Have ever seen a 12 Ga. Shotgun shell like this.

Edgarl1966Edgarl1966 Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
Do you know anything about this Shell. History, why is is made like this Ect. 

Comments

• mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭
    edited August 26

Salesman or dealer window sample shots shell insert new product or patent demonstration piece - I have a dozen or so including industrial kiln rounds...

Mike

edited August 26

granulated flaked powder followed by felt disc wad stack topped with a "new" shot string designed to hold together longer after leaving the barrel or passing through the choke tube prior to separation to produce tighter spread and harder hits at longer ranges - high brass paper hull with paper cap colored nomenclature insert instead of crimp closure...

Just to be specific.

Mike

• Edgarl1966Edgarl1966 Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    Thank You for your quick response. Edgar 

The high gun headstamp brand line nomenclature is intriguing - I do not have a Peters hull so marked and the sobriquet used may raise collector interest or indicate increased value or rarity...

Probably helps define the production timeline - I would expect finding an ad or period correct manufacturer ephemera much easier based on that branding and name usage which I am unfamiliar with...

Mike

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭
    Might be a lot older than it first appears? Either that or the over shot wad that was used, is positively ancient. Ballistite powder, dates to the late 19th Century. It was one of the first commercial gun powders, invented by Alford Nobel of Dynamite fame.

Because it's manufactured, with a healthy dose of Nitroglycerin. I kind of doubt that it's been used for shotgun loads. Any time recently.
  • forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26
    Cartridge board gifted to me has numerous samples, along with many rifle and pistol cartridges, all displayed behind glass in a frame,,,,,

• XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭
    Ballistite was still being sold as late as the 50's. (although hard to find)  I think Lymans number 40 or 41 loading book was still listing loads for it.  A fast powder to be sure.
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭
    Yes, salesman sample. I have a few boxes, Winchester, Peters, and Western. They came in a box say 3 x 5 and had at least 5 different loads. Window shells I think is correct for the occasion.
  • kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭
    edited September 1
    I looked on a cartridge auction and window shells were going for $15 to $65, depending on what they were. Had a Peters just like yours; brought $38.
    The 'High Gun ' headstamp was in use between 1902-1911.