In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best small and lightweight handgun

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭

In your opinion, what is the best small and lightweight handgun for concealed carry?

What's next?

Comments

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Revolver or semi auto?
    Ruger LCR's
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    The one you have with you. 
    I second the LCR. Bob
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Another vote for the Ruger LCR
    Smith 642 or 637 would be a very close second for me
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,308 ***** Forums Admin
    edited September 2020
    We have two S&W model 36 with Crimson Trace grips. One is a 1-7/8" barrel "Ladysmith", and one is a 3" barrel 36-7(?). I'm an old fuddy, and lean to revolvers.

Here is the Ladysmith.

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    I have an LCR in the car, but only because it is the only handgun I have which is small enough to fit in the center console of my leaded Nissan Altima. For my money, the old S&W Model 37 remains hard to beat. 

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,308 ***** Forums Admin
    Mark, is the model 37 the aluminum alloy frame model?
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    I carry a Taurus Ultra-Lite but carry a Colt Agent when I need more capacity. Don
  • gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    "Best" leaves a lot of questions. I might suggest the most practical small handgun could be the NAA Black Widow in .22 mag. A reasonable minimum level of power & something you can almost always have with you.
    I remember when I was taking flying lessons they taught us the  most useless thing for a pilot is the gas you left behind. The same would apply for a handgun.

• FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

Revolver: Ruger LCRX

Semi-Auto: Kahr PM-9

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    Mark, is the model 37 the aluminum alloy frame model?
    It's aluminum, which means that it won't handle +P loads, or at least not many of them. +P+? Forget about it! 
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a Ruger EC9s recently that  like. Not a single failure to date.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    I carry 2 of the lightest made.  A S&W 340PD .357 Mag with a Scandium frame and Titanium cylinder that weighs 11.58 ounces that includes a set of Crimson Trace laser grips.   

And a 1st generation Kel-Tec P-3AT .380 that weighs 7.48 ounces.

Wow. Those are light. What's worse is that you have a better digital scale than I do!

Mark, it may be time to upgrade  :#
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

The S&W Shield ain't a bad way to go.

• bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    Glock 43 under the belt and/or S&W 360PD on the ankle.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
    Wow. Those are light. What's worse is that you have a better digital scale than I do!

Mark, it may be time to upgrade  :#
    I use these Amstom lab scales for reloading these days. I was wanting some scales that weighed grains to 2 decimal places and they're a bit hard to find that don't cost an arm and a leg. I wouldn't pay the price they want for these new. I just happened to find a good deal on these and bought them.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    I picked up a Ruger EC9s recently that  like. Not a single failure to date.
    What I carry. I’ve shot a lot of Wolf steel cased 9mm through it.
  • chmechme Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭
    Have a couple of old school Mdl 36s, a Model 39 (Bodyguard revolver) but I also have a Ruger LCP.  Also have an original AMT Backup in .380- works well, heavier than a boat anchor.  All will (IMHO) serve decently as a "Get OFF me!" gun.  
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    I have choices,  but seem to carry the Smith 642 the most.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    I pocket carry a model like this S&W 38  https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878258015
    Only mine is a lot older and the new models are lighter than mine.  Mine has wood grips which I think makes the draw smother than rubber grips.  Good pocket gun, draws easy and mine is accurate.   The reason I picked this type over other pocket guns was the fact I can fire it single action for accuracy when I need to yet the hammer can't hang up on my pocket.

If I was going to go with a double action only pocket gun it would be the Ruger LCR in 327 Federal.   Six rounds rather than five  the round is hot and you can run 32 H&R or 32 S&W longs if you want.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭

The Glock 48 with a few Shield Arms 15 round mags is my current go-to.

Glock 48

Shield Arms 15 round mags (3)

Dawson Fiber Optic sights.

Immensely capable, reliable and accurate package.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    SIG P238 .380 auto
    or
    SIG P938 9mm auto
    SCOUT5 said:
     The reason I picked this type over other pocket guns was the fact I can fire it single action for accuracy when I need to yet the hammer can't hang up on my pocket.

