In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Re: My Books and Pricing

Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
After the recent discussion here, I have managed to get the pricing of my books down at the publisher to a few cents over $30 for the pair (plus shipping). That's not as much discount as I'd like, but their rules have changed on pricing so that's the lowest I can go. I try to not make money on them. It does beat the Amazon order price, however. Print and ebook versions (which are even cheaper) here: https://www.lulu.com/spotlight/rraab
I am now out of books here so I can't offer any more signed ones for the present. I'll figure an "at cost" price for those when I get a new supply. Thanks for all your patience.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    If you haven't read Rocky's books, you are missing out on an amazing glimpse into Vietnam era aviation from a perspective which is seldom talked about: Forward Air control. RR's book Baggy Zero Four is an all time personal favorite, and I feel that it should be made into a major motion picture. 
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    " I feel that it should be made into a major motion picture."
    The only problem I can see with that is that they'd never be able to find someone handsome enough to play Rocky!

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited September 2020
    " I feel that it should be made into a major motion picture."
    The only problem I can see with that is that they'd never be able to find someone handsome enough to play Rocky!

"Fiction" or not, no one creates characters like those found in that book without drawing heavily on actual people.
    I've often wondered just how similar the book's the main character, Rusty Nale, was to Rocky Raab? 
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    Mark, I am Rusty. I wrote Baggy for a fiction contest, and therefore changed all the character names (true for both books). The name is actually an "in joke" among FACs. There was a large group of FACS with the callsign Nail XXX, and the official unit drink was the Rusty Nail. And so Rusty Naille became my character's name. Baggy is a bit more "flamboyant" than real life, but almost everything in it did happen. M58 is pretty much a diary, but with a lot of daily stuff left out.
    I suspected as much. In fact, I now like the books even more, and I didn't think that was possible. My favorite author is Herman Wouk ,and his classic The Caine Mutiny, is among my favorite novels., Wouk was a junior officer aboard a mine sweeper during WWII, so the details of shipboard life in his novel are true. Leon Uris Battle Cry, which was among the first novels that I ever read, is along the same vein: Uris was a Marine Corps rifleman during WWII. Your story is the same: a virtual firsthand account of men at war.

Although I write fan fiction stories, I envy and admire you for being a published author. 
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is WOW! I highly recommend both Baggy Zero Four and Mike Five Eight...You need to read Baggy first and as advised....Don't start it late at night or if you have a busy schedule...They are so well written it was easy to relate to the sounds, smells and feelings. Having served a tour in VN myself...What a great movie they would make! (as good if not better better than Bat 21) Thanks Rocky!

Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank YOU, Tom.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    I haven't read a whole book in probably a decade. It makes my eyes and head hurt too much. But, these certainly sound great and the promotion from the other respected GB members make me want to give it a try. I have never tried one of the "ebook text to audio converters" to see if they are worth a darn. I may have to give it a try on these.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
    edited September 2020
    Start with Baggy Zero Four. Baggy is an automatic page turner. Mike Five Eight is more serious. You'll find yourself setting that book down from time to time so as to take-in and contemplate what you have just read. 
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
    I recently got signed copies from Rocky and can't wait to start them.
    Relaxing on the sofa, in your bed, and yes, even sitting in the bathtub and turning some pages is one of life's greatest pleasures. Rocky's books are not only entertaining, they are educational and enlightening. There were far too many Vietnam veterans who felt that their story was not worth writing about. We are lucky that Rocky Raab chose to put his own story into words.