In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ruger 77/17 17 wsm

GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
No longer see any listed on GB. What happened? Was looking to own one in the future.

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    They still list it on their website in a couple of different versions. My 77/17 is in 17 HMR and I see they only make that in the American and Precision lines now. A quick online search shows everyone I checked says out of stock. Probably the big increase in gun sales the last three months has Ruger concentrating on more popular guns to keep up. Good luck in your search. Bob
  • redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭
    try Scheels in EauClaire WI  they had a used one couple weeks ago
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/877640212

It's mine, but please don't bid on it, I sent it to LF for a reason. I personally know 7 other guys who have the same gun (we had our LGS order 8 of them from the same distributor), and none of them shoot under an inch with factory loads. The triggers suck, mine averaged 7.5#, with a ton of creep. I tried both 20, and 25 grain ammo from all three that were available (Winchester, Hornady and American Eagle), and it really popped my balloon, so to speak.
    If I had found some ammo that shot relatively good, I would have spent the money on an aftermarket trigger, and seen if it would have made a difference, but couldn't seem to make the expense vs. the reward worth it.
    I did have a pile of ammo for it, since I started buying it when I could find it before the gun arrived. I sold it locally, and found that everyone that bought the ammo had a Savage, and said that it was good stuff.
    I did take a bit of a bath on the ammo, but the gun is about $100 over what I paid for it, so maybe I will come out even...

How is the Bergara 22 thing going??
    I personally know 7 other guys who have the same gun (we had our LGS order 8 of them from the same distributor), and none of them shoot under an inch with factory loads. The triggers suck, mine averaged 7.5#, with a ton of creep. I tried both 20, and 25 grain ammo from all three that were available (Winchester, Hornady and American Eagle), and it really popped my balloon, so to speak. >>>>>

pretty normal for the 17wsm , more the ammo than the guns, the ammo just not consistent enough to turn in super  tight groups
  • GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    Still considering the Bergara, but I finished a select fire in 22 wmr. McGowen barrel, This will do moa or less.
    This is very handy and easy to pack with me. I am considering one in the 17 HMR.
    Ruger stock, bedded, McGowen barrel 1 in 14 twist standard conture.  with Kidd trigger.
    vortex 4x14 scope. Did the tuning, and this really runs.

• GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    77/17/22s usually require some work to make them accurate. Triggers can be worked on to lighten the to 1.5 lbs with no problem. Need bolt shims to set the headspace to min. Bed action and float the barrel.
    2 yrs ago I worked on a 77/17 in 17 HMR and it will shoot 5/8" at 100 yds. Also lapped in the scope rings.
    That being said, rimfire ammo seems to be sensitive to variation in the priming cmp.
    Hope this helps some of you that own the 77/22/17s.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought one of the first 77/17s and with a little trigger work it will shoot at least that good and has accounted for a whole lot of p-dogs. Glad you like your McGowen barrel. The one I put an a 10/22 build is first rate and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Bob
    whole lot of difference between how a 17 HMR and the 17 WSM shoot
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    If it's not suitably accurate with factory ammo and the only ammo is factory loaded, that mostly defeats the intended purpose????
This discussion has been closed.