In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hey FCD how do you know what mattress you need?

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
Short of taking them home for 30 days or whatever how can you tell if you need a firm or soft matteress?
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    While you're in the store climb up on the bed they have on display and jump up and down on it for a few minutes. Even better if you can get the wife to jump with you at the same time. If it doesn't bounce you up near the ceiling then move over to another display until you find the most bouncy one in the store. That's always worked for me. The bouncier the better. 

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    While you're in the store climb up on the bed they have on display and jump up and down on it for a few minutes. Even better if you can get the wife to jump with you at the same time. If it doesn't bounce you up near the ceiling then move over to another display until you find the most bouncy one in the store. That's always worked for me. The bouncier the better. 

And just how many offspring did all of that bouncing cause????? :D<3:p
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    Ditto the Sleep Number. Just set it to anything from "cloud" to "morgue" at will. Back sleeper? Firmer. Side sleeper? Softer.
    Hint: get the adjustable base and when you get into bed, set it to "ZeroG" for a few minutes. Before long, you'll be nodding off. Just push the Favorites button and it'll change to your pre-set position and firmness. (Ours is head very slightly up and setting 40.) ZZZzzzzzzz
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    Sure Smitty500mag , I did that a couple of years ago and it cost me $1K for a lawyer, a big fine, and 90 days home detention.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the Sleep Number was reviewed as just a high dollar adjustable fill air mattress? I bought as Serta Posturpedic Premium last time and it sucks has a dent where I sleep and I only weigh 180.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
    One might review a Kimber as just a high dollar GI .45 pistol. It'd be exactly as truthful.
  • Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭
    Google Somma waterbed, which is a generic term. It's a series of 6" dia tubes of water that run head to toe in a soft foam, fabric covered box that looks like a mattress. Depending on how much water you put in each tube, you can have a different firmness on your side then your wife's. And you don't get bounced awake when your wife turns over.  We bought ours on-line & it was less then a regular mattress & much less then the sleep#.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    A lot of us are just a few generations from sleeping on a pallet on the floor.
    Just go ahead and get something cheap. It's not like you spend a third of your life on one.

Oh...wait.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    We have had a Temperpedic/Posturpedic for the past 8-9 years. Up until the last 6 months or so it has been very comfortable. But, it is starting to break down and sag some now. We use it with a tilting base for both head and feet. I think that increases the wear speed. When I went from a box spring and pillow top mattress it was great. But, the part about not waking the other up if you toss and turn is true. But also, for the same reason it isn't the best for "gettin' busy".
    We tried sleep number for a week and took it back. Just never liked the way it felt. Perhaps if we had it longer it might have grown on us.
    Our next mattress will probably be another Temperpedic. But, my wife's sister and her husband bought a "purple mattress" a few years ago and they like it better than ours (which they previously had the same model). Allegedly it is more rebound to it helping the 'busy' aspect. o:)
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    It has been said two things in life are most important, one is a good bed and other is a good pair of shoes/boots.
    Everything else is trivial.