I carry a S&W 340PD snubby hammer less and I can shoot it like a single action too because I can stage the trigger. As you pull the trigger it has a definite click before the hammer falls and I can squeeze the trigger up to that point and take aim and it's no different than shooting a single action. 
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
    For pocket carry............KelTec P32...............for appendix carry............Sig P365..............or maybe a SW Shield.

• SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭
    SIG P238 .380 auto
    or
    SIG P938 9mm auto
    + 1 on these two.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Revolver S&W 642 Airweight.

Auto Kel-Tec P11.

• kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    I appreciate all of the comments and pictures.  Thanks to all who contributed!
    What's next?
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    SCOUT5 said:
     The reason I picked this type over other pocket guns was the fact I can fire it single action for accuracy when I need to yet the hammer can't hang up on my pocket.

I carry a S&W 340PD snubby hammer less and I can shoot it like a single action too because I can stage the trigger. As you pull the trigger it has a definite click before the hammer falls and I can squeeze the trigger up to that point and take aim and it's no different than shooting a single action. 
    Yep, you can stack the trigger on a double action and it makes a difference in accuracy.  Certainly a skill to practice which ever type you carry.
  • redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭
    SCOUT5 said:
    I pocket carry a model like this S&W 38  https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878258015
    Only mine is a lot older and the new models are lighter than mine.  Mine has wood grips which I think makes the draw smother than rubber grips.  Good pocket gun, draws easy and mine is accurate.   The reason I picked this type over other pocket guns was the fact I can fire it single action for accuracy when I need to yet the hammer can't hang up on my pocket.

If I was going to go with a double action only pocket gun it would be the Ruger LCR in 327 Federal.   Six rounds rather than five  the round is hot and you can run 32 H&R or 32 S&W longs if you want.
    you can also run 32acp if you really had to , there's enough of a rim on the 32acp to hold it in place , only problem with a double action revolver ejection is hit and miss, probably  have 2 or  3 to pouch out by hand,  in a single action no problem at all 

• WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    Sig P365.
    Game changer 10-12 or 15 round magazine options and a micro sized pistol with excellent ergonomics allowing it to be shot comfortably
    Everything else falls short
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭

I have 5 small guns to choose from and carry them regularly but I find myself carrying the Shield more than anything else these days. It’s an excellent little gun. If I have to go to a place like Seattle then I’ll take my Glock 32 or SIG P250C.

1. S&W Shield 9mm
    2. Taurus 850 .38 Special
    3. Ruger LCP .380
    4. Bond Arms derringer in 9mm.
    5. Springfield XD/s .45acp
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******

I have the Ruger LCP’s in 9, .380, and .22

The 22 weighs next to nothing.

• redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭
    NAA revolver 22lr/22mag
    Beretta 21a  22lr with CCI stingers
    Beretta Tomcat 32acp
    S&W Bodyguard 380  with C/T green laser
    Ruger LCR 327 mag
    Ruger LCP 380
    Ruger LC9s 9mm

• 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
    Great topic here. Have CCL but don't presently carry. Printed this out for future reference when I purchase for carry.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    Since I believe you cannot beat a revolver as a carry gun I have both the Ruger LCR and the Smith 642.   I never know which one I will grab to drop in my pocket.  I like both.  Both are as accurate as can be expected for the closeup distances they are intended for.

The big thing is I don't have to remember to wipe off the safety, I don't have to remember to chamber a round, I don't have to worry about screwing up and short stroking when chambering the round, I don't have to worry about clearing a jamb. 
    I draw, aim, pull the trigger.  
  • badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Another LCR fan here. Great DAO trigger for an inexpensive revolver. Fill it with quality self defense ammunition and you’re good to go.

Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    Ruger LCP .380 carry in one of those tiny belt holsters.  Truck gun S&W  36.
    edited September 2020
    A quick comparison of the S&W 9 mm Shield and the .38 Special S&W Model 37:

.38 vs. 9 mm can be argued forever, but the calibers are closely matched. 5 shots in the Model 37 vs 8 in the Shield is an issue, as well as the automatic's quicker reloading. Of course I just happen to like revolvers  ;)  

As always, my photos and my guns.
    Wulfmann said:
    Everything else falls short
    In your opinion.