In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How'd we survive?? I remember when....

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
public restrooms had a large  continuous roll cloth towel to dry your hands on.  It was suppose to lock after being completely used and removed to be laundered.  I don't think any of the units locked, they just kept re-rolling back and forth.  

Comments

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember.........haven't seen one of those for years.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    I remember them, but can't think of the last time I saw one.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    in most of the gas stations they were supposed to be white, but would come out brownish/black ........ shirttails got a lot of use back in those days
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭
    Then we moved to nobody washing their hands.

- and from there we went to those stupid "hold your hands under this fan kinda thing that is supposed to blow the water off your hands"

- now back to nobody washing their hands.

Do you suppose the next step is some decent way to dry your hands . . . so folks will start washing their hands again?
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

When we were putting up hay or cutting tobacco, the women would bring an midday meal out to the barn. We would pass around an ice cold bucket of water and all drink from the same ladle.

(Or) Similar, we would as kids drink from the garden hose.

• Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    those "cloth loop" hand dryers were banned after some kids playing in one got tangled up and suffocated.
    Now some research has shown the "High velocity air" hand dryers just drove the germs deeper in the nooks and crannies of your hands so they've fallen out of favor.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    When I was a kid I rode my bicycle all over without a helmet :o
    RLTW

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    Remember when you could go in a restaurant, pay one price, and all the food was laid out on hot bars? Eat all you want? Buffet?
    Oh, wait, that was just last year.

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    Sam06 said:
    You daredevil you!
    Sam06 said:
    but I bet you will need one when you take the training wheels off............
  • ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭
    Eating icicles off of buildings...

Sticking your tongue to a frozen metal pole. (Okay, I expect to catch grief for this admission.) 😉

• Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

Drinking right out of the creek

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    Nanuq907 said:

Drinking right out of the creek

Can't tell you have much lake water I drank after a day of bailing and putting up hay, then head to the lake to clean up. Cool, crisp and felt good. No issues afterward.
    Icicles off of building, like candy canes, a lot.
    Snow ice cream, yep.
    Air hand dryers, yuck and then you have to grab the door handle with your shirt. 
    So many thing, so little time.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    How about the kiddie seats for cars with the 2 metal hooks that went over the seat back.Most even had a plastic steering wheel so you could pretend you were driving.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Or guns having "warnings" engraved on them. Or chocolates with cancer warnings (at least here in California). 
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭

All of the above and a set of lawn darts

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭

Some Brothers up North, had a band called The Lawn Darts. They rocked. Several tapes/CD's. (Still have em') They used to play all our parties. (Worked with 1/2 of them.)

Good times.

I remember those austin. A couple kids would get on, and one or two people would stay on the ground, throwing it faster and faster, untl it started to fling people off. Then we would go over to my house and play Lawn Darts. (For real.)

savage170 said:

All of the above and a set of lawn darts

we use to move the circles out to about 50 yards or so then thow them as hard as we could, never did hit anyone with one but we did kill an old spider bike once, had the dart come down on the banana seat and went clean through the sheet metal base of the seat and stuck!!  some black electric tape and it was good to go again with a war story no one else had......
    edited August 2020

We used to have BB gun wars. 😮 (No head shots, no groin shots.)

I also remember having Roman Candle Wars out in the desert, around El Paso. (Late 60's) Those were the best.

Oh yeah, Bottle Rocket Wars.

we used to use the red ryder type lever actions ones to shoot kitchen matches, slide one down barrell and shoot it down driveway or sidewalk and it would light, then used the burned ones to shoot flies. neighbor had a screened in porch with the old metal screen we would sit in it and shoot the matches at flies on the inside of the screen, only downside was it would stretch the screen as the matche stick in it to the size of the match, which left a bunch of slightly larger square holes all over the screen, once his dad found out what was causing it, we got the double whammy, a spanking from him and one from my own dad when I got home an he called and told my day what we had done...........
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    Tons of farm equipment with hardly any guards over belts and such. I lost a school classmate from an accident with a combine.
    I see pictures of us kids driving powerful tractors unsupervised, out doing farm work and can't even remotely imagine many kids now doing that, even that are much older.

I don't remember this one very well, but my dad tells a story of me driving our really old 2 ton truck (I think maybe late 40's early 50's). He would start it, put it in low, and put the two speed rear in low. Then, I would STAND on the seat and drive it around the field where he walked along and threw bales up on it. As I got a little better, we'd use the bale elevator. Well, I started going up a hill and the truck started to really struggle. So, seeing others drive, I knew I needed to push that pedal on the right. So, I JUMPED off the seat onto the gas pedal. My dad was on the top of the load and he said the load just kind of dissolved below him as it fell off the truck. He said he was sitting on the pile of hay, now on the ground laughing his rear off. Then, he was like oh crap, I need to go get him (me) because I never took my foot off the gas pedal. LOL
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Started driving a farm tractor when I could barely reach the pedals, mowing, raking and baling hay on ground so steep that I can hardly walk on now. Yep know all to well about loading hay bales twice. Helped with big work horse, been stepped on several times and worked with cattle and pushed around pretty bad quite often. Took a good bit of courage to grab ole Bossie around the neck with one arm and hold on to her head with the other. Snotty fingers kinda stuff for those that have raised cattle would know about.  You could prevail if you meant business.  That was over 55 years ago. Just a way of life then.
    Never could ride one of these contraptions,  almost hurled just watching them go round.
    Butchdog2 said:
    Never could ride one of these contraptions,  almost hurled just watching them go round.
    seems like they allways put wooden mulch down around them too, so when you flew off you had a big pile of splinters to break your fall..........
    Shucks the one where I went to school was inside a big class room, Wooden walls and big cast iron steam radiators for cushions. One of the teachers decided she would give it a try, no too smart, she sat down on it with her legs out. She scooted across the floor like a like dog scratching his butt.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    I remember the gritty pink powder soap
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭✭

Our playground at school had one of those carousels. Always good for someone throwing up every recess

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    Heck KenK/84Bravo , they are still having bottle rocket ( and larger) wars in Portland.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Four minute video by Jeff Allen.   "The America I Grew Up In."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vSOKh8u-Aw
  • Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    I liked those towels.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Sleds roped to car bumpers.

(But we only did it in the winter.)

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭✭

We didn’t have sleds , we used old car hoods tied to the bumper when it snowed . That and skinning cats for those who know what that is .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
    BikerBob said:

Sleds roped to car bumpers.

(But we only did it in the winter.)

We used to hide behind trees and run out to grab the back bumpers of city buses and "ski" when the brick streets were iced over in Amarillo.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    I was a 10 year old kid in the Atlanta suburbs.  Our driveway went downhill from the road.  Driveway was 100 feet long, hill was fairly steep.
    But we had a cold snap one winter, I got out there with a garden hose and I spent all day hosing down the driveway.  By 4pm the driveway was a sheet of ice.  We got on a car hood and slid down the icy slope.   To kids from Georgia this was like the Winter Olympics.   We had a ball.
    Next day, the guy from the gas station was returning my parents' car, having just done some repairs.  He just pulled onto the driveway.  He didn't know it was a sheet of ice.   He swapped ends a couple times and would have gone off the little cliff at the bottom, except the two willow trees stopped him.