In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What powder

GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
What powder in large bore caliber would produce less muzzle flash. Thanks.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Faster burning powders, which will burn mostly in the barrel would be my suggestion. Unfortunately the faster burning powders. cause  pressure. increases.  Which could cause dangerous problems, if heavier bullets are used.

Get back to us, with the specific caliber and bullet weight, of the firearm you intend to reload  for.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Barrel length would make a big difference, as well as the chambering. Whatcha shooting??
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    toad67 said:
    Barrel length would make a big difference, as well as the chambering. Whatcha shooting??
    And the weight/style of the bullet. These 3 variable will help us help you.

Best.

• GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    30 mm on the A10. Pilots want less flash, input welcome. Thanks.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Geri said:
    30 mm on the A10. Pilots want less flash, input welcome. Thanks.
    Didn't know that A 10 pilots, had the option of reloading their own 30 mm canon ammo? 
    Kidding, 338 A square, 26" with muzzle brake. Blinding in low light.
    Well, we wasted 7 posts and we still don't have the information we need to help you answer your question. :(
    Muzzle flash is caused by the super heated plasma exiting the muzzle before it has a chance to cool down after pushing the bullet ahead of it. Plasma is the gas produced by the burning of smokeless powder. Smokeless powders have lots of different burning rates. What you need is a powder which burns all of its load by say mid-length of the barrel, allowing the last half of the barrel length for the plasma to cool down. Cooler plasma, less muzzle flash. 

Hopefully the 338 A-Square you're asking about is the one based on the .338-378 Weatherby case but with a standard slope shoulder (no radii). This case capacity (137 gr. of H2O) usually requires a slightly heavier bullet as opposed to a lighter bullet for a complete burn. I used an example of a 225 gr. Swift A-Frame and determined that 4 powders fit the requirements.
    Ramshot Magnum
    Norma 217
    Retumbo
    Re-25

Now,if you need more information, you need to supply more information.
    Best.

Thank you. I should have been more specific with my first post. Yes it is the 338-378 weatherby.
    Thank you for the information. We will try some of these powders. Thanks again
    Please be aware that the efficiency of powder burn usually requires a nearly full or full case to achieve efficiency. You've found that the loads provided by component and powder manufacturers are less than efficient due to the lawyer-proofing of the data. We can't blame them when they are surrounded by such a litigious society.  But you really need to work and assess load development to achieve best efficiency to overcome the potential debilitating effect of muzzle flash. So the powders I noted above might be considered to be 'slower' than normal by those who don't load to the full case capacity. But when used in the manner I suggest, you're able to find the efficiency which curbs the effect of muzzle flash. If you have questions, post or message me.

ALWAYS follow the guidelines for SAFE reloading. Pay attention to every aspect and BE SAFE.

Best.

This discussion has been closed.