In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help decode markings on Russian ammo in spam can

nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
A friend wants to sell some ammo, but he doesn't remember what it is & doesn't want to open the can.  I suspect it's 7.62x54R; I definitely don't know how many rounds or if in stripper clips or boxes.

Neal

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    This link might help you. I believe the "Circle 10", actually means the ammo was made in Poland. The numbers inside of circles, were a old Warsaw Pact means of country identification.

https://m1-garand-rifle.com/mil-surplus-ammo.php

• Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    My best guess is 7.62x54R light ball but no idea of quantity or with clips or not.

edit = I'll defer to the consensus on heavy ball, but those foreign characters sure look like the symbols I found online for light ball.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭
    bulgarian 7.62x 54  heavy ball
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    Bulgarian heavy ball, lot 38 loaded circa 1963. The Yellow stripe is for heavy ball, silver or no stripe is light ball. Copper washed steel case, sometimes brass case, sometimes even repackaged Chinese ammo. It's all corrosive, it all goes bang, and that heavy ball kicks like a mule! FYI...Not to be used in a PSL, you'll break it!
    Opening a can of Bulgarian can be a surprise, and the only sure way to find out whats inside. I had two identical cans like that, both yellow stripe. One had heavy ball, the other had heavy ball steel core that has a yellow tip, but silver painted on the point.
    If I recall, they were packed 800rnds to one of those tins. If I can get to the last two cans I have, I'll check the round count marking for you.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    TRAP55 said:
    Bulgarian heavy ball, lot 38 loaded circa 1963. The Yellow stripe is for heavy ball, silver or no stripe is light ball. Copper washed steel case, sometimes brass case, sometimes even repackaged Chinese ammo. It's all corrosive, it all goes bang, and that heavy ball kicks like a mule! FYI...Not to be used in a PSL, you'll break it!
    Opening a can of Bulgarian can be a surprise, and the only sure way to find out whats inside. I had two identical cans like that, both yellow stripe. One had heavy ball, the other had heavy ball steel core that has a yellow tip, but silver painted on the point.
    If I recall, they were packed 800rnds to one of those tins. If I can get to the last two cans I have, I'll check the round count marking for you.
    Senior moment. The Warsaw Bloc, code for Bulgaria was, "Circle 10", not "Circle 11", which was Poland. I once had a Bulgarian Makarov, with the "Circle 10", marking, and I still dropped the ball. The only other one I'm sure about, is Hungary. Because I once owned a Mosin Nagant, Type 44 carbine. With a "Circle 2" marking, which was made in Hungary.
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    I think 440 rounds.
  • ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    Actually I think these cans have 300 rds in 10 rd paper packs. Usually  brass case.