In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ammo

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in Politics
Last week I had beer and pizza with some doctors I've worked with.  Good guys, I hunt with one of them now and then.   The one I hunt with and another I shoot with had ammo at home.  The first thing out of the other two's mouth was "where can I get ammo".   Mostly they needed 9mm and 38 ammo.   I turned them on to the seek option.  If they are willing to pay the prices I don't know.

I offered to trade them some ball ammo but thought I should hang on to what carry ammo I have.  After giving all my sons some 9mm HST ammo I could get short myself.

I meant to stock up on  .44mag and some other stuff but hadn't.  That can wait until prices correct.  I have plenty to get by on for what I mostly shoot and hunt with.  Wonder how long it will take for prices to drop this time.

Comments

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Probably as soon as President Trump is declared as winner unless the democraps won't accept it. 
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    I took a look at the website for one of the very large ammunition vendors. There is no .22LR, 9mm, or .45acp. There is a tiny amount of .40 S&W specialty rounds such as subsonic, but nothing else. I needed .380 ammo and had to trade 9mm one-to-one. Not a bad deal, but the neighbor only had one extra box of .380. 
    The current panic has the potential to surpass 2008 and 2012 combined.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    .380 is one of the ones I needed to stock up on.  I have carry ammo but need some plinking ammo.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited September 2020
    SCOUT5 said:
    .380 is one of the ones I needed to stock up on.  I have carry ammo but need some plinking ammo.
    I faced the same situation. I keep the .380 Ruger loaded with carry ammo in the center console of my car (nothing bigger than the Ruger will fit), so I never needed to buy more than one box of practice ammo at a time.  The time had come!
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Probably as soon as President Trump is declared as winner unless the democraps won't accept it. 
    I think it's gonna get worse as the rioters up their game post election.  
  • waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭
    I just seen a lot of boxes of .380 today, they had just got them in, Blazer 95 grain.  I just checked and I've got 400 rounds on hand. I might pick up a couple more boxes, as I think there will be shortage of them down the road.    
  • diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭

In the “big city” around here, hardly any ammo to be found.

Out here in the sticks, lots of ammo, every flavor you can think of.

Some places have a 5 box limit, some don’t.

• Gun eToolsGun eTools Member Posts: 14
     some of the factories had to stop production during the height of China virus
    Gun eTools - Mobile App To Find Gun Store and Ranges, Curated industry news and GunBroker.com mobile
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    I swear every time I get back to shooting on a regular basis some stupid panic starts up. Then I don't want to shoot any ammo I have on hand and refuse to pay the inflated prices on what little is for sale.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    One word of advice....RELOAD.... You don't save a lot of money but you shoot a lot more for the same cost as factory fodder.  Ammo shortages never impact you.  When the market is good buy bulk primers, 5,000 in a case.  buy four and eight pound powder jugs.  Cast your own bullets or get bulk bullets from wholesalers.  Then sit back and say, "what shortage"?
  • badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

I was late to the reloading party, but since I started I have been able to weather the shortages. I keep a minimum of 5000 rounds worth of components for the cartridges I shoot most, 1000 for the ones I don't. It's an up front investment that pays itself off in peace of mind for as long as you have it.  Too bad I shoot 22's more than anything!

Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭✭

I too reload and cast . Have the abilities to load approximately 10,000 rounds at present . Still buying when I find decent prices .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    I should have gotten into casting too, but never did. Oh well, live and learn!

Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    Bullet casting; a Lee 10 pound bottom pour lead pot, a rawhide mallet, a Lee six cavity mold, either tumble lube or regular.  (I MUCH prefer regular sizing in a Lubrisizer). Lee six cavity handles and you are ready to cast.  Getting even a few handfulls of wheel weights is easy.  A coffee can full will make several thousand 9MM 124RN's in short order.  You don't need the elaborate st up I have to produce thousands of FREE or almost free bullets for 9MM, 45's and a dozen different rifle calibers.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    Luckily I have about 50 years worth of ammo, saw .308 ammo today at over a $1 a round that just sucks.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    Unless?!?  100% the demoncraps will not accept Trumps re-election!!!!  The * hats haven't accepted 2016 yet!!  Trump, no matter what you think of him, has done amazing economically.  I wonder how much more Trump could have done if the demoncraps had played nice and tried to help the American people instead of trying to destroy this country.