing a new electric bike in the courtyard of his home when the accident occurred, sources said.

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    He broke his back, in a bicycle accident in the court yard of his house.   This is weird.  I mean, how fast can you go in a courtyard.
    Cowell has lost 60 pounds in the past year.  My girlfriend said that that drastic weight loss can cause calcium to leave the body and can cause weak bones.  I think she is right.
    Good God!   A fractured back and 6 hours of surgery and a rod implanted in the spine.  It is a miracle he isn't paralyzed.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Yikes ya just never know huh? Hope he heals well. I get Serf's point Simon can be a rather abrasive fellow, his schtick on TV or maybe the real deal who knows but I wish no one any ill. I do know falling and breaking several ribs cooled my jets a little :)

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    I didn't know who he was until I Googled his name. My cousin Jim suffered a broken back (high up on the spine) in a cycling accident several years ago. Despite two major surgeries he remains in a wheelchair. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. 

• Options

GreatGuns said:
    serf said:

So what will take the wind out of you? Talk about being "cocky"?! The guy broke his freakin back. Your personal opinion of a TV personality is apparently extremely important............to you. Better stick to your "stationary exercise bike" there athlete.   ;)
                                  Don't worry I know how dangerous E bikes can be.  I don't need your advice. I think you lack Prudence.

serf

• Options
    JohnERebJohnEReb Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    I mean, how fast can you go in a courtyard.

It's not a regular house like you or I might live in. :)

It's a 9,335 square foot mansion in Beverly Hills which "boasts six bedrooms and six bathrooms and includes a professional tanning salon, a state-of-the-art gym, a luxury spa, a swimming pool and a live-in butler’s and maid’s quarters."

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    JohnEReb said:
    I mean, how fast can you go in a courtyard.

It's not a regular house like you or I might live in. :)

It's a 9,335 square foot mansion in Beverly Hills which "boasts six bedrooms and six bathrooms and includes a professional tanning salon, a state-of-the-art gym, a luxury spa, a swimming pool and a live-in butler’s and maid’s quarters."

Probably needs to add a ER
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,666 ******
    Who’s Simon Crowell?
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    But he owns REAL cars.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,666 ******
    As Briscoe Darlng would say:

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

I personally can’t stand ebikes. I’ll be huffing up a hill, my heart bursting and legs burning, and some little old blue haired lady will cruise past with a cheery tinkle of her bell.

• Options
     We Americans take too much for granted. The handwriting is already on the wall.
                                                 serf
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,068 ✭✭✭✭
    Those e bikes are zippy. Back in 2000 I was playing around with one, I'm sure they're even more zippy now. I'm sure the maids were laughing their * off before helping him. I wonder if TMZ has the footage now?
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    GreatGuns said:
    That's actually his "old place" in Beverly Hills (that UK news source is not current). His new place is a $24 million dollar estate on the coast in Malibu.

The house is fitted with six bedrooms, seven bathrooms and a 1.63-acre garden, just meters from the coast. Aerial shots also show a tennis court, currently being used as a car park. The house has six fireplaces, both inside and outside.

Cowell owns an entire collection of supercars and he doesn’t stay quiet about it either. His most used is his recently bought, Tesla Model X and his Rolls Royce Phantom, which costs a staggering $500,000.

Other vehicles Cowell has owned before including a Lamborghini Urus, Bentley Continental GT Convertible and a Bugatti Veyron (which alone costs nearly $2 million).

"Living life to the fullest."   ;)

You polishing his chrome or something else. Maybe wash his lug nuts? ROTFLMAO/
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    RICH PEOPLE HAVE SUCH PROBLEMS!
    One of my favorite sayings. 
    BTW, My old 12-speed is stuck in 2nd gear.  I rode (and pushed) it 7 miles today.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    I have had a Charger E-bike for maybe 20 years. It's heavy, 63 lbs as I recall & while it can increase by as much as four times your input it is limited by it's relatively low motor power so steep hills & my weight are a real problem. Worse is you have to peddle so if I can't get up the hill I have to push a 63 lb bike up the steep hill.
    This does remind me of my postmaster who put the front wheel of his bicycle into a sewer grate. He went head first over the handlebars & broke his (neck or collarbone or something) & was laid up for quite a while. I got quite a kick out of teasing him since he had been so hard on accidents. He had always said there was no such thing as an accident only carelessness.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    As I said above, it is a miracle he wasn't paralyzed.  

August 10, 2020 | 9:15am | Updated

Simon Cowell recovering from surgery to fix broken back
    Video Player is loading.
    Play Video
    0:49
    /

Simon Cowell is lucky not to be paralyzed after a horrific bike crash, breaking his back in three places, friends of the “America’s Got Talent” host tell us.

The 60-year-old underwent a six-hour operation Saturday, while his longtime girlfriend, Lauren Silverman, waited nervously. Doctors said he narrowly missed severing his spinal cord.

A source said: “He did a turn in his courtyard, changed gear, and then the bike went into a wheelie and threw him off the back . . . Simon was in complete agony and was stretchered out of his home and taken in an ambulance to hospital.

“Friends at the scene quickly checked that he could move fingers and toes — he could have been paralyzed . . . When he fell off the bike, he landed right on his back, which broke in a number of places,” the source said, adding that “he had to have a metal rod inserted into his back.”

Cowell was at home in Malibu, Calif., with Silverman, their 6-year-old son, Eric, and her 14-year-old son, Adam, when he fell. “He was in shock and in massive amounts of pain . . . He’s doing OK in the circumstances,” the source said.

The caustic television personality addressed his accident in a tweet on Sunday night. “Some good advice . . . If you buy an electric trail bike, read the manual before you ride it for the first time,” he wrote. “I have broken part of my back. Thank you to everyone for your kind messages.”

The accident means Cowell will miss the first live show of “America’s Got Talent” on Tuesday night. An NBC source said, however, that the show will go on with his fellow three judges — Howie Mandel, Sofía Vergara and Heidi Klum.

He faces a lengthy spell in the hospital, although a pal joked, “Knowing Simon, he’ll be ready to go home as soon as they’ll let him. He’s going to hate being cooped up.”

Cowell turned to biking after embracing a get-fit regimen that saw him lose 60 pounds over the past few years.

• Options
    Damn I bet you got your butt beat a lot in school if you let your bull dog mouth overload your picaneeze * like you do here. Just sayin. You have a problem dude.
  • Options
    My guess is you just imagine that folks are nice to you.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    He does not come across as a likable person, but it could merely be a persona for the TV.  Saw a kid pass me on one of those electrically assisted bicycles the other day.  I was going 35, and he was pedaling as he passed me.  It was impressive. 
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭

Don’t know much about him , may be a jackwad like he comes across on tv or not . Doesn’t change my pay one way or another . Just know that I wish no ill will towards any one . Sorry about his accident , hope he heals up soon .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
This discussion has been closed.